Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much ice?

Cara444Cara444 member
First Anniversary
Does anyone know of a good way to estimate how much ice you should buy for a cocktail hour + reception? 

We're doing self-serve beer, wine, and pop for a cocktail hour and reception for 80 people, outdoors in August. We're planning on filling a canoe with ice for the main bar area, and then stocking a few other buckets as well. Extra ice will stay inside in freezers (decent amount of storage space, but still limited).

It's the canoe that's throwing me off the most. How much ice does it take to fill a canoe??

Re: How much ice?

• How many people?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2015
    The place you are getting the drinks/ice from should be able to tell you.

I was worried about this but when we talked to the liquor store who will deliver everything they just said give us the final count and what you are serving and we will make suggestions. I am now less worried.

There are also estimators online. Google sometihng like how much ice will I need? and something should pop up.

HTH!
  • What is the square footage of the canoe?

Also keep in mind since it is outdoors in August you are going to have to refill the canoe every once in a while with more ice since the ice will melt. Also you may want to drill a hole or two (then plug it up) in the canoe so that you can drain excess water if the canoe gets too full.  Same goes with the buckets.

How are you going to serve the ice?  Will the ice used for drinks be placed in coolers or ice buckets so that it stays frozen a lot longer then if it were just sitting out in the open?

• O.k...  This is "Math 101"...  If it's 70 degrees and in the shade vs. the melt rate if it's 116 in the shade on that same day...  A friend bought over 600lbs. of ice and it was all melted between the time they left for the ceremony and we got there to set up for the reception...  How much you need is really going to not only be determined by the size of the canoe and more importantly how hot it is outside!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards