Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

hors d'oeuvres -- how many?

How many passed appetizer options is a good # for 150-160 people?  4 choices? 6 choices?  What's a good number of options that you've had in the past and enjoyed? Thanks!

Re: hors d'oeuvres -- how many?

• My answer is assuming you are going to have dinner afterwards.  So I would say do 3-4 passed apps and then maybe a veggie and cheese display.

The main thing is that you have enough of the options so that you don't run out.  Oh and make sure that the servers keep their trays full and really work the crowd.  There is nothing more irritating then having the apps be solely passed and then as a guest have to try and track down a server to get a bite or two.

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    My answer is assuming you are going to have dinner afterwards.  So I would say do 3-4 passed apps and then maybe a veggie and cheese display.

The main thing is that you have enough of the options so that you don't run out.  Oh and make sure that the servers keep their trays full and really work the crowd.  There is nothing more irritating then having the apps be solely passed and then as a guest have to try and track down a server to get a bite or two.
    so much this.   I attended a wedding where the food was delayed, by what seemed like forever.  When apps finally started coming from the kitchen the waiters were ambushed in the doorway and had empty trays by the time they emerged on the other side!
  • If it's an appetizer only reception, most places I've seen recommend at least 8 per guest.  There's NOTHING worse than running out of food as it shows poor planning not only on the caterers part but yours as well (Two things people remember from weddings - was the food good and did they have a great time!)..  Absolutely to the stationary cheese/fruit/cracker station recommendation another mentioned... Years back I was at a wedding that ran out of food before half of the guest list even got something to eat - most people took off because they were hungry and left PO'd!  Ordering more than enough is better than not enough! 
  • edited July 2015
    There will be a 3 course dinner and late night snack to follow.  Also a candy bar for guests. We'll make sure to address the app/waiter/guest ratios with the hotel so no one goes without during the cocktail hour. we will also have 2 stations of food during cockatil hour -- TBD on what kind of offering.
  • There will be a 3 course dinner and late night snack to follow.  Also a candy bar for guests. We'll make sure to address the app/waiter/guest ratios with the hotel so no one goes without during the cocktail hour. we will also have 2 stations of food during cockatil hour -- TBD on what kind of offering.
    With this added information, you really only need 3 passed app options.

• Our venue had us pick out 10 passed apps - and that was the standard package with a full dinner after!  I love cocktail hour, so I'd much prefer more options - so much so that I'd skip the late night snack.  If the cocktail hour is good followed by a dinner and dessert, I'm usually too stuffed to eat anything else after anyway!

No matter how many choices you decide, just make sure you have enough and they're varied (ie one vegetarian, one seafood, one chicken, etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards