Chit Chat

Worst wedding stories...

edited July 2015 in Chit Chat
I went to my FH friends wedding. It was beautiful and well put together. Until the reception got going and the bride had one drink after another. She was never seen with the groom. They were both so drunk by 10pm (reception ended at 11pm) that they got in a drunk screaming match with each other in from of all of their guests. I'm all for having a good time but she was a drunk mess. Not classy. And to fight on your wedding night?! Wow...

Re: Worst wedding stories...

• I really don't have any great wedding stories :(  Every wedding that I have been to has gone pretty smoothly.  If there were any hiccups the guests weren't aware of them.

But I will say that at our wedding H and I were rarely with each other.  I was out on the dance floor with a glass of wine in my hand, while H was hanging out with his buddies at the bar.  H got pretty drunk (but you wouldn't have known it unless you were there when we left [last one's to leave] and the fresh night air hit him LOL) but we didn't get into a screaming match.  That is just crazy.

• I've posted about this before, but I think the craziest wedding I've personally been to was when I was a kid and my babysitter/family friend was getting married. 

The bride got cold feet right as she was supposed to walk down the aisle so she wouldn't come out. The groom went to go talk to her. After we sat around for a while people started getting antsy and someone (I think the sister of the bride or something?) decided she should come out and report what was going on. 

The groom's family got super pissed. Most of them were from the south and had all chartered a bus together to come up to the wedding, so pretty much one entire side of the church got up and walked out. They all got back on the bus and just sat there. 

The bride finally came out and decided to go through with the wedding, so another family member went out to get the people from the bus, but they were so mad that they refused to get off, and sat out there through the entire ceremony. 

As far as I know, the couple is still married (about 20 years later). 

I feel like my cold feet story isn't nearly as bad as most of the things I've read on these boards, though. 
  • I've posted about this before, but I think the craziest wedding I've personally been to was when I was a kid and my babysitter/family friend was getting married. 

The bride got cold feet right as she was supposed to walk down the aisle so she wouldn't come out. The groom went to go talk to her. After we sat around for a while people started getting antsy and someone (I think the sister of the bride or something?) decided she should come out and report what was going on. 

The groom's family got super pissed. Most of them were from the south and had all chartered a bus together to come up to the wedding, so pretty much one entire side of the church got up and walked out. They all got back on the bus and just sat there. 

The bride finally came out and decided to go through with the wedding, so another family member went out to get the people from the bus, but they were so mad that they refused to get off, and sat out there through the entire ceremony. 

As far as I know, the couple is still married (about 20 years later). 

I feel like my cold feet story isn't nearly as bad as most of the things I've read on these boards, though. 
    Oh my! That's horrible. Lol
  • I really don't have any great wedding stories :(  Every wedding that I have been to has gone pretty smoothly.  If there were any hiccups the guests weren't aware of them.

But I will say that at our wedding H and I were rarely with each other.  I was out on the dance floor with a glass of wine in my hand, while H was hanging out with his buddies at the bar.  H got pretty drunk (but you wouldn't have known it unless you were there when we left [last one's to leave] and the fresh night air hit him LOL) but we didn't get into a screaming match.  That is just crazy.
    I don't plan on being attached to FH hip either but this couple was never seen together after pictures. They didn't walk together from table to table.. They went separately. I think they may have been fighting prior to the wedding. At least that's the message the guests got! This is also the bride that a week before the wedding told my FH "just go ahead and propose.. You can always get a divorce!" um... No ...
  • H and I were together for most of the night, we love dancing together and just had a blast on the dance floor. I didn't really drink (too excited to even eat so drinking wouldn't work) and H promised me he wouldn't get too drunk (he get's super defensive when he drinks which turns into fighting...) and he didn't!

The only wedding that stands out to me is H's brother's wedding. It was a great night and everyone had a blast but all of a sudden in the last 45 min the bride was wasted. So bad that she was puking in the venue bathroom and I unknowingly went in there and saw bride with her dress around her ankles and the groom trying to help her. Knowing the wedding was coming to an end and that guests were to likely all start using the restroom before they head out (and looking for B&G to say good bye) I told the groom the bridal suite was just around the corner (with a separate bathroom) and to quickly get her in there while I get some water. Unfortunately we couldn't really get her dress back on but was able to quickly get her into the bridal suite without anyone really noticing... Now shes in just a thong laying on the ground so I decide to let her new husband and her sister take over from there!

They ended up making it to the after party though! Bride was just asleep on the couch while everyone else partied!

She was in good spirits in the morning saying how it was only bad the last 45 min but was embarrassed I saw her naked lol

Anniversary
  • I didn't see it b/c we left early (long drive home), but I went to a wedding of a co-worker and apparently she got wasted and passed out at her own reception about mid-way through.  Wish I'd been there to see it.

I can't really think of any other really bad ones...

At one the cantor fell coming down from the podium at the church.... 
  • When one of my best friends got married her groom drank waaaaaay too much and got alcohol poisoning. She was pounding on my hotel room door at 3am in a panic because he couldn't get up off the bathroom floor. So the bride and the groom's mother and I sat up all night long to make sure he didn't choke on his vomit and ready to bring him to the hospital if things didn't get better.

My H is usually pretty responsible with his drinking, but I made him promise many times that he wouldn't do that on our wedding night! He was very well-behaved, though we weren't together that much during the night, mostly because I LOVE to dance and he doesn't much, so he was mingling with the guests chatting while I boogied all night long.
  • This makes me feel like I should have a talk with my FH. Has usually not a drinker but when he's with his work friends he can get crazy.. I don't want a wasted new husband! Lol
  • This makes me feel like I should have a talk with my FH. Has usually not a drinker but when he's with his work friends he can get crazy.. I don't want a wasted new husband! Lol
    H sometimes drinks too much when he's with his buddies. And I sometimes drink too much. So we had a chat leading up to the wedding and agreed that neither of us wanted to get wasted. We wanted to actually remember the night and have a good time, and not end up on the bathroom floor totally miserable. 

H had a few beers, I had less than 2 cocktails, and it was an awesome night. We had so much fun but we remember everything lol. The one bad decision was when we decided to do whiskey shots right at the end of the night with my grad school friends cuz it's kind of our tradition (after every big exam or final we'd all go out together and do a whiskey shot) so H and I were feeling a bit rough the next day but whatever. 
  • Mine isn't necessarily a "worst wedding", but rather something I found to be super uncomfortable.

I was at a wedding where instead of having guests clink glasses to get the couple to kiss, they had to answer a trivia question about the bride and/or groom. If they got the question right, the couple kissed. if they got it wrong, then the guest had to find someone to kiss. Suuuuper uncomfortable and awkward. 
  • At my sister's wedding, she got into a big fight with our mom in the hotel room during the "getting ready" portion before the wedding. Sister told mom she wanted her at the hotel at a specific time so she could have her there with her while everyone was getting ready. Mom went out sight-seeing with our aunt and wasn't answering her cell phone, and was nowhere to be found. She strolled in about an hour and a half late, with barely a half hour to go before everyone had to leave for the ceremony. Sister (who has no filter and tends to be very brash) totally ripped into her. Mom became upset, ran out of the room, down the hallway to the room she shared with Dad where he was getting ready, and threw Dad out of the room in his boxers and locked herself in the room. She wailed and cried that she wasn't coming tot he wedding.

Dad came down to our room, not even half dressed, yelled at my sister to go apologize to Mom so she would unlock the door and come out of the room. 

At my other sister's wedding a few months later, Mom got into a fight with my other sister. Mom kept bugging Sister about getting her dress dry-cleaned and ironed the day before the wedding, asking Sister to take it somewhere and pick it up (it was an OOT wedding for us but local for Sister). Sister finally snapped "Mom, I DON'T HAVE TIME. I have to do this, and that, and still have to do this! You can find a dry cleaner yourself, or ask so-and-so!"

Mom got upset, locked herself in the car in a grumpy mood, and refused to speak to anyone until Sister apologized to her. She spent the rest of the day and half of the rehearsal dinner not speaking to anyone.

Makes me wonder what sort of surprises I'm in for at my wedding in November.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Mine isn't necessarily a "worst wedding", but rather something I found to be super uncomfortable.

I was at a wedding where instead of having guests clink glasses to get the couple to kiss, they had to answer a trivia question about the bride and/or groom. If they got the question right, the couple kissed. if they got it wrong, then the guest had to find someone to kiss. Suuuuper uncomfortable and awkward. 
    That is really awkward! FH and I are talking about that now.. We don't want to hear clink clink clink all night so we are thinking have the dj announce the only way we will miss on command is if the whole table stands and songs a love song. We are hoping no one does it. Otherwise.. We ignore the clinking and hope people get the hint.
  • At my sister's wedding, she got into a big fight with our mom in the hotel room during the "getting ready" portion before the wedding. Sister told mom she wanted her at the hotel at a specific time so she could have her there with her while everyone was getting ready. Mom went out sight-seeing with our aunt and wasn't answering her cell phone, and was nowhere to be found. She strolled in about an hour and a half late, with barely a half hour to go before everyone had to leave for the ceremony. Sister (who has no filter and tends to be very brash) totally ripped into her. Mom became upset, ran out of the room, down the hallway to the room she shared with Dad where he was getting ready, and threw Dad out of the room in his boxers and locked herself in the room. She wailed and cried that she wasn't coming tot he wedding.

Dad came down to our room, not even half dressed, yelled at my sister to go apologize to Mom so she would unlock the door and come out of the room. 

At my other sister's wedding a few months later, Mom got into a fight with my other sister. Mom kept bugging Sister about getting her dress dry-cleaned and ironed the day before the wedding, asking Sister to take it somewhere and pick it up (it was an OOT wedding for us but local for Sister). Sister finally snapped "Mom, I DON'T HAVE TIME. I have to do this, and that, and still have to do this! You can find a dry cleaner yourself, or ask so-and-so!"

Mom got upset, locked herself in the car in a grumpy mood, and refused to speak to anyone until Sister apologized to her. She spent the rest of the day and half of the rehearsal dinner not speaking to anyone.

Seems like if you tip toe around mom all will go smoothly! Yikes.

That is really awkward! FH and I are talking about that now.. We don't want to hear clink clink clink all night so we are thinking have the dj announce the only way we will miss on command is if the whole table stands and songs a love song. We are hoping no one does it. Otherwise.. We ignore the clinking and hope people get the hint.
    I've never heard of this glass clinking tradition. Now I'm sitting here wondering if there was a bunch of clinking at our wedding that I never noticed and/or we had a bunch of disappointed guests hoping to see more smoochies...

I've never heard of this glass clinking tradition. Now I'm sitting here wondering if there was a bunch of clinking at our wedding that I never noticed and/or we had a bunch of disappointed guests hoping to see more smoochies...

Be lucky you ignored it! It's like nails on a chalk board to me. Haha
    Mine was wasted.  Passed out on the floor of our hotel room while we were getting ready to head out to a local bar.  Didn't ruin my night cause I still went out while he slept it off.  He certainly felt it the next day but he had a kick ass time at the wedding and remembers 99% of it so that is really all that matters.

But luckily I have a H who is a happy drunk can still control himself.

Nobody clinked or did anything to try to get us to kiss at our wedding. I don't know if it's just not a thing in either of our families, or if it's not very common these days, or what. But I was glad. 

Mine was wasted.  Passed out on the floor of our hotel room while we were getting ready to head out to a local bar.  Didn't ruin my night cause I still went out while he slept it off.  He certainly felt it the next day but he had a kick ass time at the wedding and remembers 99% of it so that is really all that matters.

He is a happy drunk but I want him to remember our wedding night. I think it's unclassy when the bride or groom is wasted before the reception ends. Its a party we are hosting to thank our guests.. We should be able to say goodbye and thank you at the end of the night. The after party.. That is a different story!
  • To avoid the clinking, tables had to stand up and say a Hawaiian love phrase (in Hawaiian).  We had cards on the table to help, but it was pretty funny.  It was things like I love you, Forever, you're beautiful, etc.  

• We are not having any glassware at all, so hopefully we'll avoid the glass clinking!  
    Married 9.12.15

Well, let's hope someone else can be in charge of mom.   Is she normally a drama queen? 

We're doing the love song thing too to avoid the clinking. The clinking makes me cringe. My sister did the song thing at her wedding last year and it worked really well. Really toned down the amount of times people were 'demanding' a kiss, and took the pressure off the bride and groom because more people were focusing on the people singing the love song. 

***** He is a happy drunk but I want him to remember our wedding night. I think it's unclassy when the bride or groom is wasted before the reception ends. Its a party we are hosting to thank our guests.. We should be able to say goodbye and thank you at the end of the night. The after party.. That is a different story!
    Well then I guess my H is unclassy to you.  But we had already said thank you to everyone and talked to everyone before he got drunk, a little thing called table visits, (not like it was his plan to get drunk, things just happen) so that once the party kicked into gear we could actually enjoy ourselves along with our guests and not have to worry that we missed someone or didn't say our thank yous.

• Luckily, I can't recall any doozies in behavior at weddings. Lots of happy drunks, sure, but nothing obnoxious. An occasional guest barfing in the bathroom but nothing that ruins the evening for anyone but the person barfing. 

FWIW, my guests did the clinky-glasses thing and DH and I were happy to oblige. It didn't bother us. 

Now then, my friends have other stories about goings-on at weddings... Like the engaged bridesmaid who slept with the bride's brother after the reception. I saw that chick's own wedding photos on FB months later and she looked nothing but tense, not happy, in all the photos. Ugh. 

He is a happy drunk but I want him to remember our wedding night. I think it's unclassy when the bride or groom is wasted before the reception ends. Its a party we are hosting to thank our guests.. We should be able to say goodbye and thank you at the end of the night. The after party.. That is a different story!

Well then I guess my H is unclassy to you.  But we had already said thank you to everyone and talked to everyone before he got drunk, a little thing called table visits, (not like it was his plan to get drunk, things just happen) so that once the party kicked into gear we could actually enjoy ourselves along with our guests and not have to worry that we missed someone or didn't say our thank yous.

Every circle is different and every wedding is different. I would never say your H is unclassy.. I don't even know him. I just have seen it happen so many times that the groom is too drunk to even go around to tables and say thank you. That's not right. If it happened after that... Then you have every right to enjoy the party! I'm sorry I came off as snarky. :)
  • banana468 said:
    At my sister's wedding, she got into a big fight with our mom in the hotel room during the "getting ready" portion before the wedding. Sister told mom she wanted her at the hotel at a specific time so she could have her there with her while everyone was getting ready. Mom went out sight-seeing with our aunt and wasn't answering her cell phone, and was nowhere to be found. She strolled in about an hour and a half late, with barely a half hour to go before everyone had to leave for the ceremony. Sister (who has no filter and tends to be very brash) totally ripped into her. Mom became upset, ran out of the room, down the hallway to the room she shared with Dad where he was getting ready, and threw Dad out of the room in his boxers and locked herself in the room. She wailed and cried that she wasn't coming tot he wedding.

Well, let's hope someone else can be in charge of mom.   Is she normally a drama queen? 

Ohhhh YES.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• banana468 said:
    At my sister's wedding, she got into a big fight with our mom in the hotel room during the "getting ready" portion before the wedding. Sister told mom she wanted her at the hotel at a specific time so she could have her there with her while everyone was getting ready. Mom went out sight-seeing with our aunt and wasn't answering her cell phone, and was nowhere to be found. She strolled in about an hour and a half late, with barely a half hour to go before everyone had to leave for the ceremony. Sister (who has no filter and tends to be very brash) totally ripped into her. Mom became upset, ran out of the room, down the hallway to the room she shared with Dad where he was getting ready, and threw Dad out of the room in his boxers and locked herself in the room. She wailed and cried that she wasn't coming tot he wedding.

Ohhhh YES.
    I would advise that you keep your distance from mom on the wedding day. Or ask an aunt, one of your sisters, someone to keep her distracted and happy. (My dad's sister offered to have her husband take my dad out and get him drunk to keep him happy and away from me during my wedding day). 
  • I posted about this awhile back. I went to a wedding where the groom and groomsmen went out the night before the wedding (after the rehearsal dinner). Luckily the groom left the bar and made it home ok, but 2 of the groomsmen were not so fortunate. They tried to drive home completely intoxicated and were pulled over. Both were arrested and spent the night in jail. Only one of them made it to the wedding the next day. I felt bad for the bride and groom but of course they were happy to just be married!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I posted about this awhile back. I went to a wedding where the groom and groomsmen went out the night before the wedding (after the rehearsal dinner). Luckily the groom left the bar and made it home ok, but 2 of the groomsmen were not so fortunate. They tried to drive home completely intoxicated and were pulled over. Both were arrested and spent the night in jail. Only one of them made it to the wedding the next day. I felt bad for the bride and groom but of course they were happy to just be married!

Oh my! Haha that's why the Bach parties will not be the night before. Its like the hangover part 3!
  • banana468 said:

Ohhhh YES.
    I would advise that you keep your distance from mom on the wedding day. Or ask an aunt, one of your sisters, someone to keep her distracted and happy. (My dad's sister offered to have her husband take my dad out and get him drunk to keep him happy and away from me during my wedding day). 
    This. It's actually a bit of advice that H and I got from our officiant - she asked if there was anyone who could potentially cause a negative scene or other drama during the wedding (in our case it was my MIL). Ask someone who is understanding of that situation to try to distract them/curb their behavior.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards