Registry and Gift Forum

Under $50 Gifts for Registry

My fiance and I have lived together for four years and we have everything that we need except for the big stuff (standing mixer, camping tent, nice blender, etc.) but we're having trouble coming up with enough gifts that are under $50. In total, we're going to have three separate showers and then the wedding. We're really struggling to come up with what else to add! I'm grasping at straws here- I added some exercise equipment, outdoor things, and some tools already. Any advice? 

Re: Under $50 Gifts for Registry

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    One thing I found to be helpful was going through the websites where I registered and looking at their "most registered for" or recommended lists.  Heck, many people's registries are public, just look at those.  

Things like towels are always useful and people seem to like to buy them (plus they're easy to pack in a suitcase if needed).  I registered for both bath towels and dish towels.  We don't entirely need them this second, but both are items that need to be replaced fairly often.  Same for glassware.  I registered for another set of what I have, because they eventually break (like I only have 7 right now, instead of 8).  

You mention a tent, can you register for camping stuff to go along with the tent?  Like camping friendly dishes and utensils, a cast iron dutch oven, camping chairs, lanterns etc?  

For the kitchen, what about extra tupperware type storage items?  Jars/canisters for flour, sugar, etc?  I registered for extra tongs in different lengths, because I always feel like mine are dirty when I need a set.  Also registered for grilling items like cedar planks, and a grilling basket for vegetables.  Things like aluminum sheet pans in different sizes can always come in handy.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'd go section by section on the store's website.  I got most of my "oh yeah, we could use that!" moments doing that.
  • I think PP have great ideas!

Also if you really do not need a lot of gifts you might want to decline one or two of the showers as they are physical gift giving events. If the host wants to put on a gathering it could be a tea or a lunch, which would allow you to get to see everyone but would not be a gift giving event.

HTH!
  • What about nice placemats and linen napkins?

Do you like to grill out?  You can add grilling supplies, melamine plates for eating outside, sticks for roasting marshmallows, etc.

Depending on when your showers are you can register for Christmas (if you celebrate) or other holiday items.  I would love to buy someone a nativity set or a nice tree topper that I know will be loved and used every year.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Ohhh yeah placemats and napkins!  I have some of those.  We got a new table earlier this year and it can seat up to 8 people, and all my sets I have are 4-6.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • My fiance and I have lived together for four years and we have everything that we need except for the big stuff (standing mixer, camping tent, nice blender, etc.) but we're having trouble coming up with enough gifts that are under $50. In total, we're going to have three separate showers and then the wedding. We're really struggling to come up with what else to add! I'm grasping at straws here- I added some exercise equipment, outdoor things, and some tools already. Any advice? 
    Where are you registered for the tent?  Wherever that is, pick through their kitchen/dining/gadgety sections and you will probably find several items you never thought about and would love to have.  Whenever we go to the mountains, I end up buying a bunch of things we "need."  (Last time, it was the kind of roasting forks for marshmallows/hot dogs where you turn the handle and the whole thing rotates, like a rotisserie; pie irons; and a thing for popping corn over a fire.) 

Do you have Hydro Flasks?  They're my latest obsession--they're not cheap, but they will keep liquids hot/cold for a really long time.  It's been in the mid-to-upper 90's here all summer, and when I send my daughter to camp with one in the morning, her water is still cold when I pick her up.  So if you're outsdoorsy and you might otherwise think twice about spending $30-ish on a water bottle, that might work.  Stuff like that.
  • All the cast iron cookware!

Lanterns

All linens - tableclothes, napkins, placements, kitchen towels, bath towels, etc.

Camping chairs

Outdoor eating and drinking utensils

Those adorable wine stakes!

Those single ENO Nest hammocks are like $60. It's not quite $50, but close enough right?

• labro said:

Those single ENO Nest hammocks are like $60. It's not quite $50, but close enough right?
    We have a double nest and that thing is awesome.  <3  Probably too far out of the $50 budget, but still wanted to share some ENO love.  :)
  • Take this as an opportunity to go through your kitchen and linen closet.  What is on its last leg?  What has seen better days?  What could you use more of? What would you like to update?

Frankly, I am regularly replacing potholders (gas stoves are their worst enemy), rubber spatulas and towels.  How have your dishes held up?  Will your current dishes and glassware accommodate your needs in the future?  Are they still available? Register for more.  Will you need to replace a skillet or cookie sheet?

While sheets can be  more than $50, pillow cases tend to be inexpensive, and in my opinion, need to be changed more frequently than sheets.  Have you registered for extra pillowcases?

You mentioned a mixer and blender.  Have you registered for attachments for them?  Extra bowls? If you registered for a pasta maker, have you registered for a pasta drying rack?

Do you entertain? Is there anything you would want to add to update what you use for entertaining? Are there any decorative things you could add, like frames, mirror, vases etc?

For camping, would adding an extra set or two of flatware or dishes help? Flashlights?
  • I'm in the same position - an older 1st time bride with all the basics covered. I caved and registered for a ton of $20-50 gifts and got them all (sometimes multiples). I returned them and bought the more expensive lifetime pieces that I didn't have and would make our holidays special. In many cases, my guests purchased multiple lower priced items that came to the same price as a more expensive item. i think they got me confused with a younger bride just starting out - I'm flattered :-) ironically, I didn't get the mixer attachments or the bedding or most of the towels. Extra bar tools, cutting boards, salad shakers, small electrics - those types of things were extra popular.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards