October 2016 Weddings

When to register?

Hello all. My fiancé and I got engaged on Christmas Eve of 2014 after being together for 6 years. Although we aren't getting married unit October of 2016, I am old fashioned and I do not live with him yet. Therefore we have no "stuff" together as many couples today do, especially if they have been together as long as we have (I live in a small studio and he has a much bigger condo style apartment). I consider myself a very laid back bride to be and really haven't done anything for the wedding yet except book my ceremony and reception venue. However, the fact that we won't be moving in together until August of next year has me worried about the registry. When should we start it? Should we wait a few more month before we do? No matter where we live (house, apt, condo) we essentially need the same things, right? Ideas? Thanks much! 

Re: When to register?

• I have already started (read: practically finished) our registries. We live together and pretty much have everything that we need, but there are some things that we would like to update - like my little $10.00 hot pink toaster that I got from Target on Black Friday when I was in college because it was cheap and I could conceal it in my desk drawer. In addition to updating/replacing items in our linens, bakeware and cookware, we've also registered for stuff that we like to do together (camping, gardening, etc). As far as I know, you really aren't restricted on when you can register.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Be careful going to early places like kohls will frequently clearance out items and no longer carry them and this just does not apply to seasonal items.
    I use to work at kohls and count less times I had to tell people shipping registries that the majority of the items are no longer available or have been clearanced (so chances are we no longer have them or enough)
    If you do register now make sure you check it often to make sure nothing has stopped being carried
  • leroweb said:
    Be careful going to early places like kohls will frequently clearance out items and no longer carry them and this just does not apply to seasonal items. I use to work at kohls and count less times I had to tell people shipping registries that the majority of the items are no longer available or have been clearanced (so chances are we no longer have them or enough) If you do register now make sure you check it often to make sure nothing has stopped being carried
    All of this; anything that I've registered for is still currently in stock, and while I don't foresee any of it going out of stock because they're all basic stuff, I do have a separate list of things on my computer that I can easily swap stuff out for. Any of our seasonal registry items are not registered for for this very reason; they'll be added closer to the date.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did our registry and we were told not to choose anything on clearance already and to check in periodically to make sure the items are still in stock. We live together so it's mainly upgraded or items we have on our wish list ( a certain pressure cooker with a canning option for example) but I d say 3 or 4 months before the wedding. Most people don't buy gifts extremely early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards