Chit Chat
Options

Long weekend getaway needed, thoughts?

Hi there!

I neeeeeed a vacation. I have some airline miles to burn (a use-it-or-lose-it situation unless I buy, like, a magazine subscription) and more vacation time than I know what to do with (and more than DH by far). (I know, I know, FWP.) 

Since it's just going to be me, I really want to do a spa resort. I have enough miles for a domestic ticket and am thinking Arizona-- Phoenix and Scottsdale and Sedona appear to have beautiful resorts. 

Would it be seriously unwise to go there in mid-August? I just want to sit by a pool all weekend and maybe get a massage or something else fun. I'm a pale Midwesterner so just not sure if this would be a stupid thing to do. Looks like the resorts are cheaper right now than they would be in winter specifically because of the weather. 

Thoughts? Any other ideas for a domestic solo getaway? Thanks!  

Re: Long weekend getaway needed, thoughts?

• Options
    I know of nothing of the area, but I know Phoenix is stupid hot right now.  About 100F on some days.  Still, I'd happily sit in the heat by a pool under a shady umbrella in that heat.  I'm so jealous that you're doing this

• Options
    I was in Arizona in late July. Never again. It was 112 degrees. 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    AZ is fucking hot this time of year.  They have dashboard protectors for their car's it's so damn hot.

I would try to push it to mid-to-late Sept if possible.  Still hot, but not as stupid hot.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I lived in Phoenix for years and yes the summer is way too brutal to sit by the pool. You are just absolutely scorched and dying and the pool water is like 92 degrees so that doesn't help. However, Sedona is one of my most favorite places in the country. It's stunning, and since it's further north and higher in elevation it's only in the 80s-90s. I mean still hot as balls but would be much more enjoyable than Phoenix area. Is San Diego an option? I love it there in summer, as it's usually about 80 degrees and you could get some relaxing ocean time.

• Options
    I don't remember where you're from, but what about the NE? There's a bunch of spas up in MA and NH you could check out. 
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    Hi there!

I neeeeeed a vacation. I have some airline miles to burn (a use-it-or-lose-it situation unless I buy, like, a magazine subscription) and more vacation time than I know what to do with (and more than DH by far). (I know, I know, FWP.) 

Since it's just going to be me, I really want to do a spa resort. I have enough miles for a domestic ticket and am thinking Arizona-- Phoenix and Scottsdale and Sedona appear to have beautiful resorts. 

Would it be seriously unwise to go there in mid-August? I just want to sit by a pool all weekend and maybe get a massage or something else fun. I'm a pale Midwesterner so just not sure if this would be a stupid thing to do. Looks like the resorts are cheaper right now than they would be in winter specifically because of the weather. 

Holy crap yes that would be a seriously stupid thing to do.  The average high in Phoenix in August is 104.  They don't even go sit out by the pool.  The zoo closes at 2pm because it's so stupid hot there even for the animals.  There's a reason it's cheaper.  (If you want to buy into that "but it's a dry heat" thing, go ahead, but I'm sorry, it's still f'ing hot).  Sedona might be slightly more tolerable, but not by much.

Personally, I'd look into New Mexico for much more tolerable weather (Taos, Santa Fe, maybe even Albuquerque) in the summer if you're set on that part of the country.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I had previously looked for September, October, and November, and the AZ resorts definitely increased in price.  Noted that Sedona would be better than Phoenix. 

Funny San Diego is mentioned; my sister and I did that as a long weekend a few years back. I went from the airport to the beach and it was grand ;-)

I haven't been to MA or NH yet but would like to!  I'll search for that and see what I come up with. 
    Being in Chicago gives me a lot of options as it's a hub for AA, which is the airline for which I'm going to use the miles. 

• Options
    LOL noted that my original plan is stupid. You guys rock! 

• Options
    I agree with checking out the east coast.  Even the Carolinas are warm but not absurd and an easy getaway when flying AA.
  • Options
    Chicago is like a 3 hour flight from everything good, lots of choices!

• Options
    Hi there!

Ugh, I'm SO with you in needing a vacation. I'm going to North Carolina next week for 7 days to visit my folks and get away from work and wedding stuff. And then my mom and I are going to Beaufort, NC for the Pirate Festival (yeah, yeah, I know :). Supposed to be mid-80s, so I'll second the PP who mentioned that the Carolinas (beaches) may be a nice place to go right about now. Just…don't go in the water.

What sort of things do you like to do? Are you just looking for a spa getaway? Do you like wine or beer tasting? Hiking? Beaches?
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Welp, I just did an exhaustive search of New England (lol) and can't get there with my miles on the dates that I want. 

Will check the Carolinas next, although I thought it was rather humid there and was hoping to avoid humidity. (If I wanted humid, I'd stay in Chicago. Blugh.)

I was stuck on the idea of a spa getaway specifically because it's just going to be me, and DH wouldn't enjoy that. We're normally power-tourists and love going to museums and doing stuff like wine tasting. He does not like hiking though, so I was looking for a place with spas and pretty scenery. True, hiking in high heat isn't a wise idea either, but the option would be nice. 

• Options
    The closest airport is Durango (1 hour drive), but I loved Pagosa Springs, CO!  It's amazing!  Lots of great hikes to do, but also they have hot springs!  The main hot spring resort is called The Springs Resort.  You can get all types of spa services and use their hot springs as well.  The town is really cool with lots of great micro breweries.  H & I can't wait to go back!
  • Options
    Welp, I just did an exhaustive search of New England (lol) and can't get there with my miles on the dates that I want. 

Will check the Carolinas next, although I thought it was rather humid there and was hoping to avoid humidity. (If I wanted humid, I'd stay in Chicago. Blugh.)

I was stuck on the idea of a spa getaway specifically because it's just going to be me, and DH wouldn't enjoy that. We're normally power-tourists and love going to museums and doing stuff like wine tasting. He does not like hiking though, so I was looking for a place with spas and pretty scenery. True, hiking in high heat isn't a wise idea either, but the option would be nice. 

If you stay on the coast, it's breezy enough to not be bad.  I'm going to Greenville, SC Tuesday so I can let you know how the weather is.  I'm a Detroiter, so I'm not a hot weather person:).  In fact, Chicago is my weekend getaway city (2 more weeks!!)
  • Options
    The closest airport is Durango (1 hour drive), but I loved Pagosa Springs, CO!  It's amazing!  Lots of great hikes to do, but also they have hot springs!  The main hot spring resort is called The Springs Resort.  You can get all types of spa services and use their hot springs as well.  The town is really cool with lots of great micro breweries.  H & I can't wait to go back!
    CO is great this time of year.  Where I am the highs are in the mid-80's and the lows in the 50s.  

Checkout Groupon.  I've seen some good getaways for some CO resorts that also have spas.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

If you stay on the coast, it's breezy enough to not be bad.  I'm going to Greenville, SC Tuesday so I can let you know how the weather is.  I'm a Detroiter, so I'm not a hot weather person:).  In fact, Chicago is my weekend getaway city (2 more weeks!!)
    I'm flying into Greenville Tuesday night!

OP….come to Northern California…. ;) 
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I was also going to throw CO out there, as I'm a bit biased.  Up by where Linda is is awesome this time of year...anywhere in the mountains where there's ski resorts will have what you seek.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    What about Coeur d'Alene Idaho?  They have a beautiful resort there and some smaller hikes in the area.  And Spokane is 30 if you wanted to shop.  Not sure exactly what there is, but my cousins/aunt/uncle go all the time

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Yes, I'll check Colorado next! Good reminder on Groupon, completely forgot about that.

Edit- if anyone ever needs Chicago getaway advice I'm happy to give it ;-)  

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    I was also going to throw CO out there, as I'm a bit biased.  Up by where Linda is is awesome this time of year...anywhere in the mountains where there's ski resorts will have what you seek.
    The saying is "Come for the winter, stay for the summer."

It's true, summer here is amazing.  Even better then the winter.   Tons of things to do.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    The saying is "Come for the winter, stay for the summer."

It's true, summer here is amazing.  Even better then the winter.   Tons of things to do.
    Yup I'd rather go up there in the summer.  Some friends of ours got married at Copper Mountain a few years ago in June and it was absolutely gorgeous.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    This time of year I'd go to the Pacific Northwest or the Rocky Mountains (think Olympic peninsula, Bend OR, Jackson WY, Aspen CO...). There are luxury spas and resorts pretty much everywhere. I think there are a bunch of natural hot springs in WA and OR.
  • Options
    This time of year I'd go to the Pacific Northwest or the Rocky Mountains (think Olympic peninsula, Bend OR, Jackson WY, Aspen CO...). There are luxury spas and resorts pretty much everywhere. I think there are a bunch of natural hot springs in WA and OR.
    I've been to the WA/Seattle are win August and September and its been beautiful each time. Woodinville is just outside of Seattle and has an awesome spa lodge (Willows Lodge) and lots of wine tasting in the immediate area. Their spa is good, too. Went there for my 30th birthday.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I'm flying into Greenville Tuesday night!

OP….come to Northern California…. ;) 
    I'll have to wear a rose on my lapel so you can spot me at GSP hahaha.  
  • Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I live in Phoenix. Sedona is GORGEOUS, but I've never been to any spa's there so can't speak to that. 

If you just want a relaxing weekend, I wouldn't count out Phoenix/Scottsdale now. Yes, it's warm, but I really don't think it's unbearable (or maybe I'm used to it?). You won't be going for hikes during the day, but you can sit by the pool in the morning, until 11 or so, take a break, get an afternoon massage, and then the weather is nice enough again that you can enjoy a patio for dinner, take a walk, etc. Under a shaded umbrella with water to drink, you could even be by the pool in the heat of the day, in my opinion. Another perk is that kids go back to school in the next week or two, so most of the resorts will be pretty kid free (a lot of locals do staycations in the summers with kids).

There's been a little humidity lately because it is the thick of monsoon season, but it still isn't too bad. Let me know if you'd like more info or suggestions. 
  • Options
    cgss11 said:
    I live in Phoenix. Sedona is GORGEOUS, but I've never been to any spa's there so can't speak to that. 

If you just want a relaxing weekend, I wouldn't count out Phoenix/Scottsdale now. Yes, it's warm, but I really don't think it's unbearable (or maybe I'm used to it?). You won't be going for hikes during the day, but you can sit by the pool in the morning, until 11 or so, take a break, get an afternoon massage, and then the weather is nice enough again that you can enjoy a patio for dinner, take a walk, etc. Under a shaded umbrella with water to drink, you could even be by the pool in the heat of the day, in my opinion. Another perk is that kids go back to school in the next week or two, so most of the resorts will be pretty kid free (a lot of locals do staycations in the summers with kids).

There's been a little humidity lately because it is the thick of monsoon season, but it still isn't too bad. Let me know if you'd like more info or suggestions. 
    Did you say no kids? Ooooo! (I like kids, but a relaxing getaway would have minimal amounts of kids, lol.)

This is basically me right now. 

• Options

I really like Phoenix and agree that even if it's crazyhot, as long as you're by the pool you should be fine.  It seems to fit the bill of what you're looking for.

Alternatively, what about Lake Louise in Banff National Park, Alberta?  Everyone seems to love it and it seems beautiful and relaxing:

http://www.fairmont.com/lake-louise/

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=575&q=lake+louise+banff+hot+springs&oq=lake+louise+banff+hot+springs&gs_l=img.3...1227.6313.0.6456.33.16.1.13.5.0.371.1681.8j5j0j1.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..15.18.1630.UxnhPNvX7bA

• Options
    @vikinganna87 - I was totally going to suggest Banff or Jasper, but OP is using air points and she only has enough for domestic.  Even though we're sure it's closer to Chicago than some places, airlines will kill you on points just cos it's "international"

• Options
    @WinstonsGirl  Aaaah that makes sense!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards