Getting in Shape

Getting married in two months!

My wedding date is 10/2/15 so I keep telling myself that starting 8/2/15 (exactly two months before) I will start eating better and try to lose a few pounds. I really only have 15ish pounds to lose. I ordered my dress in the correct size so when it comes in the end of August, it shouldn't need much for alterations. My problem is I LOVE to eat! Sweets especially. And I HATE to exercise. Bad combo! But I want to be able to look back on my photos and be proud of how I look. Any ideas at all to help encourage or motivate me?!

Re: Getting married in two months!

• I think trying to lose 15 pounds now is unwise.  Mainly because alterations for your dress are going to need to be started at the beginning or mid August.  So if you lose weight you will need to continually alter your dress which will mean $$$.

I think your best bet right now is to not worry about losing a certain amount of weight but rather just start eating better.  Use the 80/20 rule...80% of the time you eat healthy but the other 20% of the time you allow yourself a tasty treat.  Also don't worry about going crazy on the workout train.  Just add in some walking.  Try to hit a certain amount of steps a day (5,000 or whatever) or say "I am going to walk a mile every other day."

So don't focus on the weight, just focus on getting yourself feeling better and eating healthier. And not to mention that losing 15 pounds in 2 months is A LOT of weight to lose especially when you should only be losing a pound a week if you are in a "normal" weight range already.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    Going to have to agree with Maggie here. (generally do anyways)  Trying to lose 15 pounds puts way too much pressure on you for the last few months leading up to your wedding.    You are setting yourself up for failure.

Can I ask, if you ordered the right size, why the need to lose 15 pounds?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Losing 15 pounds in just two months is really, really hard. 

Cut out all sweets and processed foods out of your diet. Don't keep any snack foods in your house. Keep healthy things on hand to snack on. Try to do something active every day, even if it's just walking. Do you belong to a gym?
  • edited July 2015
    I am an appropriate weight for my height already. I guess I just don't want to look back on my pics and feel like I didn't make any effort to tone up or anything! I definitely can stand to lose 15ish pounds but am not really overweight, per se.
  • I no longer belong to a gym because I never went and was wasting the $$!
  • Instead of trying to lose weight, try to tone up some. If you're not overweight, sometimes that can be better for appearance than a lower number.

Start doing squats. Buy some light weighs and tone your arms. Do crunches. Even a few weeks of regular toning exercises can increase body confidence.

• If you are the "appropriate" weight, 15lbs can have a big effect on the dress not fitting.  If you bought the dress at the weight you are now, I would not take that risk.

FWIW - I'm not overweight.   Me losing 15lbs moves me from med/large to small/med (depending on the maker).

If you want to tone, have you tried pilates and/or yoga?  I love pilates.  I really see a difference in muscles. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with Maggie and Lynda.  Losing 15lbs when your not overweight could drastically change the way your dress fits.

I would recommend just some simple toning with Pilates or Yoga or even some light weight training.  No more than 5-8lb weights with 15 reps of each exercise.  You'll get some definition, but it shouldn't make a huge difference with the way your dress fits.  

And in terms of diet, use My Fitness Pal to track what your eating, everyone loves it on this board and helps keep each of us accountable.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I literally am the laziest person. I HATE to sweat! My sister and I are going to try a free trial at a barre studio. Other than that, I can probably handle hula hooping in my living room while watching TV and then doing some arm stuff with three pound weights I already own.

I am a street size 10. I tried on my dress in a 10 and it was tight so I ordered the 12. It won't be in until the end of August. I really hope it fits without any alterations needed!

• I literally am the laziest person. I HATE to sweat! My sister and I are going to try a free trial at a barre studio. Other than that, I can probably handle hula hooping in my living room while watching TV and then doing some arm stuff with three pound weights I already own.

I am a street size 10. I tried on my dress in a 10 and it was tight so I ordered the 12. It won't be in until the end of August. I really hope it fits without any alterations needed!

Most women find they don't wear their street size in a wedding dress.  I wore 2 sizes larger than my normal street size!  I find that's the case with many women.  Did you actually try on the 12 or were you measured for it....or were you just assuming that would fit?
  • Focus on tone, not about a number on the scale.  Which means hit the weights, and not the baby weights either (if it's a color other than gray or black, leave it alone!), something that's going to make an impact.  Link up with a good trainer for weights.  If you look more in-shape than they do, they aren't the right person to train you.  Women cannot bulk, so you've got nothing to worry about.

15lbs. in two months, really, you've got to be kidding me!  At that point it becomes what a buddy of mine told me years ago "The only thing you need to know about cutting weight is water weighs 8.5lbs. to the gallon"...  Really 15lbs. in two months when you aren't significantly overweight is just setting you up for long-term problems health-wise if you drop that much in that short of a time-span. 

As for the dress sizing, doesn't matter what size it comes in, it's all in how it fits once you have a chance to put it on with all the right undergarments.  The dresses on the rack often have a chance to "stretch" because of being put on and taken off so many times so even that isn't an accurate measure. 

You only get what you give.  If you don't want to get into the gym and fix the diet, don't complain about how you look, own it.  If you're doing everything you can to look great in the dress, own it!  One of the reason most of my female powerlifting friends got into the sport is so that they can eat what they want without having to worry about the consequences all the time because of the number of calories they burn!!

• I was measured and the store said I was between a 12 and 14. They said if I was planning to lose a bit of weight before the wedding, then to order the 12. So that's what I did.

I am trying to eat better for the next two months. And see what happens!

• FWIW eating well alone will do WONDERS for how you look, even without exercise. It does a lot more than the other way (exercise while eating like crap). Originally I wanted to lose weight for my wedding (11/7), but once I started eating better and walking a ton (not by choice, I have to for work), I started loving how my body was looking and losing weight took a back seat (it took no seat at all actually - I have not weighed myself in months). Anyway, TLDR; just eat whole healthy foods the majority of the time (as PP suggested 80/20 is a good rule, and I even go down to 70/30 some weeks and am still fine) and you'll notice changes. Either way you're going to look amazing and look back on this day and smile :)!
  • edited August 2015

Thanks @Missa011!!!

I have been pretty good about eating better the last few days. I had a set back yesterday bc my niece was born and I had to go to hospital to meet her and stopped at McDonald's on the way so I wouldn't be starving and grouchy all night. But back on track today!

• Ditto PP's.  Losing weight is at least 80% of what you eat.  Exercise doesn't actually lead to weight loss.  It can help with inches/toning up and it is great for your health, but studies show that people who exercise over long periods just gain slightly less than those who don't.  

Anyway, 15lbs in 2 months is at the high end of safe weight loss (1-2lbs/week).  I have always been within a healthy weight range but we did a nutrition Groupon thing and I lost about 20lbs (still within normal limits, just at the lower end now).  It took 3 months and I was damn good about my eating.  I think I only cheated once when we went to a wedding.   I worry that the stress of 'having' to lose 15lbs won't be good for you.  Eat healthy and tone up if you can, but once you hit final alterations you want to maintain where you are, otherwise your dress will fall off coming up the aisle.  ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards