Wedding Invitations & Paper

Rehearsal Dinner

How far in advance should the RD invites go out?
Also, what's the proper way to send them. FI and I were thinking we might send them via facebook. Everyone we're inviting is on Facebook except 2 people and those we figured we would just call  to invite them.

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• I don't know how far in advance, but just a caution on FB invites... if you set it up as a "FB event" it's pretty much public... so even people who are not invited may be able to see it.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'd rather get an email than a facebook invite.  Can you set up some sort of evite?  Otherwise just an email to everyone giving them information is better than a FB event - in my opinion.
  • We didn't sent out formal invites. We just did word of mouth.  

If it's only the WP and immediate family you can just do word of mouth.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't know the etiquette on when to send the rehearsal dinner invites out. We're sending ours out at around the same time as invites.

Also I agree with PP I'd rather get an email than a FB invite. FB invites I feel are more for public events like hey 20 college buddies lets meet at this bar and end at this one... let me know if I'll see ya there. Plus people who aren't invited might be able to see it which just seems rude to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. If we do send the invite through FB I would definitely mark it as a private event. I wouldn't want all of FB seeing it, because yes, that would be rude. But I will also look into other online evites as well. 
  • pennydl said:
    Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. If we do send the invite through FB I would definitely mark it as a private event. I wouldn't want all of FB seeing it, because yes, that would be rude. But I will also look into other online evites as well. 
    I just don't take facebook events as seriously as pretty much anything else.  I'd rather get an email or text than a facebook invitation.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Facebook invitations to anything?  Eewww!  Ick!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • pennydl said:
    Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. If we do send the invite through FB I would definitely mark it as a private event. I wouldn't want all of FB seeing it, because yes, that would be rude. But I will also look into other online evites as well. 

Lots of times Facebook invitations get ignored.  People don't take them seriously, forget about them, delete them, take your pick.

You can send casual invitations, but do it with paper.  People take those more seriously.

• edited August 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    pennydl said:

Lots of times Facebook invitations get ignored.  People don't take them seriously, forget about them, delete them, take your pick.

You can send casual invitations, but do it with paper.  People take those more seriously.

I seriously don't even need paper.  An evite is fine.  An email even better.  "Hey, we're having our rehearsal at the church on Friday night at 6pm.  Dinner at Blank Restaurant afterwards (we're thinking half hour rehearsal so we'll get there at 6:45-7pm-ish).  You and SO are invited.  Let me know if you can make it."  But I won't read a facebook event page.  I so rarely look at facebook anymore.

ETA; And in an email you can include links to the restaurant and church with addresses and menus.  Even if you're only offering a limited menu, I'd like to be able to read reviews ahead of time to see if I should order the pulled pork sandwich or the burger.
  • I think this may be a situation of knowing the people coming. I sent my invited out two weeks prior. I did it via regular mail. I know my bridal party, for them to have something that they can stick on their fridge as  reminder (and so that their SO could see the details) was a better fit for our group. Not all of our bridal party has smart phones, so for them to have something they could grab & take into their car & enter into their GPS, was helpful for them also.

• We sent ours with the wedding invitations. Since we are having a DW we wanted to give people ample heads up that there would be a wedding function the day before. The BP of course all knew there would be and had planned to come a day early, but some of the family members we are inviting may have been planning to travel the morning of, so we just wanted them to have the option to plan accordingly if they wanted to attend the RD.
  • I just want to say with fb events - my H is on fb....but he never ever actually logs in. He gets invited to crap all the time I usually I hear about it because someone's wife calls me or texts me to see if he's coming to such and such party. I'd just avoid it. E-vites are just as easy and convenient!

I ended up sending paper invitations but you could probably plan for the same time frame. My wedding invitations went out at 6 weeks and I sent my rehearsal dinner invites at about 4 weeks out since we were having a big party at inviting all of the OOT family vs just parents and wedding party.

• We did use a FB invite (private) because the RD was almost entirely our college friends and that is their primary method of communication or organizing any kind of events. For reasons I don't totally understand quite a few of them don't really use their personal e-mails, and since probably half of them are in graduate school and were in-transit between addresses, something mailed wasn't going to work. The only family members involved were our parents and a couple of cousins who also use FB for everything.  

We did call each of them in advance, though. We had everything booked already when we were asking people so when we called to ask them to be a reader, serve on the altar, etc. we mentioned the RD information and that we'd send them the details again online. It wasn't super formal, but then our RD wasn't either, and it was the best way to get information to the group we were dealing with. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards