Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Totally vegan wedding menu... Thoughts?

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while trying to figure our the best etiquette to have a completely vegan reception for our guests at our wedding next May. My fiance and I have been vegan for many years now and paying for food that isn't vegan would be completely against our morals, and when every event and restaurant we go to ends up being a struggle to find something to eat we do not want our wedding to feel that way at all. That being said we want to make sure our guests really enjoy the food and that there is a variety that has something for everyone. We didn't want to go crazy with the "mock meat/cheese" products because those seem somewhat deceptive and are not always received well by meat lovers. Here is what we have so far that has been proposed by our caterer:
  • Mixed Green Salad with Seasonal Berries, Toasted Walnuts & Lavender Vinaigrette
  • Vegan “Chicken” Pot Pie with Seasonal Vegetables
  • Stuffed Squash with Blackened Tempeh (Smiling Hara) & Braised Baby Chard topped with Fried Leeks
  • Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
  • Smoked Broth Braised Collards
  • Three Bean Salad with Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
  • Roasted Broccoli with Lemon, Garlic & Sunflower Seeds
  • Cornbread with Sorghum “Butter”
We also have several options we can substitute in if we don't like one of the menu items or think something else would go over better with guests.

Substitutions:
  • Lentil & Mushroom Sheppard’s Pie
  • Ratatouille
  • Late Spring Vegetable Pasta with Fresh Herbs
  • Wild Rice & Quinoa Salad with Sugar Blanched Pecans and Sour Cherries
  • Wilted Sesame Kale Salad with Braised Radishes
  • Green Beans w/ House Smoked Sea Salt Almonds
  • Maple Roasted Buttercup Squash
  • New Potatoes w/ Lemon, Chives and Olive Oil
  • Spicy Mustard Greens w/ Cumin
  • Saffron Roasted Cauliflower
  • Herbed Squash Casserole
We aren't having a true cocktail "hour" as we are doing a first look/family pictures before the ceremony, so will only have about 30-45 of down time as guests walk up the hill from our ceremony space to the reception space, where dinner will be served almost immediately. That being said we decided to go light on the Hors d’oeuvres. Do you think we should have more than this? (Short ceremony at 4:00 pm and dinner at 5:15 pm)
  • Crudités - Fresh Vegetables with a choice of “Really Good” Vegan Ranch Dip, Smoked Tomato Hummus or Green Tomato & Charred Corn Basil Salsa with Pickled Okra, GF Wafers & Sourdough Crostini

• Bar Snacks:  Cumin Fried Chickpeas
One final question, should we announce that it is a vegan only reception before the wedding? It's going to be buffet style so people can pick and choose whatever they want, and there is going to be no "food choice" option on the invites. I'm not trying to trick people into eating vegan food, but I also don't want it to go to waste because some people are just so turned off by the word vegan that they refuse to even give the food a chance. 

Re: Totally vegan wedding menu... Thoughts?

• My FI is vegan. We are having a half vegan menu and the cake that we cut will be vegan. Only a couple of our friends are vegetarian so having a full vegan menu doesn't work for us. 

You have to remember that your reception is for your guests. You may need to compromise and work with not having a full vegan menu. 

That being said, your menu looks good. Keep in mind though that some people may have nut allergies and other allergies. Even if you don't include a menu with your invitations, you should include something on your RSVP card for allergies.
  • Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while trying to figure our the best etiquette to have a completely vegan reception for our guests at our wedding next May. My fiance and I have been vegan for many years now and paying for food that isn't vegan would be completely against our morals, and when every event and restaurant we go to ends up being a struggle to find something to eat we do not want our wedding to feel that way at all. That being said we want to make sure our guests really enjoy the food and that there is a variety that has something for everyone. We didn't want to go crazy with the "mock meat/cheese" products because those seem somewhat deceptive and are not always received well by meat lovers. Here is what we have so far that has been proposed by our caterer:
    • Mixed Green Salad with Seasonal Berries, Toasted Walnuts & Lavender Vinaigrette
    • Stuffed Squash with Blackened Tempeh (Smiling Hara) & Braised Baby Chard topped with Fried Leeks
    We also have several options we can substitute in if we don't like one of the menu items or think something else would go over better with guests.

Substitutions:
    • Ratatouille
    We aren't having a true cocktail "hour" as we are doing a first look/family pictures before the ceremony, so will only have about 30-45 of down time as guests walk up the hill from our ceremony space to the reception space, where dinner will be served almost immediately. That being said we decided to go light on the Hors d’oeuvres. Do you think we should have more than this? (Short ceremony at 4:00 pm and dinner at 5:15 pm)
    • Crudités - Fresh Vegetables with a choice of “Really Good” Vegan Ranch Dip, Smoked Tomato Hummus or Green Tomato & Charred Corn Basil Salsa with Pickled Okra, GF Wafers & Sourdough Crostini

One final question, should we announce that it is a vegan only reception before the wedding? It's going to be buffet style so people can pick and choose whatever they want, and there is going to be no "food choice" option on the invites. I'm not trying to trick people into eating vegan food, but I also don't want it to go to waste because some people are just so turned off by the word vegan that they refuse to even give the food a chance. 
    Hmmm. i think the snacks during the cocktail hour are fine. With the rest of the menu, if you're insistent on going vegan for the whole thing, I would try to make the choices as "normal" and mainstream as possible. I like the mashed potatoes, collard greens and broccoli. I'm having an issue with the entrees though. Depending on your circle, you might have a lot of people who don't want anything to do with fake meat (my crowd wouldn't touch it) and I don't have any idea WTF "Blackened Tempeh (Smiling Hara)" is so I wouldn't touch it. I think the squash casserole or mushroom & lentil sheppard's pie might go over a little better.

I'm interested to see what others say...
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while trying to figure our the best etiquette to have a completely vegan reception for our guests at our wedding next May. My fiance and I have been vegan for many years now and paying for food that isn't vegan would be completely against our morals, and when every event and restaurant we go to ends up being a struggle to find something to eat we do not want our wedding to feel that way at all. That being said we want to make sure our guests really enjoy the food and that there is a variety that has something for everyone. We didn't want to go crazy with the "mock meat/cheese" products because those seem somewhat deceptive and are not always received well by meat lovers. Here is what we have so far that has been proposed by our caterer:

Substitutions:
    • Ratatouille

Hmmm. i think the snacks during the cocktail hour are fine. With the rest of the menu, if you're insistent on going vegan for the whole thing, I would try to make the choices as "normal" and mainstream as possible. I like the mashed potatoes, collard greens and broccoli. I'm having an issue with the entrees though. Depending on your circle, you might have a lot of people who don't want anything to do with fake meat (my crowd wouldn't touch it) and I don't have any idea WTF "Blackened Tempeh (Smiling Hara)" is so I wouldn't touch it. I think the squash casserole or mushroom & lentil sheppard's pie might go over a little better.

I'm interested to see what others say...
    I agree w/ this.  I am not vegan/vegetarian.  I think some of the items involving fake meat on your menu sound... umm... not appetizing, but I think all of your sides and everything on your substitutions menu sound great.  I would go for the mushroom and lentil shepard's pie instead of the fake chicken pot pie.

So, I think it's also a "know your crowd" thing too.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I missed the pasta with veggies. I think that should definitely be an option. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm with everyone else.  I am totally fine with an all vegan menu, but I will not eat tofu, and I will not eat fake meat.  Chicken pot pie is one of my all-time favourite things in the whole entire world - but if it's fake chicken, I would spit it out and then cry.  Mushrooms are not my favourite thing, but I would (gladly) eat the lentil & mushroom shepherd's pie before I eat the 'chicken' pot pie.

Your sides look amazing. 

I don't think you necessarily need to let people know beforehand that it's going to be all vegan... we didn't tell everyone that our buffet was going to be ham & turkey.  But you need to be close enough to a traditional diet so that your guests aren't turned off.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I definitely agree with PPs to be mindful of allergies.

I'm an omnivore, and when I eat meat I prefer that it is actually meat and not "meat" or tofu.

That being said, the pasta, roasted cauliflower, squash casserole, and new potatoes sound mouth-wateringly amazing.

• Just curious, would you be completely opposed to offering just one meal that isn't vegan? Maybe the chicken pot pie? Some of your meals sound good, but I would never want fake chicken pot pie or a squash casserole. I'd stick to pasta, potatoes, and broccoli.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

To answer your question - YES - please let your guests know ahead of time it'll be a vegan meal!!!  Not out of etiquette, but courtesy because of food issues/sensitivities (it's a lot easier to work with your caterer on these when you know about them ahead of time - plus, quite honestly, the menu is so heavily carb focused, I'd appreciate knowing to plan stopping to get something to eat before the meal if I was at an event with this menu "it's not you, it's me!"). 

My concern also comes in the form of what many PP have already mentioned.  Food allergies and sensitivities.  Also, fake meat, isn't meat, don't try to claim it is, tofu is just nasty, choose an over the top vegan dish, not "it's just like chicken"..  A vegetarian meal is an easier "sell" than full-on vegan, but it's your day, your choice.  You may end up paying for a lot of food that's going to go straight into the compost bin depending on the demographic of your average guests.  I'm not going to say "Serve ham at a Jewish wedding" for example, but strike a balance with who your guests are, not the vegans you wish they'd be. 

• edited August 2015
    MobKaz said:

I agree with the PP's regarding food choices.  I would really encourage strong pasta options, and go easy on the nuts.

I want to know just how big this hill is that guests will be required to climb, in heels no less!

Ha, the hill isn't very steep at all and it's just a short stroll. I did say on my wedding website that the ceremony would be on grass in a field, a short walk from the reception, so people can decide what footwear they will be most comfortable in. We are also having a golf cart and driver available for those who need assistance.

Okay so based on the suggestions we need to eliminate the fake chicken and tempeh. I was kind of thinking that would be the consensus since a lot of people don't know what tempeh is and mock chicken sounds scary (even though it actually is really good imo!).

If we switched out the fake chicken for mushrooms in the pot pie, making it just a veggie pot pie, maybe that would be better? I think shepherd's pies have mashed potatoes on top and since we are having those as a side I didn't want to double up on the potatoes. I think the pasta is a safe choice too that many more people will be apt to try than tempeh stuffed squash! (I only worry about buffet pastas getting soggy but hopefully it will be fine). 

EDIT: added reply to avoid double posting
  • I would definitely have the pasta.  As is, I'd eat a few sides, but probably not most.  As a guest, if I knew the menu in advance I'd probably eat more of the crudites!  But I'd manage.

I guess this is partly a know your crowd thing.  I know some of the older men in my family (like my father) are meat and potatoes type of people and most of this food they wouldn't touch.  Pleasing my guests was my #1 priority, so it would be important to me to have at least one crowd-pleasing dish.
  • I think this sounds pretty fantastic! I would def include the pasta option but I think you've got some great variety. You're serving a green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread. If people are so picky they can't cope with that, oh well! They can work on being grown ups. I do think you should figure out a way to inquire about allergies though. Maybe even on the RSVP card "a vegan buffet will be served. Please let us know if you have any allergies." Or similar.
  • Just curious, would you be completely opposed to offering just one meal that isn't vegan? Maybe the chicken pot pie? Some of your meals sound good, but I would never want fake chicken pot pie or a squash casserole. I'd stick to pasta, potatoes, and broccoli.
    Given that she said she and FI would be morally opposed to offering non-vegan food, I'd say yes. This is like asking an orthodox Jewish couple to offer pork at their wedding.

OP, I realize you enjoy meat substitutes and while it is possibly unfair for people to avoid them without having tried them (*raises hand*), I'm sure you're aware that that is the common reaction of carnivores like me. A wedding is not the place to spring tempeh/tofu/faux chicken/whatever on your friends and family who are not used to eating such things. Veggie pot pie would be a better choice than the "chicken" that's not really chicken.

• Viczaesar said:
    I think this sounds pretty fantastic! I would def include the pasta option but I think you've got some great variety. You're serving a green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread. If people are so picky they can't cope with that, oh well! They can work on being grown ups. I do think you should figure out a way to inquire about allergies though. Maybe even on the RSVP card "a vegan buffet will be served. Please let us know if you have any allergies." Or similar.
    Green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread don't make a full meal, and not liking those items does not make somebody not a 'grown up.'
    Ditto.  That's definitely not a meal in my book.   And while I like the 3 items above (though I can't eat walnuts on the salad), if I didn't - to say that means I'm not a grown up is ridiculous.
  • JoanE2012 said:

Viczaesar said:

I think this sounds pretty fantastic! I would def include the pasta option but I think you've got some great variety. You're serving a green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread. If people are so picky they can't cope with that, oh well! They can work on being grown ups. I do think you should figure out a way to inquire about allergies though. Maybe even on the RSVP card "a vegan buffet will be served. Please let us know if you have any allergies." Or similar.

Green salad, mashed potatoes, and corn bread don't make a full meal, and not liking those items does not make somebody not a 'grown up.'

Ditto.  That's definitely not a meal in my book.   And while I like the 3 items above (though I can't eat walnuts on the salad), if I didn't - to say that means I'm not a grown up is ridiculous.

Not being able to survive an evening on this menu, if you don't have actual food allergies, is absurd, childish, and not something the rest of us need to cater to.
  • The other thing I would suggest, OP, is not having the lavender vinaigrette - lavender is actually a common allergen.  Otherwise sounds good!

• Just going to give my thoughts.... You REALLY REALLY need to know your circle. I have actually never heard of this happening.. In my circle my reception would be ending way sooner then I had planned if I served this option.  I can give you a lot of debates on tofu and how unhealthy it is as well.   At this point the reception is a thank you to your guests.. not you imposing your morals on the rest of them.Had you not said anything about your morals I would not have written that but if as I guest I were to hear that I would eye roll. Because I choose not to be vegan I have bad morals? I know it's going to the extreme but people like to read into things. I think I would put somewhere it will be an all vegan menu so people aren't surprised.

• Just going to give my thoughts.... You REALLY REALLY need to know your circle. I have actually never heard of this happening.. In my circle my reception would be ending way sooner then I had planned if I served this option.  I can give you a lot of debates on tofu and how unhealthy it is as well.   At this point the reception is a thank you to your guests.. not you imposing your morals on the rest of them.Had you not said anything about your morals I would not have written that but if as I guest I were to hear that I would eye roll. Because I choose not to be vegan I have bad morals? I know it's going to the extreme but people like to read into things. I think I would put somewhere it will be an all vegan menu so people aren't surprised.

That's nice for you I guess! So I assume you're not okay with dry weddings because the couple has a religious objection to alcohol right?
  • Can you pair the ratatouille with a vegan pasta? My F.I. hates vegetables and I actually make a non vegan version of that to get him to eat more veggies. It is a hearty dish that should be easy for an omnivore to like.
  • OP, I want to come to your wedding and eat all the foods. Everything you listed sounds delicious.

I'm not vegan, but I was vegetarian for several years, and I can otherwise empathize; I'm planning our menu around my food allergy so that just once, I can eat everything at an event without worrying. I don't think you need to be so apologetic that you use no soy proteins, but I agree with PP that having one entree without is a good idea. I love Barf's suggestion of pairing the pasta and ratatouille, but any combination of the dishes you listed would be great. I think I'm going to try making a lentil shepherd's pie this week because yum.

I'd also like to call out the silliness of referring to tofu and tempeh as meat substitutes. Meat substitutes are things that are flavored and often formed and colored to look and taste like meat. Some of it's tasty. Some of it's not. Tofu and tempeh are soy products that have their own flavors, colors, and textures and are not pretending to be meat. If you don't like them, that's fine, but if you "don't like" them because they don't taste like meat, that's ridiculous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, I want to come to your wedding and eat all the foods. Everything you listed sounds delicious.

I'm not vegan, but I was vegetarian for several years, and I can otherwise empathize; I'm planning our menu around my food allergy so that just once, I can eat everything at an event without worrying. I don't think you need to be so apologetic that you use no soy proteins, but I agree with PP that having one entree without is a good idea. I love Barf's suggestion of pairing the pasta and ratatouille, but any combination of the dishes you listed would be great. I think I'm going to try making a lentil shepherd's pie this week because yum.

I'd also like to call out the silliness of referring to tofu and tempeh as meat substitutes. Meat substitutes are things that are flavored and often formed and colored to look and taste like meat. Some of it's tasty. Some of it's not. Tofu and tempeh are soy products that have their own flavors, colors, and textures and are not pretending to be meat. If you don't like them, that's fine, but if you "don't like" them because they don't taste like meat, that's ridiculous.
    As a former vegetarian, I technically agree in some circumstances, but in some cases people do manipulate them to mimic meat and dishes that are traditionally meat-based.  Like if you're going to freeze tofu, drain it to make the texture chewier, and coat it in breading and then a hot wing sauce and try to tell me it's just like hot wings - I'm gonna tell you I would rather have chicken wings and I'm gonna refer to it as a meat substitute.  Same deal if you're going to try to pass off tempeh bacon to me - I'm going to greatly prefer actual bacon.  I make a vegan "chicken" and dumplings using homemade seitan that omnivores couldn't even tell was vegan, but that seitan was definitely trying to play the part of chicken.  Now my co-op makes a tempeh based salad that's delicious and not trying to pretend it's something it's not.  And if you make me a coconut tofu curry, I'm gonna appreciate the tofu for what it actually is.

Some people are just going to reject tofu, tempeh, and seitan sight unseen because it's unfamiliar and they aren't willing to be open minded about it, but I think it doesn't help the stigma when there are cases when people try to make it mimic things it's not.  It's nice for the people who already are veg*n who can create old favorites they miss, it's just not the way to convince people who aren't veg*n and leaves the door wide open for them to call it "fake whatever".
  • While I have eaten (and love) plenty of vegan food, many people coming to my wedding have not, and I don't fault them for it. They may or may not (esp older people) be willing to try it. I just think that you are going to be upset at the amount of food thrown away at the end. To me that is no better than serving a big hunk of delicious cheese that people will actually enjoy. While I think a most of your menu sounds really tasty, much of it just won't be popular. Also in addition to nuts, you need to consider sensitivities to soy and gluten. There are a ton of people who do not have a gluten intolerance who still choose live a Paleo/Keto/LCHF lifestyle, and you would be leaving them few options, just as meaty meals do to you. A large chunk of this menu is a straight carb load. I personally do not eat much soy for health reasons, even though I do like tofu. I'm one of the least picky eaters you'll find (dog? sure, I'd try it, I hear it tastes like lamb only better. Strange animal parts? count me in) but I just don't like tempeh, and OH HELL NO to fake "meat". If you don't eat the real thing, that's your issue. Don't try to dupe me with some crappy substitute. Many people feel the same way about fake "cheese" or "butter". Keep in mind that this is a party for THEM, not you.

Do what works for you, but don't be even a little surprised if people bail early to go get a meal they like.
  • We're having an entirely vegetarian reception for the same reasons as the OP, we are both vegetarians for ethical reasons, and hosting a party with meat does not fit with our values. We're not planning on broadcasting it, but it should be pretty obvious to people once they receive the RSVP card with an all vegetarian menu choice, we're also doing a somewhat small wedding, so everyone on the guest list definitely knows us as vegetarians.

Don't do fake meat. Stick with dishes where meat and dairy won't be missed too much. Vegan korma, vegan chili (hmm, no cheese with chili does sound a bit sad, though), vegan pasta, vegetarian spring rolls. Make sure you're loading them up with legumes, since those are the true "meat substitutes." The quickest way to draw attention to your all vegan menu is to offer bacon substitutes!

What are you planning on doing for coffee? To me this will be your most challenging part, since there's no true substitute for cream.

Even when I was eating meat I was pretty adventurous, and would have at least tried anything you served. It's hard to please a big crowd with food, just be mindful of allergens and other sensitivities.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards