Favors

Gloves as a part of my favors? Opinions needed.

2»

Re: Gloves as a part of my favors? Opinions needed.

• I was fine with you until that last little tantrum you posted.  Not one person on here has likes your gloves idea.  Not one!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • And that's fine that no one liked my idea...hint word OPINION. I like it so I'm gonna go with it. :)
  • The thing is, people are saying this to you so you don't waste time and money. If we didnt give a shit about that we wouldn't tell you not to bother. Myself and the other posters here are trying to HELP you.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @hellohkb I understand that you all are trying to help me, once again, I felt it was mean to state that you'd throw someone's wedding favors away. I understand that you all are trying to save me money. I've decided to go with it anyway.
  • @hellohkb I understand that you all are trying to help me, once again, I felt it was mean to state that you'd throw someone's wedding favors away. I understand that you all are trying to save me money. I've decided to go with it anyway.
    What kind of fantasy world do you live in that it's rude to state that you would throw away a trinket someone gave you, when that is actually what you would do with said trinket? 

• edited August 2015
    @hellohkb I understand that you all are trying to help me, once again, I felt it was mean to state that you'd throw someone's wedding favors away. I understand that you all are trying to save me money. I've decided to go with it anyway.
    So if I attended your wedding and I didn't like the gloves (they didn't fit, I didn't like the material, etc.), I should just keep them forever and ever and never throw them away because they were a favor from your wedding? Really? Is it acceptable to maybe toss them after 10 years?

People here are being honest? 90% of the wedding favors I've received I've thrown away. I don't need shelves full of chachkies.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    FWIW - I've worked a shit ton of weddings in my life. I worked at a resorts that averaged over 100 a year.  That is 2 a week.  Worked there for 10 years.     I'm telling you from experience that those types of favors get left behind.   We often end up with boxes of them.

Heck I've seen a couple give out personalized (first name of the guests) COACH leather menu holders.   Quite a few of those were left.  Some guests were like "um, what I'm a suppose to do with this?" 

I'm not trying to be a bitch here, I'm telling you as a person who has to clean up after weddings events those things often get left.   Sorry if that is not what you want to hear. 

And sorry, when you ASK for opinions on here you will get them.  All of them.  If you are looking for 100% validation on your ideas we might not be the right place for you.  If you want honest answers we are the best around.     Even in this thread we tried to give alturnatives favors for you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh I just remembered! My MIL bought 40 votive candles and slapped this ugly label on them with our names and date. We have a box of 37 of them in the garage. One was in the bathroom for a few weeks until I threw it away. So two people took them. Two. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Also, why ask the question if you're just going to do what you want?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ten points OP comes back after her wedding and says 'neener neener, meanies, I did my glove thing even though you told me not to, and GUESS WHAT?!  EVERYONE TOOK THEM HOME!'

....because she stared them down and begged and pleaded for them to take her cheap magic mittens home and they took them because they were uncomfortable about it...

...and promptly threw them away when they got home...

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Is OP really GBCKing over people telling her the truth about throwing away gloves if they got them as a favor?

OP:

Though honestly, I might keep them and maybe use them, if they fit. I can never find gloves in the winter and I'm too lazy to buy more. But, *gasp* I'd throw them out once there was a hole in one of them. I'm a cruel cruel person like that.

• Okay, I've been biting my tongue for a moment, but I can no longer do that...you guys are some of the most rudest women I have ever encountered whether physically or virtually.

AddieCake said:
    I would definitely throw them away, just like I did the stupid bookmark with a picture of them that my heinous cousin gave out.

AddieCake said:
    Thanks ladies! I really appreciate most of you guys' opinions. :D

Most of our opinions? We all had the same opinion.
    But my admission that I'd throw away cheap gloves was too harsh for the delicate OP. 
    And you know what? I guess that does make me delicate. Who openly says that they'd throw someone's wedding favors away when they gave them to you out of the kindness of their hearts? If that isn't rude I don't know what is. You guys should learn a thing or two about being appreciative.

Rant over :)

If you think we are terrible people for admitting to throwing out wedding favors, what would you think of me when I have thrown out my gifts for being a BM?  I literally cannot wear the cheap jewelry I've been gifted, since I am allergic to nickel pretty severely.  I often can't even wear the items for the entire wedding and must remove or change out of them after pictures.  So based on your logic, OP, I should be holding onto items I can not use, just because it was given to me in relation to a wedding.  Ok, gotcha. . .

• The only gloves that are 'one size fits all' (hint--that's a big fat lie anyway) are the knit variety, which I simply don't wear. I don't like them. They get wet and soggy and nasty. I like leather gloves, preferably lined, but even unlined are warmer than knit gloves. And I have small hands. Gloves that fit me will not even go on H's hands and ones that fit him will drown mine.

It's a bad idea. We don't validate bad ideas around here.
  • hellohkb I thought of those long white gloves at first too! I was thinking where would one even get those for a favor and wondering if it was like an Opera theme or maybe Audrey Hepburn...

OP I'm sorry no one liked your idea. I have the smallest hands and can never find gloves to fit so while I might see your favor and think eh that's cute or original I wouldn't particularly like it. 

Also I don't think anyone was rude in saying they'd throw them our or that they have thrown out things in the past they are warning you so that you don't waste money or get your feelings hurt. I've seen posts about brides who are all upset at their weddings when they see the favors or programs they slaved over in the trash. If people are like me you find yourself with too much stuff all the time so I hate having to take something else home that I know I don't want/need. This is a forum where people are giving their honest opinions, they aren't going up to brides and telling them they hate their favors or that their programs look stupid (that would be rude), they are just simply trying not to clutter their houses with more stuff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2015
    jacques27 said:
    Pretty harsh, but I don't think anyone would throw them in the garbage. I think they're very useful. I still appreciate your opinion. :)
    You're probably right.  They'll throw them in a donation box at the first spot they find or give them to Goodwill.  But if they are those stretchy cheap gloves that are at every store, I would throw them away.  They're worthless - they don't keep out the cold, they aren't waterproof, then end at the wrists usually leaving a gap of exposed skin between the coat and glove - I wouldn't even donate those to the homeless because I have more respect for them to appreciate that they deserve to be warm and not have whatever cheapie item gets tossed at them.

And any gloves actually worth having don't stretch THAT much, because they are designed to have certain fit and are made of materials that don't have THAT much give because that's how warm, waterproof, effective gloves work.  Those gloves are not cheap and they are not one size fits all.  Why would someone even think of wasting their money on a subpar product because it's cute and fits with their theme and why would you waste even more money on a great product that may not work for everyone because sizes vary?  You might as well just burn the money you'd spend on gloves in a bonfire - it would be a more effective way of keeping people warm.

Stop with you rudeness logic.

ETA: We've now spent more time discussing cheap gloves than 100% of OP's guests will spend using them.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited August 2015

Ten points OP comes back after her wedding and says 'neener neener, meanies, I did my glove thing even though you told me not to, and GUESS WHAT?!  EVERYONE TOOK THEM HOME!'

....because she stared them down and begged and pleaded for them to take her cheap magic mittens home and they took them because they were uncomfortable about it...

...and promptly threw them away when they got home...

Late to this party but I was thinking the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards