Chit Chat

Son and daughter gift help

My 28 year old son and 26 year old daughter are walking me down the aisle. I want to give them something each special. I'm thinking of getting my daughter earrings or maybe something for her Pandora bracelet. For my son I have no clue. Any suggestions for either of them? It's not for them to wear at the wedding. It's just a thank you for them for being there.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Son and daughter gift help

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What are some of their interests?
  • Does he like to drink? Play any sports? What kind of hobbies?
  • A nice tie if he'd ever wear it, ditto watch or cuff links. Does he have a hobby? A really nice book about it (coffee table, leather bound etc). A bottle of scotch, bonus points if it's the same age as he is.
  • Thanks everyone! He likes scotch maybe I'll get him something along those lines
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This thread reminded me that my fiance is planning to get one of our readers (we have no wedding party) a koozie as his thank you gift.  A koozie! 

The guy already owns like 36 of them (I know because there was a funny Facebook post about 18 months ago when his then fiance moved in and he "compromised" with her and got rid of 4 koozies, bringing the grand total down from 40).

Fiance says he doesn't know what else to get him- he's known this guy for about 15 years! 
  • edited August 2015
    FeeleyToBe said:
    This thread reminded me that my fiance is planning to get one of our readers (we have no wedding party) a koozie as his thank you gift.  A koozie! 

The guy already owns like 36 of them (I know because there was a funny Facebook post about 18 months ago when his then fiance moved in and he "compromised" with her and got rid of 4 koozies, bringing the grand total down from 40).

Fiance says he doesn't know what else to get him- he's known this guy for about 15 years! 
    Apparently, fancy koozies as groomsman gifts is a "thing":
    http://www.groomsshop.com/products/koozie-with-pewter-medallion?gclid=CKmump3nlMcCFdMWHwodv9oObg

ETF boxes
  • This thread reminded me that my fiance is planning to get one of our readers (we have no wedding party) a koozie as his thank you gift.  A koozie! 

FI is getting his best man and our officiant (also a friend of his) a flask and shot glass set, maybe suggest that.  I found them on Etsy, the one we're doing is $42.  

Reminds me I should get a little something for our friend who is doing a reading.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • FeeleyToBe said:
    This thread reminded me that my fiance is planning to get one of our readers (we have no wedding party) a koozie as his thank you gift.  A koozie! 

Apparently, fancy koozies as groomsman gifts is a "thing":
    http://www.groomsshop.com/products/koozie-with-pewter-medallion?gclid=CKmump3nlMcCFdMWHwodv9oObg

ETF boxes
    FI has a fancy koozy like that.  It's so annoying cause you can't smoosh it in a drawer with the other soft koozies.
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited August 2015
    So, apparently this koozie is a "fancy" koozie, made by some "Thermos-like" company that guarantees to keep your drink cold for like 12 hours.  I still don't get it.  Does it take you 12 hours to drink a beer?!

@Julieann912 this friend drinks nothing but Busch Lite (ugh); it's like his taste in booze hasn't evolved since college. 

Fiance is getting a set of whisky stones for his other good college friend who helped plan his bachelor party.  ETA:  apparently this friend's taste in alcohol has evolved.

I suggested he skip the koozie and get him a gift card or something so that he could take his wife out to dinner or something.  To me at least, it seemed better than koozie #37; especially if, like @julieann912 said, you can't even jam it into a drawer...

We'll see what he decides to do.
  • So, apparently this koozie is a "fancy" koozie, made by some "Thermos-like" company that guarantees to keep your drink cold for like 12 hours.  I still don't get it.  Does it take you 12 hours to drink a beer?!

@Julieann912 this friend drinks nothing but Busch Lite (ugh); it's like his taste in booze hasn't evolved since college. 

Fiance is getting a set of whisky stones for his other good college friend who helped plan his bachelor party.  ETA:  apparently this friend's taste in alcohol has evolved.

I suggested he skip the koozie and get him a gift card or something so that he could take his wife out to dinner or something.  To me at least, it seemed better than koozie #37; especially if, like @julieann912 said, you can't even jam it into a drawer...

Is the fancy koozie made by Yeti?  Because they really do work really well.  FI is obsessed w/ Yetis.  We have 3 coolers, a soft sided cooler, a large bucket (like to put ice and drinks in, or a keg), 2 tumblers, and of course, the fancy koozie.  Thankfully, the more expensive coolers he uses with points he racks up while traveling with his Cabela's card.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Denise40 said:
    Thanks everyone! He likes scotch maybe I'll get him something along those lines
    H is a big whiskey drinker, so I got him a set of whiskey stones (good for scotch too). You can find tons of different ones on Amazon. They're non-porous little cube-shaped stones that you put in the freezer and then use them to chill your drink instead of ice, so that it doesn't get watered down. H loves them. 

If you wanted, you could do a whole "gift set" with a bottle of scotch, a nice set of rocks glasses, and the stones? 

As for your daughter, does she like spas? I got a spa gift card from SIL for a 1-hour massage and it was the best thing ever. Ever. 
  • Denise40 said:
    H is a big whiskey drinker, so I got him a set of whiskey stones (good for scotch too). You can find tons of different ones on Amazon. They're non-porous little cube-shaped stones that you put in the freezer and then use them to chill your drink instead of ice, so that it doesn't get watered down. H loves them. 

If you wanted, you could do a whole "gift set" with a bottle of scotch, a nice set of rocks glasses, and the stones? 

As for your daughter, does she like spas? I got a spa gift card from SIL for a 1-hour massage and it was the best thing ever. Ever. 

Those are awesome ideas! Thank you
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2015

So, apparently this koozie is a "fancy" koozie, made by some "Thermos-like" company that guarantees to keep your drink cold for like 12 hours.  I still don't get it.  Does it take you 12 hours to drink a beer?!

Is the fancy koozie made by Yeti?  Because they really do work really well.  FI is obsessed w/ Yetis.  We have 3 coolers, a soft sided cooler, a large bucket (like to put ice and drinks in, or a keg), 2 tumblers, and of course, the fancy koozie.  Thankfully, the more expensive coolers he uses with points he racks up while traveling with his Cabela's card.

***pretend there's a box here***

It might be- can't rember the name for sure but that's ringing a bell in the recesses of my mind.
  • Yeti is awesome for coolers. I'm not 100% on the tumblers as mine is nothing better than a Bubba in extreme heat. But they're generally really nice. As they should be for the price. But the coolers are lockable and bear proof apparently.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Yeti is awesome for coolers. I'm not 100% on the tumblers as mine is nothing better than a Bubba in extreme heat. But they're generally really nice. As they should be for the price. But the coolers are lockable and bear proof apparently.
    They're almost people proof.  FI got me a little blue one (it's called a Roadie apparently?) and it's got this metal bar handle that snaps over the sides, and I can barely get that fucker off so I can open my damn cooler.  

After we were discussing Yetis yesterday, FI sent me these two things... the first is a bottle opener to attach to the side of the softsided cooler (which is a rather great idea), and the little tumbler with optional lid.  Basically an insulated adult sippy cup, which I am totally goign to use.   http://yeticoolers.com/hopper-molle-bottle-opener/  and http://yeticoolers.com/rambler-lowball/ 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Yeah, I've got a 20 oz Rambler. I don't think it keeps ice in my drink more than my Bubba deal, but it looks nicer. Lowball isn't listed as coming with the lid - and oh hell no. I hate drinking from the metal edge.

I just know the cooler is bear proof. And US big kitty proof without the padlock on. Really, why do the men in my life want to taunt big critters with sharp teeth and claws.
  • Yeah, I've got a 20 oz Rambler. I don't think it keeps ice in my drink more than my Bubba deal, but it looks nicer. Lowball isn't listed as coming with the lid - and oh hell no. I hate drinking from the metal edge. I just know the cooler is bear proof. And US big kitty proof without the padlock on. Really, why do the men in my life want to taunt big critters with sharp teeth and claws.
    The lid for the lowball is going to be optional.  I wouldn't get it if you couldn't get a lid for it.  I'd also wonder if the rambler lids would fit on it too cause we have 2 of those.

Seriously though, they are hardcore coolers.  We put 3 blocks of ice, beer, and loose ice in our biggest one on a Tuesday and went out and camped in our camper with broken AC, in 100 degree temps during the day.  We kept the cooler in the "garage" area of our camper (it's a toy hauler), and came all the way home.  The following Wednesday I got around to emptying the cooler, and half of the blocks of ice were still solid... over a week later in summer.  They're no joke.
    Married 9.12.15
  • He did confirm it is a Yeti koozie. 
  • The Rambler lids are supposed to be the same. In pictures, the Lowball looks shorter than the 20 oz cup.

We've used the Yeti coolers for Burning Man. Which is why we got them in the first place. Because yup, it stays cold. I've frozen bottles and the dang things are still blocks of ice three days in. Versus an Igloo cooler where the bottles melt in a day. We keep one for food, the big one for water, a normal one also for water and drinks, and a small one for ice. Hey, it works. And my soft one for my day pack. My drinks get to slushy in that. But I'm just using bottles, not my Rambler.
  • Denise40 said:
    My 31 year old son enjoys a good scotch.  His past two choices for a good scotch have been Laphroaig and the Macallan 12 year.  

Laphroaig is one of the peatier (smokier) scotches around, and its enjoyment hinges on the drinker's predilections towards Islay single malts. The Macallan is roughly around the same price point, and is generally well regarded by scotch drinkers of any stripe.
  • MobKaz said:
    Denise40 said:
    My 31 year old son enjoys a good scotch.  His past two choices for a good scotch have been Laphroaig and the Macallan 12 year.  

Laphroaig is one of the peatier (smokier) scotches around, and its enjoyment hinges on the drinker's predilections towards Islay single malts. The Macallan is roughly around the same price point, and is generally well regarded by scotch drinkers of any stripe.

Thanks so much! Inwill look into those 2.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    Denise40 said:
    Ohhh I know! So my boyfriend loves scotch. He collects scotches and started a club at his company. Because he always wants to learn more and more, to start off, he bought this kit ->  http://www.whisky-academy.com/ 

You can learn about the different kinds of scotches from around scotland, how to identify what kind of Scotch he's drinking by the smells, etc. 

He also bought a blending kit where you can make scotch samples and if you like it, you send the sample and recipe to the company that provided the kit and they will make a whole actual bottle of that scotch. I believe that is a bit more expensive though. Hope this helps!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Denise40 said:
    Ohhh I know! So my boyfriend loves scotch. He collects scotches and started a club at his company. Because he always wants to learn more and more, to start off, he bought this kit ->  http://www.whisky-academy.com/ 

You can learn about the different kinds of scotches from around scotland, how to identify what kind of Scotch he's drinking by the smells, etc. 

He also bought a blending kit where you can make scotch samples and if you like it, you send the sample and recipe to the company that provided the kit and they will make a whole actual bottle of that scotch. I believe that is a bit more expensive though. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I'm going to go check it out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards