Moms and Maids

Morning of wedding attire

So who is all doing morning of wedding attire gifts? I would love to, I think it would make for some cute photos, but everything's so darn exspensive. I have 5 bridesmaids and once you buy 5 robes it's exspensive! What are you doing and price? I have seen a few silk robes on eBay for about $5 a robe and obviously they won't last forever but do you think they would be good for morning of wedding?

Re: Morning of wedding attire

• These are the robes.
  • Note: I'm also open to any ideas as well, it doesn't have to be robes.
  • We are getting ready at my MIL house, I was already planning on supplies brunch for the girls. And I was thinking doing long flannel shirts and some yoga pants? We are more rustic so the flannel works, but even then te cheapest I found them were $14 a shirt.
  • I'm doing robes for my girls as well, so I think they'll like them. It wouldn't be forcing them if they wear them while getting ready. The robes are cute and brunch sounds perfect! Go for it love!
  • These are the robes.
    There's not a shot in hell that I would ever assent to being photographed in a robe.  I also would not consider a robe for getting-ready pictures any sort of present and would side-eye anyone who tried to claim they were giving me a present by trying to dictate how I look while I'm getting ready.  I loathe this trend.

• I'm doing robes for my girls as well, so I think they'll like them. It wouldn't be forcing them if they wear them while getting ready. The robes are cute and brunch sounds perfect! Go for it love!
    Isn't telling them they need to wear them while getting ready forcing them? Or do you mean you'd be perfectly fine if they said "no thanks" and walked away? If that's the case why waste the money?
  • No, it would just be a coverup...that's all and I don't consider that forcing, but to each their own.
  • Why can't they just wear whatever the hell they want?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • 1. It's not the only "gift" I will be giving them, they are all getting an actual gift. This is just something comfuy and cute that they can wear.
    2. I think they would all love it, exspesially since they can wear it after the wedding. I would never be offended if I was a bridesmaid.
    And 3. This post was not to debate weather it's wrong or write to give tees to your bridesmaids, it was a post for advice where to find cheaper ones or other ideas. They don't have to be robes, they could be PJs. And yes I probably will frame a photo of it! Please leave with your negativity!
  • Yeah but that's not even what the post was about, so why coment? Seriously this "community" on the Knot is horrific! No matter what's posted, robes or anything, everyone attacks! Like do you have a stick shoved up so high you can't have an open mind or be nice? I bet your what they call bridezilla! All I was asking was does anyone know where to get cheap robes or have an other idea of attire. I could care less if you approve of robes or not! Your not my bridesmaid and all my bridesmaids are okay with it!
  • JaxInBlueJaxInBlue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    If your bridesmaids are really all okay with this, and the robe is not meant to be a gift to them, why not just let them bring one they already own?  One that they can feel comfortable in, that will not be more revealing than they are comfortable with in the presence of others or a photographer they don't know.

I honestly don't understand getting ready photos, and I'm okay admitting I'm self-conscious about being photographed in general, but please don't put people you care about in the position of trying to spend their time avoiding the photographer.  I tried to avoid the photographer at a family member's getting ready shoot, and I still wound up permanently memorialized in her album, in my robe, helping her out as she got ready.  I don't love the way I look in those photos - and I wish I'd been better able to articulate my discomfort in the moment the camera was snapping so that I could step away.

ETA: punctuation
    Anniversary

• Yeah but that's not even what the post was about, so why coment? Seriously this "community" on the Knot is horrific! No matter what's posted, robes or anything, everyone attacks! Like do you have a stick shoved up so high you can't have an open mind or be nice? I bet your what they call bridezilla! All I was asking was does anyone know where to get cheap robes or have an other idea of attire. I could care less if you approve of robes or not! Your not my bridesmaid and all my bridesmaids are okay with it!
    Offering opinions is not the same as attacking.  Your OP mentions "expensive" twice and "price" once.  Clearly, budget and money are an issue for you.  PP's are simply explaining that such an expense is completely unnecessary.  Is such an expense worth the few photos that will be taken, but never displayed?

What if a BM forgets to wear her robe, or prefers not to wear it?  Will you ban her from being in the photos?  These are legitimate questions in an attempt to show you just how unnecessary this expense is, and how silly this trend has become.
  • You know what makes getting ready pictures great?  You and your friends/family members all smiling and laughing and having a great time.  Not some ridiculous getting ready outfit.  I am a 30 year old adult.  I do not want someone telling me that I have to wear such and such to get ready in. I am more then capable of figuring out what to wear that is not only comfortable for me, but also clean and good enough for a picture or two.

And really, how many of these getting ready photos are you going to print out and hang on your wall.  I have a good guess, ZERO.  So why the need to make them "cute?"

But then again, I am in the group that does not understand the need or point of getting ready photos.  Why in the world would I need a picture of someone putting on my fake lashes or me in rollers?

• I don't even remember (or care) what I wore getting ready for my wedding. The fuck does it matter? I do not get this. Like a PP said, I find it hard to believe that someone is actually going to blow up, frame and hang a picture of her and her friends in robes on her living room wall. You'll already be taking 1,000 pictures of them wearing what you've asked them to. Why do you have to take more pictures wearing other crap you want them to? While you're at it, select their rehearsal dinner attire. Someone there might take a picture. Better all be matchy and cutesy!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Oh all the weddings I've been in, only one had a photographer there early enough to even photograph us "getting ready".  But we were not made to wear any matching outfits.  So I felt comfortable and didn't care the camera was there.

For my own wedding, the photographer requested that the BMs be dressed and ready when she arrived at 3PM.  And that was perfect!  My girls could wear whatever they wanted until it was time to get their dresses on.  I was the only one who had "getting ready" pics, but that was only my mom tying my corset closed.  I already had hair & makeup done.  The photographer didn't even enter the room with my mom and I until it was ok to enter.  I don't get why people want to be photographed getting ready.

• I don't understand why the hell this is a thing. I am a 34 year old woman. I don't want someone else dictating to me what I need to wear to get ready. That's so asinine. 

These getting ready pictures are not cute. I don't want or need a picture of me in a robe with a bunch of other women forced to wear robes. And in turn, I don't want or need a picture of my best friends in robes, or some other dictated outfit. 
  • We didn't have robes {I asked, everyone said no - I figured they would} Only thing requested was a button down shirt, and that was requested by my 2 bridesmaids who were doing hair an makeup as to not ruin everything.

I had "getting ready" photos, mainly for sentimental value. I view them as more personal shots because these girl rarely are in the same room together {diff life points, and i don't always see them}

I don't understand the point of the robes personally. I didn't even get anything that said "bride" because I can only wear it one day! {Hell, my dress I can wear more than once lol}

Short version, OP if your bridesmaids are okay then do it. Otherwise don't waste your money. Maybe get them a nice mug with their name on it? That way they can have coffee/tea/etc in it while getting ready :)
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    So I've been a bridesmaid in the matchy matchy get ready outfits numerous times.  I think it is a waste of money, and I am pretty blunt so the girls that I wore these for knew that in advance.  But still, the day of their weddings, I smiled and wore the stupid shirts. 

My suggestion would be to just let your bridesmaids wear whatever they are comfortable in.  If you really really want to do the matchy matchy I suggest a shirt of some sort (and one that won't mess up their hair).  A robe will just make people feel vulnerable while getting ready.  

-- edit woah guess I should have refreshed before hitting send
  • mrscomposermrscomposer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015

@ShesSoCold beat me to it - they're already going to be wearing something you picked all day.  Why on earth do they need to be wearing something you picked to get ready for it?

If someone "gifted" me a robe to wear for getting ready pictures, I would wear it.  Over my jeans and button up shirt.  Enjoy your pictures.

ETA - and then it'd hit the garbage before I got out of the hotel.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards