Wedding 911
Options

Authorized Retailers???

Okay, so I bought my dress a few months ago, not having a specific designer in mind. When they gave me the paperwork with the name of the designer, I tried to search for a website and couldn't find anything. I thought maybe it was a small or local designer since the store only had one dress from them. Now, I picked up my dress a few weeks ago, brought it home, and found that on the paperwork they misspelled the designer's name. Now, able to search for the website, I found that the bridal shop I bought my dress from is NOT an authorized retailer. Now, I am new to this so am not sure exactly what this means. What I find sketchy is that they misspelled the designer's name in the first place, and that there is no dress size on the dress itself. 

The missing dress size is worrisome for a couple of reasons. One, the fit is very awkward, too small for my chest, too big everywhere else. Two, when I did find the list of authorized retailers, one of the retailers said they were able to custom make the dress with my measurements (the shop I bought my dress from said this was not an option). 

Did I get played? Is it possible I have a counterfeit? If so, do I have any right to retaliation? I am so frustrated that I could have had my dress made with my measurements for only $17 more, and now I may have to pay a few hundred for alterations...

Re: Authorized Retailers???

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    You can have a dress custom made in a couple of ways:  You can pay $20,000+ for a designer original.  You can order from a Chinese knock off site, and you might get SOMETHING that you can wear - maybe.  You can hire a local seamstress to custom make you a gown.  You can make the gown yourself.

Bridal shops sell dresses in standard sizes.  Some people (my daughter is one.) can order extra length.  On receiving your dress, you take it to a seamstress for custom alterations.  This can cost hundreds of dollars.
    The shop that offered to make you a custom copy was the rip off.  Your dress was probably made for you in a factory in China, which is where almost all popularly priced gowns are made.  The designer has people who supervise the manufacturing to their standards.  Nobody in the States can make a copy  If they do, and the designer finds out, they will be sued.

Are you happy with the quality of your dress? If so, don't worry about it.  My guess is that the shop owner either has authorization, or has a friend in business who does, and who ordered the dress for her.
    Alterations are a part of the expense of buying your gown. It is very, very rare for a bride to find a dress that doesn't need them.

Out of curiosity, what is the designer's name?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Unless you've got a sponsorship - it really doesn't matter who the designer of a particular dress is at the end of the day.  You aren't walking down the aisle to an announcer saying "The bride is wearing a $$$ BlaBlaBridal Gown adorned with pink with purple polka dot beadwork"... 

That said, websites are notoriously never updated, so they could be an authorized seller quite easily.  Next, chances are, if you have your gown home, your options are limited.  IMO the bridal shop is sketchy on a lot of things, first, the aspect of my guess is they didn't have the designer's tag in the dress that you tried on when you tried it on, which should have been your first warning - I believe it's illegal to do based on textile laws, but no one is going to enforce it.  Next - did you end up with a Knock-off dress or the real thing - contact the gown's designer now that you know it to find out.  They do have a customer service number.

At the end of the day you've got to decide what level of attention you're willing to give this whole situation.  I wouldn't spend another penny there if they're less than an ethical salon, however, if the dress is clearly NOT the size you ordered, I'd press for them to get a replacement (which if you've taken your dress out of the shop will be nearly impossible to accomplish)...  Even if the tag is out of the dress, if the proportions aren't where they told you they'd be when you ordered, you may have some leverage.  Also, if you can find where the size tag might have been (if the dress hasn't been removed from the salon), you have a leg to stand on because you can argue that they're trying to give you a used product when you paid for a new one with all tags properly attached. 

IMO - find a great alterations person and if the shop doesn't cooperate with you on bringing some of this to a resolution, I'd simply tell people "avoid this bridal salon..."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards