Attire & Accessories Forum

Moissanite engagement ring and wedding band vs diamonds

My FI and I are looking at engagement ring sets and seriously considering moissanite instead of diamonds. I really like the look of them and the fact that I can get a bigger stone that's still within our budget. Does anyone have moissanite and what do you think of it? Thanks :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Moissanite engagement ring and wedding band vs diamonds

• Moissanite is clear and sparkly, so if you don't care that it's not a natural stone, then go for it. It's ultimately about what will make you ad your FI happy.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • He says whatever makes me happy, I like the look of a bigger stone and diamonds that are a carat are out of our price range. I have a large hand and a small delicate ring would not look as good as a larger one. I am leaning towards 3 stone settings and a plain band. There is just so many options and I like quite a few lol. 

• I say whatever makes you happy, go for it!

I personally would prefer a gemstone over moissanite, but thats a personal preference.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is 100% up to you and FI. There are differences in the two options. I have linked one write up below but just a quick google search will produce thousands of pages of the pros and cons between the two.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/news/moissanite-vs-diamond/

I would say, as with any big purchase, do your research, weigh your options and then purchase from a reputable dealer with a long history of good reviews. Additionally, once purchased ensure the ring is appropriatly insured, either through your home/renters policy or a separate jewelry specific policy.
  • Thank-you, I will do the research and we will decide what option is good for us. It's proving to be very hard to select one because they are all beautiful lol.

• I have found a couple that I really like and it can be set with a mossanite if we want it.

This one:

As well as this 3 stone ring:
    I really like the sapphires because blue is my favorite color. I also like ones without the sapphires but the blue just stands out to me.

• I have found a couple that I really like and it can be set with a mossanite if we want it.

This one:

As well as this 3 stone ring:
    I really like the sapphires because blue is my favorite color. I also like ones without the sapphires but the blue just stands out to me.
    The three stone one is almost the exact opposite of my E ring. I have a sapphire in the middle with diamonds on the sides. Even has that little whoopie overlapping thing on the sides. I love it!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I am really loving the sapphires as an accent. Our wedding colors are blue and purple and I also have a amethyst ring that my mom gave be because it's my birth stone. I think having sapphires i my wedding ring or engagement ring would be beautiful.

• IME moissanite generally has an unattractive greenish tint (especially in the larger stones). Apparently the newer (Forever Brilliant?) variety has less of that, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

I would also (and did, lol) choose another gemstone over moissanite if/since I can't afford a diamond. Sapphires are considerably less expensive even when choosing a large and high quality natural stone and downright cheap if you go for a lab-grown stone.

I guess my advice is to not choose moissanite if you want a diamond. Get something else and replace it with a diamond for an anniversary and put the original stone in a pendant or something. If you get a moissanite, pick it because that's actually what you want and not as a pretend diamond.
  • catlover30catlover30 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2015
    IME moissanite generally has an unattractive greenish tint (especially in the larger stones). Apparently the newer (Forever Brilliant?) variety has less of that, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

I would also (and did, lol) choose another gemstone over moissanite if/since I can't afford a diamond. Sapphires are considerably less expensive even when choosing a large and high quality natural stone and downright cheap if you go for a lab-grown stone.

I guess my advice is to not choose moissanite if you want a diamond. Get something else and replace it with a diamond for an anniversary and put the original stone in a pendant or something. If you get a moissanite, pick it because that's actually what you want and not as a pretend diamond.

Thanks for that, I really do like diamonds and that's what I originally wanted, then I stumbled upon the moissanite. I am looking at sapphires and the are very beautiful and I could get one with diamond accents. I guess we just have to decide on what we want and go from there. 

• That is totally your call. If budget is an issue and you would want something that is somewhat similar to diamonds then you can certainly go for moissanite. Though, my personal choice would be diamonds.
  • Diamonds have been popular as engagements rings for over a century.  Moissanite is something new.  I would personally prefer a smaller diamond of good quality over a larger manufactured stone.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We have been thinking about this for a while now and I really like the diamond option  with sapphire accents. I haven't found exactly what I want as with style  but we are going to go to a local jeweler and see what  is available  in our price  range  for a custom ring either engagement ring  with a plain band or both with diamonds and sapphires. I guess we just needed  to  look at all the options  before  deciding  what  we really want.

• I have a moissanite ring and love it.  It does have a hint of color (a green, not yellow) in some lighting, but in most lighting it's clear or even more sparkly than a diamond would be.  The only person who is going to spend enough time looking at it to truly tell the difference is going to be you. Pick one that pleases you.

Mine is this one: http://www.moissaniteco.com/moissanite-three-stone-rings-square-channel-3stone-ring-c-4_249.html  I've had it about 6 months, and no problems at all.

• Count me as another person with a moissanite ring and adoring it!  I love it of its own merits but I would also recommend it to someone who wants a more affordable diamond-like stone.

It is:
    • Highly durable like a diamond
    • Colourless like a diamond
    • More value (per volume) than a diamond
    • No possibility of it having caused bloodshed in its procurement
    If you are scared of it having a tint, I would suggest visiting a jeweller and looking at a diamond and moissanite side-by-side, under a light.  My (untrained) eyes couldn't tell a difference except that the moissanite reflected more light.  Actually, I have two smaller diamonds on either side of the moissanite, which I think would look strange if there were any perceivable tint.

Every person I have shown it to has assumed it is a diamond.  One woman at a party even declared, several times, very loudly that she "REALLY knows [her] diamonds" and she said she could tell that it was a REALLY good quality diamond.  We later told her in private that it wasn't a diamond.

Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you so much for all the lovely resposes. We will  look at everything  and see what we like, I will be sure to post when we do decide on a ring. I know we kinda  did things way backwards as in getting engaged then getting a ring but that is what we feel  is us. 

• Thank you so much for all the lovely resposes. We will  look at everything  and see what we like, I will be sure to post when we do decide on a ring. I know we kinda  did things way backwards as in getting engaged then getting a ring but that is what we feel  is us. 
    This is not backwards!  It is very sensible.  This way you will have input on the ring.  We see posts from brides who are disappointed with their ring which their FI chose by himself, and presented when he popped the question.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have a Forever Brilliant enhanced moissanite and love it. I have not seen any green/yellow coloring in any light.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards