Wedding Party
Options

Number of Bridesmaids. Is that really an issue?

2»

Re: Number of Bridesmaids. Is that really an issue?

• Options
    abcdevonn said:
    And FTR, $200 is not "a ton" of money, but guess what? I probably wouldn't spend $200 to be in someone's wedding, even though I can afford it. I'd have to really like you. And if you told me I was going to need $200 (as if that is the price of admission, or perhaps, friendship) I would have a hard time not slapping you.
    All of this.  There was a time in my life where $200 would have been a stretch, and would have kept me from being in someone's wedding.  And if I were told, rather than asked, I would feel like that particular dress was more important to the bride than I was.  Which would have been a really crappy feeling.

Now that it's no longer a financial strain, there are still probably tons of things I'd rather spend that money on.  If it was a dear friend/relative, then okay, otherwise it's going toward new living room furniture, or deep sea fishing when we go to the beach, or something other than a pricey dress I may not even like and will probably never wear again, for a "friend" whose behavior is pretty entitled.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    abcdevonn said:
    And FTR, $200 is not "a ton" of money, but guess what? I probably wouldn't spend $200 to be in someone's wedding, even though I can afford it. I'd have to really like you. And if you told me I was going to need $200 (as if that is the price of admission, or perhaps, friendship) I would have a hard time not slapping you.
    All of this.  There was a time in my life where $200 would have been a stretch, and would have kept me from being in someone's wedding.  And if I were told, rather than asked, I would feel like that particular dress was more important to the bride than I was.  Which would have been a really crappy feeling.

Now that it's no longer a financial strain, there are still probably tons of things I'd rather spend that money on.  If it was a dear friend/relative, then okay, otherwise it's going toward new living room furniture, or deep sea fishing when we go to the beach, or something other than a pricey dress I may not even like and will probably never wear again, for a "friend" whose behavior is pretty entitled.
    Lol, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I asked myself "would you spend $200 on a dress"? HELL NO, I want a new coffee table!
  • Options
    Well, kudos for knowing that you need to discuss budget with your wedding party members, but a big thumbs down to you screwing the pooch on what a budget conversation is.  You are supposed to ASK them what their budget is, not TELL them how much they need to budget for your wedding.  You also don't have any right to pick out specific shoes for them unless YOU are paying for them, though shoes are such an individual thing that it's better even in that case just to tell them color and let them pick out what they find comfortable and attractive within that guideline.  So overall I give you a D on working with your bridesmaids.

• Options

You're assuming I haven't contacted her. I've called her, texted and I've facebooked. At this point I've done everything I can from my part to figure out whats the matter. She's just went radio silent on me. Whatever is the matter cant be much while her facebook status indicates she's still going out partying and clubbing every weekend. So its not like she came down with cancer and I just don't know about it. We didn't have some big tiff where she stormed off. Literally I've heard nothing for about a month.

FYI when I asked everyone to be my bridesmaids I said you're going to need at least $200. So make sure you have it. This was individual conversations that I had with them. I got the feel of who would struggle and who wouldn't. She was definitely the last person I thought would flake on me. At the end of it everyone agreed. Staying budget conscience I came in way under that. Just to be safe. She's just a selfish friend.

I asked a legitimate question because people judge you on your friends or lack thereof. So why would a wedding be any different.

You seriously think that? I have cancer, when I was diagnosed I didn't stop going to clubs and parties until my treatment started and then after treatment I resumed. I wasn't going to give up my life for cancer. I did however have to drop out of some commitments because they just interfered with my treatment. Also I didn't tell people unless they asked.I had some friends who found out a couple months after and were pissed at me for not telling them but honestly it's an awkward conversation to tell someone you have cancer.

I'm not saying your friend has cancer but there may be something equally as hard that she doesn't feel like sharing right now. Different people react differently. Talk to your friend and if she doesn't respond tell her you're there for her when she's ready. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

You're assuming I haven't contacted her. I've called her, texted and I've facebooked. At this point I've done everything I can from my part to figure out whats the matter. She's just went radio silent on me. Whatever is the matter cant be much while her facebook status indicates she's still going out partying and clubbing every weekend. So its not like she came down with cancer and I just don't know about it. We didn't have some big tiff where she stormed off. Literally I've heard nothing for about a month.

FYI when I asked everyone to be my bridesmaids I said you're going to need at least $200. So make sure you have it. This was individual conversations that I had with them. I got the feel of who would struggle and who wouldn't. She was definitely the last person I thought would flake on me. At the end of it everyone agreed. Staying budget conscience I came in way under that. Just to be safe. She's just a selfish friend.

I asked a legitimate question because people judge you on your friends or lack thereof. So why would a wedding be any different.

You seriously think that? I have cancer, when I was diagnosed I didn't stop going to clubs and parties until my treatment started and then after treatment I resumed. I wasn't going to give up my life for cancer. I did however have to drop out of some commitments because they just interfered with my treatment. Also I didn't tell people unless they asked.I had some friends who found out a couple months after and were pissed at me for not telling them but honestly it's an awkward conversation to tell someone you have cancer.

I'm not saying your friend has cancer but there may be something equally as hard that she doesn't feel like sharing right now. Different people react differently. Talk to your friend and if she doesn't respond tell her you're there for her when she's ready. 
    Exactly this.  My family calls me "Heart of Stone" because I don't show emotion.  People never know what's happening with me.  I don't cry at funerals or weddings.  I don't ask to see your engagement ring or your baby bump.  I got REAMED by my mom and sister when I didn't tell them FH was in the hospital overnight.  I'm not a sharer.  I deal with things myself, with FH's help and knowledge and support, and pretty much keep everyone else at arm's length.  It's just the way I am.  Maybe your friend is the same.
  • Options
    aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2015
    I think she probably just got fed up with OP and decided to end the "friendship".

I mean if you are the kind of person who tells your friends they will need a set dollar amount to be eligible to be a bridesmaid then ...well I am sure you make other poor social choices. Maybe she is just done with it.

I just cannot see how OP does not see it as rude to bring up a certain amount that you expect someone to be able to spend. This is just crazy.
  • Options
    OP,

You did something wrong. But you can fix it.

Start with talking to the remaining bridesmaids, individually, with this:
    "I realize I was a demanding bridezilla when I told you how much you'd be spending at my wedding. A true friend would be considerate to you and your situation and ask you what you could afford instead of picking an arbitrary amount of someone else's money to spend. I know it may be awkward, but if you spent more than you could afford, please tell me; I want to reimburse you the difference. Also, here is a check for the shoes. I wanted specific accessories so it's up to me to pay for them. I hope you can forgive my temporary oversight."

Your fiance (I assume? If he's your husband then you're doing waaaay more things wrong here) is wise, and it is about the marriage.

As far as your friend goes, if she hasn't specifically told you she's out of the wedding, I would send her an email with the same conversation I posted above. And then I would try to find a way to get in contact with her. Check with mutual friends and see if she's ok. Go to her house perhaps. And make sure any time you try to get in touch, it's clear that you miss her; leave the wedding out of it completely.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

If dude is your husband, why are you even talking about a wedding?
    http://i.imgur.com/e631tcP.gif

*********************IDK HOW TO GET BOXES*******************8

I literally laughed out loud at this Scooby Doo pic. I love Scooby Doo and his face is just too perfect for this situation!

• Options
    I have to wonder if OP's reference to her SO isn't the biggest clue of all.  OP, are you already married and keeping it a secret?  Is there a chance this friend has discovered this secret?

If that is true, then everything makes more sense.  I would be crushed if my BFF deliberately lied to me.  I would be crazy mad if that lie and ensuing charade of a PPD had me spending time and money needlessly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards