Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Random gift

I just had my bridal shower and it was quite large. We are having a wedding with almost 400 invited, and the shower had 65 attendants. There were about 25 guests who were unable to attend (most were out of towners). Some rsvp'd that they would be sending gifts to my home and so on.

Well, when everything was said and done, I am left with one gift and I have no idea who it is from! It arrived at my house the day before the shower. Only a box within a box, a shipping receipt with just that it came from Macy's and was to be sent to me. I was not home when it was delivered, it was just left outside. Anyone who had told me they were shipping me a gift, I received all of theirs and this was not part of it. At the end of the shower I made an announcement that i had received a mystery gift if anyone knows or hears anything to let me know so I can thank them. Macy's also can't tell me who sent it. I don't want to contact the 15 women who did not attend or send a gift and ask, because yes, it'll probably sound super rude and will sound like I'm drilling home the fact they didn't give me a gift and might sound like I'm asking for one or seem like it was required to give me one (which it wasn't, I know). I've already written out all of my shower thank you's, but I saved the mystery one for last. What would you do? I'm sure the person doesn't want me to return the gift to the store, but I don't know how to find out who the heck it's from, and I definitely don't want to use it until I thank someone for giving it to me!

Re: Random gift

• Options
    Oh gosh this is a hard one.  This gift could be from anyone invited to your wedding, not just those invited to your shower.  As much as you don't want to, I would call up the 15 women who didn't attend your shower.  Just because they didn't tell you that they were going to send a gift doesn't mean that they didn't send it.  Just tell them that you have this great gift and are just trying to find out who sent it.  You never know, one of them may have some insight for you.  Also have your Mom and another close family member try to do some digging.

Just remember that you can only do so much to try and find out who sent the gift to you.  So do your best but don't overly stress about it because it sounds like unless you plan on calling up all 400 wedding guests, you may never find out who sent it.

• Options
    I just had my bridal shower and it was quite large. We are having a wedding with almost 400 invited, and the shower had 65 attendants. There were about 25 guests who were unable to attend (most were out of towners). Some rsvp'd that they would be sending gifts to my home and so on.

Well, when everything was said and done, I am left with one gift and I have no idea who it is from! It arrived at my house the day before the shower. Only a box within a box, a shipping receipt with just that it came from Macy's and was to be sent to me. I was not home when it was delivered, it was just left outside. Anyone who had told me they were shipping me a gift, I received all of theirs and this was not part of it. At the end of the shower I made an announcement that i had received a mystery gift if anyone knows or hears anything to let me know so I can thank them. Macy's also can't tell me who sent it. I don't want to contact the 15 women who did not attend or send a gift and ask, because yes, it'll probably sound super rude and will sound like I'm drilling home the fact they didn't give me a gift and might sound like I'm asking for one or seem like it was required to give me one (which it wasn't, I know). I've already written out all of my shower thank you's, but I saved the mystery one for last. What would you do? I'm sure the person doesn't want me to return the gift to the store, but I don't know how to find out who the heck it's from, and I definitely don't want to use it until I thank someone for giving it to me!
    Open it.  Have you opened it?  Maybe there's a note or packing slip inside.  Maybe the gift includes an 'inside joke' item that will tell you immediately who gave it to you.  Tell your mom, your FMIL, and your MOH and anyone else who knows several members of your invite list.  They can spread it around that you got a mystery gift of a lovely metal rooster and have no way of knowing who gifted it to you.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Open it.  Have you opened it?  Maybe there's a note or packing slip inside.  Maybe the gift includes an 'inside joke' item that will tell you immediately who gave it to you.  Tell your mom, your FMIL, and your MOH and anyone else who knows several members of your invite list.  They can spread it around that you got a mystery gift of a lovely metal rooster and have no way of knowing who gifted it to you.

I've opened it. It was the silverware we had registered for, and I love the gift. There was only the packing slip that indicated it was shipped from Macy's and delivered to me. On some of the other gifts that arrived at my house they had packing slips (also from macy's that included who the original sender was). I've spread the word so hopefully the mystery gift giver appears in the next week or so. I just don't want to get to the wedding and have someone be miffed that they didn't get a thank you for their shower gift when I had no idea they sent it to begin with.

• Options
    Can you contact Macy's and see if there is anything that they can look up for you? 
  • Options
    justsie said:
    Can you contact Macy's and see if there is anything that they can look up for you? 
    This.  Even if they claim they can't tell you who bought it, maybe they can tell you the zip code of the credit card that was used to buy it.  Or something!
  • Options
    I got one that had nothing noted IN the box, but there was a shipment sticker on the outside of the box that had the sender's name -- I suppose you may have tossed it already, but maybe not! 

• Options
    justsie said:
    They said they can't track it, which makes sense, I thought it was illegal for them to hold credit card information once a sale is processed. We still have the box, there unfortunately was nothing on it either (except it shipping from Cincinatti, but I don't think that has any bearing on who it came from). It's so bizarre because every other box we had either had a label or slip to indicate who it came from. I'll keep everyone posted on where this fun little adventure takes me haha, it at least is keeping me occupied for the week!
  • Options
    I might try Macy's one more time. You might also try going into a Macy's and going to their customer service or wedding registry counter. Maybe face-to-face you will be able to get more information.

If that does not work I would probably reach out to the ladies not at the shower. After that I have no idea, maybe just let your MIL and FMIL know you got a gift and to keep their ears to the ground on who might have sent it. Let them know what it is so they have more info.

I would also add that the pool of people it might be from is bigger than the shower or even wedding invite list. We have gotten gifts form people who are not invited, for example, FI financial advisory guy.
  • Options
    When you contacted Macy's, did you happen to ask if there was a card that was supposed to be included that wasn't, or something along those lines?  Sometimes things are accidentally not included.

I would have the BP, shower hosts, and VIPs spread the word that you received an anonymous gift...
  • Options
    This happened to me but I called the store and they gave me the name of the person who bought it.  I would try to kill them with kindness and one more time!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards