Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation etiquette for special needs guest

My FI has a good friend (Al) that has down syndrome and is an adult. He also has a younger brother (Timmy) that is a minor that my FI has never met before and probably won't be invited to the wedding. Am I correct in assuming that it would be fine to invite Al and Al's parents, who would have to come to help Al out for the day, but not Timmy? Would Al also still get his individual invitation even though his attendance is dependent on his parent(s) attendance?

Re: Invitation etiquette for special needs guest

• Al should get his own invitation.

This is me, but I'd only exclude Timmy if no other minors outside the wedding party are invited.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Al should get his own invitation. This is me, but I'd only exclude Timmy if no other minors outside the wedding party are invited.
    We aren't having any minors, including the wedding party. No ring bearer or flower girl and all of the WP are adults.
  • mrscomposermrscomposer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015

One of J's coworkers has Down's, and we just gave him a +1 on his invitation for a parent.  I think his dad came?

If Al's parents wouldn't be invited if Al didn't have Down's, I'd probably do it this way.  If, however, you want Al's parents there regardless, I'd invite the two of them, and then Al with his own invitation. 

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • justsie said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Al should get his own invitation. This is me, but I'd only exclude Timmy if no other minors outside the wedding party are invited.
    We aren't having any minors, including the wedding party. No ring bearer or flower girl and all of the WP are adults.
    In that case I think it's reasonable not to invite Timmy.
  • I would just invite Al with a +one.  Then he (or his parents) can decide who he wants to take.  I do not think you have to invite both parents and certain not the minor brother.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thank you for your responses! I think what I will end up doing is inviting Al along and his parents together (seperate invites), since FI wouldn't mind if Al chose to not come and his parents did. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards