Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food Truck Reception...Stuck on Cocktail Hour

We're having 2 food trucks (burgers and tacos) catering our reception. The bar package will be provided by the venue, a small lakeside estate. However, we are stuck trying to figure out what to do for the cocktail hour. We don't want to keep people hungry until dinner, but most catering companies won't serve just cocktail hour and we're looking for something more casual (fun and tasty) than typical (read:boring) catered hot d'oeuvres. 

We considered self catering since there is a kitchen available, but we are traveling 3 hours to the venue and I'm worried about the lack of time available and stress on our family that would be out. 

Any ideas?

Re: Food Truck Reception...Stuck on Cocktail Hour

• Can you skip cocktail hour and have your pictures beforehand? Is your ceremony booked already? If it's all in the same place I'd try to move up the reception or push back the ceremony.
  • Do a first look and photos. No need for a cocktail hour.
  • This may have been something you've already explored, but could your food trucks provide some cocktail hour options?  For example, could the taco truck provide a chips and dips (salsa, guac, etc.)?   I don't think you need to do a lot, either, and agree with PPs that if you can move pictures up to before your ceremony, you might not even need a cocktail hour.
    Anniversary

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

So, what do you mean by "boring"?  You mean, the food that caterers put on their menus because they do them well, are tried and true for making in mass quantities, and are well liked by large groups of people who happily eat them?  Cause yeah - who the hell wants food people like?!?

Stop thinking about being "unique" and start thinking about what people like to eat.  And as far as I know, caterers like making money and take catering gigs large and small, from 300 person wedding dinners to small continental breakfast meetings for offices to cocktail parties.  If you give them cold hard cash, they'll make you food. 

Otherwise, explore restaurants in the area and ask if they do catering.  Ask your food trucks if they can also do something for cocktail hour. Have a grocery deliver deli trays.

• sa397784 said:

We're having 2 food trucks (burgers and tacos) catering our reception. The bar package will be provided by the venue, a small lakeside estate. However, we are stuck trying to figure out what to do for the cocktail hour. We don't want to keep people hungry until dinner, but most catering companies won't serve just cocktail hour and we're looking for something more casual (fun and tasty) than typical (read:boring) catered hot d'oeuvres. 

We considered self catering since there is a kitchen available, but we are traveling 3 hours to the venue and I'm worried about the lack of time available and stress on our family that would be out. 

Any ideas?
    The criteria for any food arrangements should be that the food tastes good, is reasonably priced, meets your guests' dietary needs, and can be practically prepared and served to your guests in your reception setting. Whether it's "boring" or "fun" shouldn't be criteria at all, because those are subjective qualities that your guests aren't going to care about.
  • I do apologize if I offended anyone. In my stress to solve this problem I realize I came off as judgemental.  As a wedding photographer I've seen a lot of weddings have amazing heartfelt emotional ceremonies only to have an impersonal lull at the cocktail hour between shuffling people around...the bride and groom not being there...and an overall awkward atmosphere. It breaks the mood and our goal it to keep that happy feeling going all night. 

We are doing photos before so that we can mingle with our guest at the cocktail hour before dinner. From my experience on the back end and as many of the married knotties know the day FLIES by and it is easy to miss out on spending time with your guests. We are just trying to create an environment that brings everyone together and keeps those good feelings going all night. 

Because my fiancé is Jewish (culturally not religiously) we found a deli that can cater passed apps for cocktail hour. It's our (tiny) ode to his culture; potato pancakes, mini Rachel's, white and black cookies, matzo ball soup on a spoon, and a hummus display. 

Thank you to those that provided suggestions. Again I apologize to anyone I offended. Each couple and each wedding is different I did not intend on putting down anyone else choices. 
  • We had our food truck do a variety of appetizers for our cocktail hour. A few were miniaturized versions of some of their entrees--jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches and salmon cakes, and others were more traditional--caprese skewers and cheese stuffed pretzel bites. It wasn't a big deal at all.
  • See I've worked a ton of wedding myself and have never seen an awkward cocktail party.   Most of the guests do not even "care" the couple isn't there.  Nope, then hit up the bar, grab some grub and mingle with the other guests.     Actually I've seen cocktail hours last longer than expected because people are yapping so much it's like herding cats to get them to their dinner seats.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    See I've worked a ton of wedding myself and have never seen an awkward cocktail party.   Most of the guests do not even "care" the couple isn't there.  Nope, then hit up the bar, grab some grub and mingle with the other guests.     Actually I've seen cocktail hours last longer than expected because people are yapping so much it's like herding cats to get them to their dinner seats.
    I agree with this.  I have been to many weddings and never once felt awkward that the couple wasn't at cocktail hour.    All I cared about was getting a drink, eating some yummy apps and finding my seat.  I go to weddings with the full knowledge that I may get a handful of minutes with the couple to congratulate them and give them a hug.  I never expect to spend a lot of time with the couple because I know that they have a load of people to get to.

• I went to a wedding in June, and they had a belly dancer perform & a section where hookahs were placed. They planned for us to view the belly dancing & try hookah which I had never heard of I  loved it and got the company's contact info ! They had different flavors and the belly dancer was amazing! 
  • @ShesSoCold I think we have a vendor ^^
  • @ShesSoCold I think we have a vendor ^^
    Our KGs looked into it and they look okay. Thank you!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Another vote for order veggie trays & chesse/cracker trays at a local grocery store that you can pick up before you head to venue or even close to venue that you can pick up right before you get there. Then all someone has to do is put them out & take the lids off. Of course you need to put out some plates & napkins, and don't forget utensils for people to use to get things off the trays. But in all reality, that will keep people happy as they will have something in their stomachs but not fill them up so they still enjoy the food trucks.
  • I went to a wedding in June, and they had a belly dancer perform & a section where hookahs were placed. They planned for us to view the belly dancing & try hookah which I had never heard of I  loved it and got the company's contact info ! They had different flavors and the belly dancer was amazing! 
    I tend to find these kinds of wedding entertainment options awkward and even sad.  The last time I was at an event and bellydancers showed up, the guys seemed weird about watching and the women seemed to find it annoying and intrusive.  Not to mention everyone's faces said "please, put your clothes back on" since the girls were not fit looking in the slightest.  That is being nice.

Put the money into alcohol and food, not entertainment.  Good food and drinks wins every time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards