DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Save the Date - Paper Question

edited August 2015 in DIY Wedding Forum
I am creating a Save the Date postcard and need help deciding what paper to use for this. I was thinking a nice thick cardstock, but should the paper be glossy for the photo side? I don't want it to be too glossy.

If you've done this before, please give me some advice!

Re: DIY Save the Date - Paper Question

• I don't think it has to be glossy. I just got mine in from Wedding Paper Divas and I used the thick, matte paper. Looks great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't tell if you're printing yourself, but if you are, it might be easier to stick to matte. I didn't do STDs but I do a lot of scrapbooking, and glossy paper (even for photos) is always trickier for getting your print settings right and then not smudging the ink when it comes out. 
  • Yes, are you printing yourself?  I also found that even matte paper that was thick enough to be a standalone postcard, didn't do so well in my printer (can't imagine any sort of sheen would be any better).  I just went to FedEx Office and had them print it for me though and it only cost like $20.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Thanks, all! Looks like Matte it is. I had planned to print myself, but I don't want it to look like I printed myself. FedEx is a good idea, I think I may do that. Did you buy paper and bring it to them or did you just tell them what paper you wanted it printed on?

• When I've used them in the past, I've actually done everything online -- upload the file, choose the size and paper type you want, set a time and pick it up. But they should have the paper, unless you want something special (ex we printed our programs on shiny cardstock). Maybe other posters can speak to whether they'll print on your own paper? 
  • Thanks, all! Looks like Matte it is. I had planned to print myself, but I don't want it to look like I printed myself. FedEx is a good idea, I think I may do that. Did you buy paper and bring it to them or did you just tell them what paper you wanted it printed on?

I brought my own paper because I had already purchased it elsewhere, but they had lots of options there to pick from too, I don't know what the pricing was like for their paper.  I didn't put my order in online but I put the Word doc on a flash drive and they could get it that way at the store.  We had to make a few adjustments w/ margins once I got there to fit their printer.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Thanks so much, Julie!
  • I designed my save the dates myself as postcards with a photo and I had them printed at a local printer, they turned out really cheap! They used thicker paper, like card, with a bit of texture to it so it's more vintage-postcard. 
  • for others...Having other companies print it is loads easier...we printed everything at home. I would do it again but alter my materials and test everything first to make it go smoother. First find the maximum thickness your printer allows and don't go over that. If you get close or are printing on anything other than copy paper.. print on a sample first before a big order. 

We had a Brother b/w laser and then moved a nice HP inkjet after some bumps. The original paper I had for the invitation was too thick for the laser to "fuse" toner to it. So it would seem like it printed, but the toner would rub off after 30 minutes. Same for our postcard (was 120lb "dutch felt" texture, really should've known better). The solution for postcards was hairspray (it curled them quite a lot), and some clear tape as extra insurance over the address. For the invitation fix, we went to a craft store and were in luck to find a pre-cut cardstock pack in ivory for $6 (almost Identical shade and paper size to my original paper just thinnner). 

We got turned away for bringing our own paper to Office depot/max. They wouldn't let us provide our own paper (asked around for program printing) to not risk a jam on their machines or having to replace it if it goes bad. We then just bought an extra ink cartridge for a forgotten inkjet and went home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards