Chit Chat

Follow up to yesterday's checklist...

@Charmedpam 's list made me realize that I need to travel more of the US (I think I got 55), but this is the one I REALLY want to work on. 31/100, and there are some definite bucket list items on here.

How many have you seen, and what was your fav? What is your #1 "must see"?

M fav was probably the Grand Canal in Venice.

Next "must see" is either ruins of Athens or Pompeii.

http://www.listchallenges.com/100-places-to-visit

Re: Follow up to yesterday's checklist...

• I got 12. But that's kind of lying because I checked off the Paris stuff even though I havent seen them. But we are going there in 3 weeks (!!!!!!) for our honeymoon so totally counts.

To be honest, I pretty much want to see everything. I dont know if I can choose. I want to go everywhere!
  • I've been to 41/100.

I do not really have a favorite as I like them for very different reasons.  I'm always amazed at the engineering of  the Great Wall,  forbidden City, colosseum, Athens  and Pomelli.   But I also love the natural beauty of the volcanoes in Hawaii, Rocky Mountain National Park or even Niagara Falls.

I really want to go to Australia.   Unfortunately we have too many OOT trips to visit family we haven't been able to make any plans.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Only 11 :(  I've never travelled internationally.  It seemed when I had the time, I didn't have the money, and when I had the money, I didn't have the time.  I don't foresee much travel in our near futures either... FI travels for work so when he's home, he wants to stay home or travel locally.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I got 12. But that's kind of lying because I checked off the Paris stuff even though I havent seen them. But we are going there in 3 weeks (!!!!!!) for our honeymoon so totally counts.

To be honest, I pretty much want to see everything. I dont know if I can choose. I want to go everywhere!
    I have seen them but I was too young to really appreciate them fully, so I am happy to be revisiting in October :) I shall be watching for your recap!!!
  • I got sucked in to a list wormhole yesterday and did this one at one point. I think I ended up with 15? I've done some international travel, but not much so there are a ton of places on here I haven't been to. Thank goodness the Germany locations saved me a little, and then I kicked myself for not going to Montreal when I was within actual driving distance.

• @lyndausvi I had Pompeii on my HM plan, but due to time constraints with FI's job we had to cut the trip down a few days. How much time did you spend between the runs and Vesuvius? We decided to skip Italy this time and just do Belgium and France. I really wanted to go because I have a ridiculous fascination with ancient ruins (or "just love really old shit" as FI so eloquently puts it) so he swears that if he gets to go drink beer at Cantillon this year I get the Amalfi Coast next year. We'll stop in Rome so he can see it since he's never been, but honestly the city itself doesn't really do it for me.

As simple as it is, I really enjoyed seeing Stonehenge. The engineering of the Pyramids is astounding, but my Mother would have a fit if I told her I was going to Egypt right now. Of course she also said the food sucked. I have reason to believe I would disagree.
  • I got ... 2 lol. I went to Paris, and we did Vegas for our honeymoon.

My #1 travel destination isn't on the list - I want to go to Germany to see the Concentration Camps. H's Grandparents were both in camps, and I want to learn more. H has already been and he said just walking into the place left you with an immense feeling of dread. 
  • I got nine. Which is more than I thought since I haven't traveled much. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I got 22 which seems unimpressive but I have been to 27 countries so I feel like I have seen some really awesome shit that is not on this list. Where is Panama Canal, waterfalls of Iceland, Greek island cliffs, Caribbean, sand dunes of Morocco, any of Scandanavia...

• 5 but I've never been to Europe.
  • @lyndausvi I had Pompeii on my HM plan, but due to time constraints with FI's job we had to cut the trip down a few days. How much time did you spend between the runs and Vesuvius? We decided to skip Italy this time and just do Belgium and France. I really wanted to go because I have a ridiculous fascination with ancient ruins (or "just love really old shit" as FI so eloquently puts it) so he swears that if he gets to go drink beer at Cantillon this year I get the Amalfi Coast next year. We'll stop in Rome so he can see it since he's never been, but honestly the city itself doesn't really do it for me.

As simple as it is, I really enjoyed seeing Stonehenge. The engineering of the Pyramids is astounding, but my Mother would have a fit if I told her I was going to Egypt right now. Of course she also said the food sucked. I have reason to believe I would disagree.
    I was on a 12-day mediterranean cruise, so we only got one day at Pomelli.  Wish I had longer.    I love Belgium, specifically Brugge.   I love looking at old architecture.   Not as much with the art museums.   DH only likes food.  Seriously, all he cares about over there is the food.

I'm happy I had been to Paris twice before going with DH on our HM,. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I only got 16/100 on this one... The only places I have been out of the US are Canada, Mexico, and Spain. That said, Chichen Itza was my favorite of all the ones on this list that I have visited, and also the most recent. Since I was little I always wanted to see the Mayan ruins, which is partially why we went to Cancun on our honeymoon. It was SO amazing, and the Pyramid of Kulkulkan (the one most people think of when they think of Mayan ruins) is only a tiny part of Chichen Itza. Definitely worth the visit.

Second favorite on this list: The French Quarter. I love everything about New Orleans except the heat and humidity in summer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh that was depressing... I got 15, but am already planning so many trips to see these it's insane. By the end of 2017, I'll have gone to Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore (I don't remember any for there, though), Paris, Munich (Oktoberfest wasn't on there, but it should be), Italy, Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca, Napa, and Seattle. 
  • jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015

@tfmrserwin Did you swim in a cenote on the way to Chitzen Itza? That was like my favorite thing ever.

@futurecptkirk Are you doing the Machu hike or train ride? The hike was amazing.

• @jenna8984 we aren't sure yet. We're taking a family trip in 2017 (2016 is Asia and I actually JUST got the itinerary!!). It depends on if my uncle is going who can't walk very well and how much time we get there. I did some research and people seemed to say the hike was great, but it would be ok to skip in order to see Lima and Lake Titicaca as well. Do you agree? 
  • @jenna8984 Yes, we did! Our friends actually got us a private tour to Chichen Itza as a wedding gift (they went there in November and loved it), so we did Chichen Itza in the morning, went to lunch, and then went to a cenote about 10 minutes away after lunch. H took the GoPro and got some great footage. It was really nice getting to swim in COLD water for the first - and only - time on our trip!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @futurecptkirk Yea depends on the fitness level of your group. It's a pretty grueling 4 days, I did it after running a half marathon and I still felt super winded and exhausted because of the high altitude. It was worth it to me though, really neat to see it at 6am BEFORE they let in any of the people who took the train. Those gates open at like 9am so it's neat to be the only ones there for a while! I did not go to Lake Titicaca, but Cuzco was gorgeous. I absolutely hated Lima. I felt it was dirty and very dangerous. Men definitely followed my friend and I, and the hotel specifically told us not to go out after dark and to stay on main roads during the day. We met other Americans who had been burglarized at a stop sign.

• WOW. Ok thanks for that advice! Also I think the rest of us should be ok. I ran my first half this May and my family does a lot of walking/hiking. My mom and aunt do 4 miles on weekends. I'm used to feeling like shit from altitude because we take a family trip every year from 0 ft sea level to 8500. Feels great having no oxygen! I think as long as my uncle doesn't come we will do the hike! 
  • I did this one too.  I got 13.  I haven't been overseas and won't be for awhile!

• 39.  I've done this one before.  We're not travelling this summer or next, due to my university classes, but I told DH that my graduation gift is 5 weeks in Africa the summer after.  I want to climb Kilimanjaro and then do a huge safari.  

I've never been south of the Equator.  DH is from Chile.  I keep trying to get him to take me south, to visit his family and see stuff, but he's so-so on it.  It's also hard to go so far south when the only real time to travel is July/August, when it's winter down there

• That was pathetic. I got 1/100! Remember The Alamo!
  • 1/100, Niagara Falls.
  • 39 out of 100. I'm pretty sure I've been to more of the domestic places like death valley, Zion, glacier, mount rushmore, because when I was little we did a bunch of road trips out west...but didn't mark them because I don't really remember them.

Lots of these places are on my list for sure. A lot of my travel ambitions will be put on hold once the baby gets here though. We'll probably spend our vacations visiting family and going to Disney world. Lol
    *********************************************************************************

• You ladies are making me jealous!!!!  Every time I hear about a cool place I want to go!!!

WinstonsGirl my Cameraman/Wedding Photog just got back from climbing/shooting Kilimanjaro a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to see the rest of his pics. I'm a wuss so I would be the chick exploring the food scene in the area, be he had a fantastical time. FFIL has done a few Safari trips and his pics are incredible.

futurecptkirk I agree that Oktoberfest is missing. I went to Spargelfest with my Grandfather in Munich when I was a kid and it was spectacularly delish. 

southernbelle0915 I didn't count anything in Spain because I was too young to remember. It's a must do also. Anything Disney is awesome though. I was 17 the last time the fam went, and that is the downfall of not having kiddos. I have no great excuse to use a vacay on Epcot!!!

• You ladies are making me jealous!!!!  Every time I hear about a cool place I want to go!!!

WinstonsGirl my Cameraman/Wedding Photog just got back from climbing/shooting Kilimanjaro a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to see the rest of his pics. I'm a wuss so I would be the chick exploring the food scene in the area, be he had a fantastical time. FFIL has done a few Safari trips and his pics are incredible.

futurecptkirk I agree that Oktoberfest is missing. I went to Spargelfest with my Grandfather in Munich when I was a kid and it was spectacularly delish. 

southernbelle0915 I didn't count anything in Spain because I was too young to remember. It's a must do also. Anything Disney is awesome though. I was 17 the last time the fam went, and that is the downfall of not having kiddos. I have no great excuse to use a vacay on Epcot!!!

We looked at going a couple of years ago, but DH didn't know if he could get that much time off with where his projects where.  We did northern Europe instead and got a kick ass deal through IcelandAir.  I still really really want to do Africa (real Africa, not northern Egypt Africa)

• @thecheesewench I have no idea what that is, but it sounds fantastic if you call it delish. Food festivals are the best
  • Oh goodness, I got 6. 

• oh, wait, that Oktoberfest was for Germany only?

make that 12/100 then.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    45.  Age gives me the advantage, here.  When I was in elementary school, I read about all these wonderful places, and I never thought I would be able to visit so many.  When we were young, we worked hard and saved our money for the future.  We raised our two children with no family help, so I was tied to them for many years.
    On our 25th wedding anniversary, we finally took our first real away trip - a cruise to Alaska.  DH fell in love with cruising, and I appreciated how he could relax and not dtress while onboard a cruise ship.
    Now that we are both retired, we travel about once a year.  We go all over the world to exotic destinations.  I never thought I would ever get to do any of this.  Not only that, but we took our young adult kids to London, Paris, Ireland and Mexico. I feel so blessed.
    Favorite trip?  Probably Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia and Russia.  Close second - Spain and northern Italy.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards