Wedding Invitations & Paper

Friday wedding?

How does everyone feel about Friday weddings? I'm considering changing the date (again -- but still 2016) because everything for the date I've chosen seems to be booked...and while I really don't want to change the date because it sounds perfect (8/6/2016), if it means I can get what I want, I would be willing to change the date to something else, like maybe a Friday because I know Friday weddings are less popular because it's harder for people to get to them due to work etc. although I'm planning on having my wedding around 4pm...thoughts? Of course, there is the perk of Fridays being cheaper...

I know I've said I'm super set on my date, but I'll admit it, I'm extremely stubborn and I hate change...but with this since nothing but the church is set in stone (and that can be changed in an instant), I can be a little flexible.

Re: Friday wedding?

• Hey!!  Sorry, I forgot that your ceremony is taking place in a church!!  That sounds beautiful.

Second, I think that a Friday wedding might work in your favor!!  Some venues charge less on Friday's - so this may open up your possibilities.

I would just be sure that if you go this route, to give people a bigger heads up, because your guests will probably need to leave work early / take a vacation day / etc.

• Most places in my area charge $2 less per head for Fridays (and Sundays I think, but because it's a church wedding I'm not even thinking about Sunday).

The work thing is what worries me. Although, that could also work in my favor since I don't want a big wedding, so maybe if I have it on a Friday, less people will come lol.
  • Ha exactly!!  :)  This may be a blessing in disguise, because you may get the smaller wedding you truly want.

And that's great about $2 less per head on Friday's.  

I caution about doing Sunday weddings, unless you want to do a brunch wedding.  A lot of people will need to go back to work on Monday and probably can't party too late on Sunday night.  But Friday is no problem as they have the whole weekend to recover!!

• Yeah! A Friday wedding will possibly be more intimate if many of your guests can't attend, and less expensive than a Saturday wedding regardless. Plus since they're a less popular choice it may be easier to find venues/vendors. I think that's a good idea!

Hopefully your FMIL doesn't make a stink about it. She's the one who was super set on 8/6/2016 because of its significance on the Chinese calendar, right?
  • FMIL doesn't care as long as it's an auspicious day, and there are LOTS of auspicious days for weddings next August (every Saturday actually I think). But August 26th which is a Friday is also an auspicious day for a wedding. It was me super set on 8/6/2016 because out of all the available dates I thought it sounded the best, and I still do.
  • A 4 pm Friday wedding says to me "I don't care if it's convenient for you or if you come or not."  Why 4 pm?  How many of your guests are local, and how many would be from out of town?

• I wouldn't really worry about a date sounding good. What's most important is you find a date that fits best in your schedules, and is also available at the venue you want!!

I'd set up a couple of appointments at vendors you have your eye on, and go from there!! Also, just as a courtesy, if you, your FI, and your Mom are checking out the venues together, you may want to also invite your FMIL. This is a way to make her feel included too!!

I think 8/26/16 sounds lovely.

• I had my wedding on a Friday, this past May.  It was at 4PM.  I only invited parents, siblings, and grandparents (15 people tops).  

It worked really well for us, the ONLY thing I wish I would have done is started the ceremony at 6.  Everyone in my family has really flexible schedules (or is retired), but after I thought about it, I wish I would have moved it back.  No one said anything, but who would? 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• You will likely have a much higher decline rate on a Friday.  Also, since you mother is paying, you should check with her and whether that works for her VIPs before committing to another date.

An ex-coworker of mine is planning a 3pm Friday wedding (albeit with a gap and 40 minute drive to her reception).  Everyone I know who is invited to the wedding is either planning to decline altogether or only attend the reception because of the inconvenience.  By the time they and their spouses get off work, get freshened up, get kids to the babysitter and drive across the city, it's too much of a hassle.  I'm sure some of her VIPs plan to take a half or whole day off, but many of my coworkers cannot or will not due to limited time off.

So, there's nothing inherently rude about a Friday wedding, but you need to go into it knowing that you will likely get more declines, especially if you're picking a time like 4pm, rather than 6:30 or 7pm because it will be an inconvenience for some.
  • It would start sometime between 4 and 5:30pm with the ceremony being about 30 minutes long. I have a new tentative Saturday date, but will ask my VIPs about Friday if the Saturday doesn't work out.
  • How does a date "sound good"? A 4 p.m. Friday wedding is not something I could attend unless we were extremely close friends.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • 6:00PM Friday should be no problem, and the reception would start around 7:00PM.  Earlier than that will inconvenience some guests.
    You will never find a perfect time that will be convenient for all of your guests.  Just do the best you can, and let the chips fall.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    6:00PM Friday should be no problem, and the reception would start around 7:00PM.  Earlier than that will inconvenience some guests.
    You will never find a perfect time that will be convenient for all of your guests.  Just do the best you can, and let the chips fall.
    No problem to whom?  This is not something you can declare.  It would be quite a problem to many people who get off work at 5 pm, for example.  6 pm will still inconvenience some guests.

• AddieCake said:
    How does a date "sound good"? A 4 p.m. Friday wedding is not something I could attend unless we were extremely close friends.

A date sounds good the same way names sound good. Some sound really crappy, and some sound nice. IMO 8/6/2016 sounds awesome, but 8/20/2016, for example doesn't.

It's similar to how I'm going to make Malachi (my boy's name) fit with another name as a middle name try to sound nice and not choppy and weird.
  • AddieCake said:
    AddieCake said:
    How does a date "sound good"? A 4 p.m. Friday wedding is not something I could attend unless we were extremely close friends.

A date sounds good the same way names sound good. Some sound really crappy, and some sound nice. IMO 8/6/2016 sounds awesome, but 8/20/2016, for example doesn't.

It's similar to how I'm going to make Malachi (my boy's name) fit with another name as a middle name try to sound nice and not choppy and weird.

JFC. You prefer 8/6 over 8/20 because August sixth verbally SOUNDS better than August twentieth? This might possibly be the most bizarre reason I've heard of for choosing a wedding date. I do not see how a date does or doesn't sound good AT ALL in relation to how names do or don't sound good. You seem trollier every day.
    Yes.

And I'm about as far from an internet troll as you can get. But you're entitled to your opinion, so okay.
  • AddieCake said:

AddieCake said:

JFC. You prefer 8/6 over 8/20 because August sixth verbally SOUNDS better than August twentieth? This might possibly be the most bizarre reason I've heard of for choosing a wedding date. I do not see how a date does or doesn't sound good AT ALL in relation to how names do or don't sound good. You seem trollier every day.

Please do not disagree with anything she says @AddieCake . It gets her diaper in a bunch.

I agree with you on the troll thing BTW. No one is really this immature.
  • snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:
    6:00PM Friday should be no problem, and the reception would start around 7:00PM.  Earlier than that will inconvenience some guests.
    No problem to whom?  This is not something you can declare.  It would be quite a problem to many people who get off work at 5 pm, for example.  6 pm will still inconvenience some guests.
    Nothing will ever be convenient for ALL guests. So long as the OP isn't offended that she will likely get declines, which it sounds like she isn't, then let her plan the wedding that works for her and her VIPs.

OP, I know what you mean about dates sounding "good," but I wouldn't let that dictate your wedding date. I do think some dates sound more special than others to my ears and it's a very weird thing, but when I chose my date, I went by convenience and venue because it's just not worth the extra headache.
  • IMO, I think if you can't find venues that are available on the dates you want that then those cease being auspicious days. Can't you plan based on availability of venues that fit your budget?
  • AddieCake said:

Oh my god.  This has to be some of the dumbest shit I have ever heard.  

• AddieCake said:

I rolled my eyes so hard at this...and laughed so hard I about fell off the exercise ball I was sitting on at work.  LOL and this makes it sound like you're pregnant too...even though I'm sure you aren't.  August the 20th in the year 2016 has a kind of regal ring to it....((sarcasm))

• scribe95 said:
    Why do people pick the date before they have venues? So annoying!!!.

Because often the date is more important than the venue. Like me for example, I really don't care about the venue as long as it's big enough, has good food and has a dance floor.

But anyway, Friday is off the table, we have all new plans.
  • edited August 2015
    AddieCake said:

scribe95 said:

Why do people pick the date before they have venues? So annoying!!!.

Because often the date is more important than the venue. Like me for example, I really don't care about the venue as long as it's big enough, has good food and has a dance floor.

But anyway, Friday is off the table, we have all new plans.

You have all new plans? Color me shocked.

****TK please give me my boxes back****

Ditto.
  • Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:
    Nothing will ever be convenient for ALL guests. So long as the OP isn't offended that she will likely get declines, which it sounds like she isn't, then let her plan the wedding that works for her and her VIPs.

OP, I know what you mean about dates sounding "good," but I wouldn't let that dictate your wedding date. I do think some dates sound more special than others to my ears and it's a very weird thing, but when I chose my date, I went by convenience and venue because it's just not worth the extra headache.
    And yet that's not at all the same thing as "Should be no problem."

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:

And yet that's not at all the same thing as "Should be no problem."
    It should be no problem for some guests.
  • We had a Friday wedding this past May.  4:30 ceremony.  We had a few declines but most people were happy to have an excuse to take a long weekend and make the trip up so it worked well for us, not to mention the cost savings.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards