Attire & Accessories Forum

I found and bought My TRUE dress (and veil)!

Re: I found and bought My TRUE dress (and veil)!

• I wanted to go dress shopping without my mom before I went with her. So sue me. I wanted to know what I liked and what I was looking for because my mom is very opinionated, and she's paying for the dress (although I paid for the original one), but she also would never make me get a dress I hated. 

Yes, dress shopping is fun, but it's also exhausting, and I am DONE doing it. I ordered my dress, the consultant said it'll be here probably within about a month, and that's the dress I'm wearing down the aisle as both my mom and I (and my close friends) all think that it is MUCH better than the first! I am 100% in love with the new dress and literally could not imagine anything better. It has nothing I don't want, things I'm surprised I like, and what my fiance wants (he wants me in a ballgown). It fits me like it was made for me and makes me feel like a princess AND a bride. I'm not going into a bridal salon again until Christmas, and that'll be to pick out bridesmaids dresses!
  • I wanted to go dress shopping without my mom before I went with her. So sue me. I wanted to know what I liked and what I was looking for because my mom is very opinionated, and she's paying for the dress (although I paid for the original one), but she also would never make me get a dress I hated. 

Yes, dress shopping is fun, but it's also exhausting, and I am DONE doing it. I ordered my dress, the consultant said it'll be here probably within about a month, and that's the dress I'm wearing down the aisle as both my mom and I (and my close friends) all think that it is MUCH better than the first! I am 100% in love with the new dress and literally could not imagine anything better. It has nothing I don't want, things I'm surprised I like, and what my fiance wants (he wants me in a ballgown). It fits me like it was made for me and makes me feel like a princess AND a bride. I'm not going into a bridal salon again until Christmas, and that'll be to pick out bridesmaids dresses!
    Please don't pick out bridesmaid dresses at Christmas for an August wedding. Wait til like next spring.

Also, please ask your bridesmaids individually for their budgets before you pick.

Please don't pick out bridesmaid dresses at Christmas for an August wedding. Wait til like next spring.

Also, please ask your bridesmaids individually for their budgets before you pick.

Don't have a choice. I live in NY and 5 of my 6 bridesmaids live in California and the 6th lives in Washington (state). They are my sisters, and my mom is paying for their dresses, so she gets to pick the budget. The dress she and one of my sisters likes best is like $150 I believe, but I'm honestly not sure and don't really care because it's my mom's money, not mine and my mom was okay with it. 

Also, I'm probably not even going to end up picking the dresses, my sisters will. I am going to dictate just a few things: they all have to be the same length, material and color(s) if I choose to go with more than one color. They can even each have a different style for all I care as long as they fit the requirements.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Your wedding isn't yours at all. It's your mom's. I don't know what you should be stressed about. Mom is paying for every single thing and has her own plans and requirements. Just let her plan everything.
    I wanted to go dress shopping without my mom before I went with her. So sue me. I wanted to know what I liked and what I was looking for because my mom is very opinionated, and she's paying for the dress (although I paid for the original one), but she also would never make me get a dress I hated. 

Don't have a choice. I live in NY and 5 of my 6 bridesmaids live in California and the 6th lives in Washington (state). They are my sisters, and my mom is paying for their dresses, so she gets to pick the budget. The dress she and one of my sisters likes best is like $150 I believe, but I'm honestly not sure and don't really care because it's my mom's money, not mine and my mom was okay with it. 

Also, I'm probably not even going to end up picking the dresses, my sisters will. I am going to dictate just a few things: they all have to be the same length, material and color(s) if I choose to go with more than one color. They can even each have a different style for all I care as long as they fit the requirements.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I like the first dress better.  I planned my wedding in less than a year.  It's 12 days away.  I am 25 years old.  And I "just can't even" with all the dramatic threads and responses you've been posting.  Calm down...and if you really don't want advice, don't ask!
  • sheknows6sheknows6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    coming out of lurking to say- JFC!

Either you're 18 and totally spoiled, or you're early twenties and still totally spoiled. You don't seem grateful for anything you're being given because you just want to complain about everything while demanding validation for your ideas.....which have all generally been terrible ideas.

Oh and I'm turning 28 tomorrow- better bust out the walker!

You really need to learn that the world doesn't revolve around you. ONLY 12 months to plan a wedding? It can't be done!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't respect the man for that, but I'm sure there are other things about him to respect. I believe people are inherently good.

I'm grown. I've been adulting and in the real world for quite awhile now thank you.
    Lordy, you must be just out of teenagedom - ffs. Stop listening to whatever teeny bopper music tells you that sunshine and rainbows are coming your way and grow the fuck up!

You come on these boards and ask for advice then when you get it you get all defensive and call people meanies. You are stressed out because you can't plan the wedding you want because you want your mother to pay for it. Suck it up buttercup, and step into the real world for a minute.
  • HA! Teenager? OR spoiled? I'm far from either! My parents give me nothing. Honestly, I'm surprised they're even willing to pay for the wedding! I've been in the real world for plenty of time, and I've been through a hell of a lot.

As for which dress you guys like better -- that really doesn't matter, does it? I'm the one who's going to be wearing it! And to me, it looks absolutely nothing like a prom dress...if you had worn that to prom at my school, you would've been laughed out! At my school, when you go to prom you wear either super short and tight, or long and tight. Never poofy. Ever.
  • Really, though, why won't you say your age? All the rest of us are. In fact, my 28th birthday is about 2 weeks away.
  • AddieCake said:

I'm 42, guys. I'm the middle aged old married hag she just can't relate to. And I'm definitely ok with that.

I'm 35 (which I do not even consider to be middle aged...let alone OLD).

I'm guessing I've got 15 years on her, easily. If not, heaven help her FI.
  • PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2015
    I'm 33, and also do not consider myself middle aged.

I am greatly looking forward to retirement, but it is unfortunately years away...

• I WISH I could consider myself middle aged!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • 33 here.  apparently that's an old fart around here. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • You look totally beautiful! Both dresses are nice but it's great that you feel so good in the new one. Everyone should feel beautiful on their wedding day and if the second dress does that for you, that's great.

Best wishes with wedding planning!

• I'm 32. Is that middle aged.

Also, the first dress is much prettier. I don't like the 2nd one at all (also reminds me of HS prom from 2000)
  • I'm 24 but hopefully she can't relate to me either.

• pinkcow13 said:
    HA! Teenager? OR spoiled? I'm far from either! My parents give me nothing. Honestly, I'm surprised they're even willing to pay for the wedding! I've been in the real world for plenty of time, and I've been through a hell of a lot.

As for which dress you guys like better -- that really doesn't matter, does it? I'm the one who's going to be wearing it! And to me, it looks absolutely nothing like a prom dress...if you had worn that to prom at my school, you would've been laughed out! At my school, when you go to prom you wear either super short and tight, or long and tight. Never poofy. Ever.
    And this just helps me to realize your age even more.
    Word. I wore a baby blue poofy gown to my prom, WITH a tiara. I should probably donate my dress to a museum or something, since I'm so ancient.
    I wore a poufy dress to my Grad, but I'm ancient...38. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    HA! Teenager? OR spoiled? I'm far from either! My parents give me nothing. Honestly, I'm surprised they're even willing to pay for the wedding! I've been in the real world for plenty of time, and I've been through a hell of a lot.

Word. I wore a baby blue poofy gown to my prom, WITH a tiara. I should probably donate my dress to a museum or something, since I'm so ancient.
    No body better sneeze around here because we are all so old we could be blown into dust at any moment.

• pinkcow13 said:

My prom I wore a poofy red dress that was a beauty. I'm 24 so wow I'm old!
  • 32 here. Prom was all about poufy.
  • I have no idea what other people wore to prom. Does that make me super old or just an adult who no longer gives a rat's ass?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I wore a slinky purple number to prom, but I wore a (purposefully) OTT poofy dress on my 30th birthday this year. Where does that leave me?
  • I'm 22 here, and I wore a short poofy dress.  Tight was definitely not a style that was in "back in my day" and if anyone "laughed" at someone for their dress, that would not be okay in any way.
  • AddieCake said:
    So you planned to have someone copy and make a dress for you, and instead you purchased 2 different dresses? Meanwhile you don't have a reception venue, aren't sure exactly how many people you are inviting, and are freaking out about only having a year to plan. Maybe stop dress shopping and take care of the other things you need to take care of.
    Not gonna lie, that is totally how I started out. lol

I had my wedding dress within a month and hadn't planned a single other thing, but I also had 14 months to go at the time. Now I'm down to 6 months and have finished 80% of the planning.

I do find myself second guessing on the dress once in a while when I go and look at the pics from trying them on, but I know my second choice is long gone due to it's amazing price.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards