Wedding Etiquette Forum

I just can't

SO I think we need to start a post on here about all of the Epic FB fails.....  There was a question just posted on a FB group I'm..

"We ARE doing the dollar dance but we also want to auction off the garter, will this make us look greedy? How do we do it without looking to greedy"

Replies most saying how to stick to one......... ONE though said the following

"We did a money dash! The bride and groom run around to people holding up money whoever gets the most wins, It was a big hit since everyone knew we couldn't afford a good honeymoon"

ARE- YOU- KIDDING-ME

I WOULD BE so embarrassed running around looking for money. NO!  I've heard of dollar dances and auction the garter.. I don't like them but whatever.. BUT TO DO TWO! That's like 100x worse then having one... I have no words. But I had to share.  If anyone was wondering I replied and said as a guest I'd leave after the 2nd one started.

Re: I just can't

• Bad wedding etiquette has sunk to a new low.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if couples start renting these...

Then they can have a cutesy sign with a poem that tells guests to empty their pockets of all money and dump it into the machine.  Then the couple will take turns entering the machine to grab as much as they can.
    Is there a link to where I can get me one of these? Ingenious! Now, all I need is a cash bar, a stag and doe, and one of those honeyfund jars and I win the Tacky Olympics!
  • The FB groups are rampant with awful etiquette.  I got a lot of shit from the SS's there for telling someone that straight up asking for money, even in a cute poem, is not appropriate.    I basically told the girl, very nicely, that it wasn't appropriate and the best way to "ask" for cash is to not register anywhere, and if somebody asked, to tell them "we are saving up for XXX".  To be fair though, I had some supporters too, so it wasn't all SS's.

A money dash might be the worst thing I've ever heard of.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Running around snatching cash out of your guests hands? I would be fucking humiliated to take any part in that tacky nonsense. That's just so gross. 

I've never heard of auctioning the garter and now I'm sad I did. 
    Oh god I've more or less seen that ... garter auctioned, dollar dance, and the couple had the flower girls selling candy at the reception "for the honeymoon."

Yes they had a honeyfund, why do you ask?
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I was going to find the perfect facial expression gif for this...but @ShesSoCold won the internet today.

O
    M
    G

edit, because I can't type

• I wouldn't be surprised if couples start renting these...

Then they can have a cutesy sign with a poem that tells guests to empty their pockets of all money and dump it into the machine.  Then the couple will take turns entering the machine to grab as much as they can.
    Is there a link to where I can get me one of these? Ingenious! Now, all I need is a cash bar, a stag and doe, and one of those honeyfund jars and I win the Tacky Olympics!
    What is a honeyfund? I've never seen or heard of this before reading things on here.
  • @Knottie80779227 - A honeyfund is a type of registry where couples register for things such as dinners, excursions, massages, even money towards plane tickets for their honeymoon.  But what many do not realize, or care, is that when a guest "buys" them a romantic dinner for two on the beach, that item is not getting booked or reserved. Rather the money spent, minus a fee for the website, is then sent in a form of a check to the couple.  So in the end a honeyfund is a way to ask for money in a "cute" manner.  Aka very tacky and rude.

• @Knottie80779227 - A honeyfund is a type of registry where couples register for things such as dinners, excursions, massages, even money towards plane tickets for their honeymoon.  But what many do not realize, or care, is that when a guest "buys" them a romantic dinner for two on the beach, that item is not getting booked or reserved. Rather the money spent, minus a fee for the website, is then sent in a form of a check to the couple.  So in the end a honeyfund is a way to ask for money in a "cute" manner.  Aka very tacky and rude.
    My initial reaction "that's crazy." My second reaction "I'm probably lucky to have never heard/seen this."
    I know this is tangental, but I have to...

It can also be all kinds of creepy. I'm cool with knowing that my money went to a nice dinner (after you cash my check and tell me how you spent it in your thank you card, thank you very much), but some of the things couples "register" for are just way too much. I don't need to know about your Jacuzzi room upgrade, your secluded finger-food dinner for two, or the other details of your honeymoon, which couples tend to "register" for. It veers into TMI way too fast.

Yes. I can live my whole life without seeing the rose petal strewn bed the bride and groom want to spend their honeymoon boinking on.
    My initial reaction "that's crazy." My second reaction "I'm probably lucky to have never heard/seen this."

It can also be all kinds of creepy. I'm cool with knowing that my money went to a nice dinner (after you cash my check and tell me how you spent it in your thank you card, thank you very much), but some of the things couples "register" for are just way too much. I don't need to know about your Jacuzzi room upgrade, your secluded finger-food dinner for two, or the other details of your honeymoon, which couples tend to "register" for. It veers into TMI way too fast.

Yes. I can live my whole life without seeing the rose petal strewn bed the bride and groom want to spend their honeymoon boinking on.
    I don't want to picture myself in this scenario, let alone another couple. Thank you for vivid imagery I just experienced.

THIS

Especially when they open it at a shower and announce that Aunt Greta bought them a couples Thai Message..

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fyrchk said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if couples start renting these...

I would only put coins in it and cheer every time one hit them in the face. I am imagining thousands of little bruises like the ones you get from paintball.
    I think you would need to install a slot at the top and one of those little ramps to get that to happen... but I would totally love to see it! I bet you get more money if you let your guests pay to hit you in the face with it.
  • anjemon said:

fyrchk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if couples start renting these...

I would only put coins in it and cheer every time one hit them in the face. I am imagining thousands of little bruises like the ones you get from paintball.

I think you would need to install a slot at the top and one of those little ramps to get that to happen... but I would totally love to see it! I bet you get more money if you let your guests pay to hit you in the face with it.

-----------STUCK IN A BOX---------

It'd work up here in Canada where we have $1 and $2 coins. My dream of a tacky wedding may come true yet!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ugh... so much ugh!

I come from the land of Stag and Does, so I've seen some things, but at your wedding RECEPTION?

I have also unfortunately seen Honeyfunds, but at least those you can ignore.

Seeing the bride and groom run around for money? Besides being a bad etiquette breech and tacky, it seems down right demeaning to me.... like the B&G are not adult people, but some sort of animal in a cage at a handler throwing meat (ok, that was weird, but seriously that's how much the "money run" offends me).

And auctioning off the garter? Weird.

I also used to be part of a few FB wedding groups. Started out as buy/sell groups, but then people would post questions. I eventually removed myself from all of them after repeatedly getting told I was mean and "who pissed in my cornflakes?" when trying to offer sound etiquette advice. Most of the responses were, "It's YOUR day! Do what makes you happy!", or, "Everyone I know does it, so it's fine!". Fortunately, SOME people would agree or at least like my posts.
  • edited August 2015

A friend I used to work with did this with his wife on their PPD. There are photos in their wedding album on FB of them COUNTING MONEY from the "money gather". They had their FIRST wedding in May 2014 then their PPD in March 2015.

Edited because 2105 hasn't happened yet. 

• Jax43615 said:
    A friend I used to work with did this with his wife on their PPD. There are photos in their wedding album on FB of them COUNTING MONEY from the "money gather". They had their FIRST wedding in May 2014 then their PPD in March 2105.
    This is...wow. What kind of comments did they get? How much of the shade did they think was sincere?
  • @CElizabeth419 FI and I were not invited to the wedding, so I don't know how guests felt about it, but the pictures show him sitting on a chair with a bunch of $ in his hands with all of his groomsmen looking excited. It isn't a posed picture, just a candid shot. Unfortunately there weren't any pics of it actually happening lol

The comments explain that the groom and bride (and maybe the whole bridal party??) went around the room collecting $$ somehow and whoever (whomever?) got the most "won". I think the groom got $40ish.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards