Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Courthouse/magistrate/city hall to be married in?

Hello, I'm new to this board, and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. This will be my second marriage, so we just want something very simple, just the two of us. I pictured getting married downtown at the courthouse, but I don't even know if that's a possibility.

I have contacted three courthouses (Allegheny, Butler, Beaver) and the only one I have heard back from  is Butler. They stated that the decision to perform a wedding is left to the discretion of each of their judges, and many of the judges do not conduct wedding services at all and some choose to conduct ceremonies on a very limited basis for only people with whom they are personally acquainted. I'm assuming the other courthouses most likely have the same policy, so I don't know where that leaves me. We don't know any judges personally.

I really wanted to get married at a courthouse, because I love the historical look and the architecture. But I did read that local magistrates perform ceremonies, as well as mayors of cities. Does anyone know of any nice city halls or local district courts?

This probably sounds ridiculous, but I really just want to choose somewhere that will look nice in pictures, and I don't think you can really go in and tour a magistrate's office to see if you like the looks of it, haha. A cute city hall building would also work. Even though it will be just the two of us, but I still want nice pictures of the day. 

I know we can go somewhere else for pictures afterwards, but of course I want some of the (brief) ceremony as well. Thank you!

Re: Courthouse/magistrate/city hall to be married in?

• Options
    I don't know if you have already had your wedding, but Washington County's courthouse is beautiful, and their judges do not necessarily require you to know them.  I used to live next door to one of the retired judges, and she would conduct weddings regularly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards