Chit Chat

Do you have a favorite month?

2»

Re: Do you have a favorite month?

• July. Independence Day. Fireworks. State Fair. Corn season. Long days, hot weather. Swimming. Vitamin D. Anniversary. Grilling, cookouts, picnics, outdoor concerts. Fireflies, our veggie garden.
    ooh yeah, we've been making a lot of bruschetta with tomatoes and basil from our garden! Home-grown tomatoes taste WAAAAAY better than the ones from the grocery store. I love being able to just walk out our back door and pick whatever I feel like eating. 
  • l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    October for all the reasons you mentioned including ushering in my early November birthday ;)

The weather has started to cool in the last week or so and I wanted to put out my fall decor because to me it was starting to feel like fall.  I had to remind myself it's August still.  I'm also OBSESSED with pumpkin (I'll include butternut squash in that too).
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    novella1186 said: photokitty said: July. Independence Day. Fireworks. State Fair. Corn season. Long days, hot weather. Swimming. Vitamin D. Anniversary. Grilling, cookouts, picnics, outdoor concerts. Fireflies, our veggie garden. ooh yeah, we've been making a lot of bruschetta with tomatoes and basil from our garden! Home-grown tomatoes taste WAAAAAY better than the ones from the grocery store. I love being able to just walk out our back door and pick whatever I feel like eating. 

----boxboxbox---

We grow a LOT of tomatoes. We planted 6 varieties, and there are at least another 6 volunteer plants scattered about. We have gotten creative with how we use them. But you're SO right that nothing compares to a homegrown tomato. I won't even buy store-bought ones anymore because they just aren't the same, especially when they're out of season and flown in from South America.

H makes a damn good salsa with tomatoes, onions, multiple varieties of hot peppers, and cilantro all from the garden. It is SO good, especially after about a week when all the flavors fully blend.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, definitely October here too.  Love the fall and November is so wishy washy with the weather here (could be snow.  could be awesome).  But December is fun too...... There's just something about the Holiday's.  Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas that I love.

• I'm a September and October girl.  If I had to pick one, I'd go with October.

• July. Independence Day. Fireworks. State Fair. Corn season. Long days, hot weather. Swimming. Vitamin D. Anniversary. Grilling, cookouts, picnics, outdoor concerts. Fireflies, our veggie garden.

ooh yeah, we've been making a lot of bruschetta with tomatoes and basil from our garden! Home-grown tomatoes taste WAAAAAY better than the ones from the grocery store. I love being able to just walk out our back door and pick whatever I feel like eating. 

----boxboxbox---

We grow a LOT of tomatoes. We planted 6 varieties, and there are at least another 6 volunteer plants scattered about. We have gotten creative with how we use them. But you're SO right that nothing compares to a homegrown tomato. I won't even buy store-bought ones anymore because they just aren't the same, especially when they're out of season and flown in from South America.

H makes a damn good salsa with tomatoes, onions, multiple varieties of hot peppers, and cilantro all from the garden. It is SO good, especially after about a week when all the flavors fully blend.

Yep. I'm hoping to learn to make mozzarella by Next year do I can make my own capresse salad fully. We also grow blue potatoes...that and basil are my favorite parts.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Did anyone else think of Miss Congeniality when they were reading / responding to this post?

Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.

Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.
  • like this @FeeleyToBe

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

like this @FeeleyToBe

I didn't (and still don't)see that in the thread... weird. But yes. Like that.
  • do you have PamBeesly blocked?  It's only a few post above yours.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I love October. 

Tax season comes to an end for the year, the leaves change color, it cools off somewhat, Halloween comes.

• July, I think, but spring is my favourite season overall (April/May/June).  School is out, it's beautiful out and the days are super long.  I don't have to go to work and I love it.  Actually, I go back next week, and I'm already crying.  I hate September, it usually takes me about 3 weeks to get used to being back at work.  

I hate January.  The lead up to Christmas is over, it's fucking cold, dark and it's such a long month.  It just drags for me.  At least in Feb, it's a short month with lots of holidays/teachers convention and the days are getting longer.  

Since I've mentioned long/short days, in winter, we have sun from about 8-4:30, but in summer we get sun from about 5am-11pm and I absolutely love the long days.  I have a special light for the winter to make me feel happier

• Probably December, because I love the holiday season. I love the food, the music, the general feel everyone seems to have, the decorations, the snow (for the most part), the movies, and the gift giving.
  • l9il9i member
    July. Independence Day. Fireworks. State Fair. Corn season. Long days, hot weather. Swimming. Vitamin D. Anniversary. Grilling, cookouts, picnics, outdoor concerts. Fireflies, our veggie garden.

----boxboxbox---

Agreed.  We just canned a bunch of tomatoes last weekend.  We just made a variety of juice/crushed tomatoes/sauce.  We made chili last night and used some of what we canned and it was infinitely so much better!!  At least we made enough we won't have to be buying canned tomatoes, etc from the store anytime soon!
  • I can't pick JUST one.

October: Mine and DH's dating anniversary, football, cooler weather, I can wear boots almost everyday, fall decorations, Halloween, my birthday, bon fires, cold weather food.

December: Parade, Christmas, seeing family, slow time for DH and me at work, cold weather, all the sweets, getting to spoil people with gifts, holiday parties, and DH's Christmas bonus.

I'm lucky that NC has all four seasons and fall is beautiful here and winter is never too cold compared to some other places. 

• teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    edited August 2015

So many fall lovers!

I guess I don't LOVE fall, because it usually means 75% chance of snow haha. We got a little 'skiff' the other day, rain snow mix where I live, full on snow closer to the mountains. In August. So, yeah we don't really get fall in october. Parents outfit their kids halloween costumes to fit over snow suits! You lucky people with warm weather.

• So many fall lovers!

I guess I don't LOVE fall, because it usually means 75% chance of snow haha. We got a little 'skiff' the other day, rain snow mix where I live, full on snow closer to the mountains. In August. So, yeah we don't really get fall in october. Parents outfit their kids halloween costumes to fit over snow suits! You lucky people with warm weather.

Yeah, we were planning to spend this sat week camping in Jasper but decided not to go with all of the snow they got.  Kinda sad we didn't go anyway

• So many fall lovers!

Yeah, we were planning to spend this sat week camping in Jasper but decided not to go with all of the snow they got.  Kinda sad we didn't go anyway

I'm going camping next weekend, and crossing my fingers there's no snow haha. I will still go, but it's much more fun when you're not soggy and cold!
  • July, I think, but spring is my favourite season overall (April/May/June).  School is out, it's beautiful out and the days are super long.  I don't have to go to work and I love it.  Actually, I go back next week, and I'm already crying.  I hate September, it usually takes me about 3 weeks to get used to being back at work.  

I hate January.  The lead up to Christmas is over, it's fucking cold, dark and it's such a long month.  It just drags for me.  At least in Feb, it's a short month with lots of holidays/teachers convention and the days are getting longer.  

Since I've mentioned long/short days, in winter, we have sun from about 8-4:30, but in summer we get sun from about 5am-11pm and I absolutely love the long days.  I have a special light for the winter to make me feel happier

I hate the short days. It's better now that I am in an office with a full wall length window, but at my old job I worked 6-6, 6 days a week in a windowless office. It was aweful never seeing the sun. I would try and make a point to go outside even for 10 minutes at lunch even if it was -40 just to re-assure myself that my world wasnt perpetually dark
  • October. Especially this October. :)<3
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• So many fall lovers!

I grew up in the northern Midwest (near Chicago) and I remember versatile Halloween costumes being the key. Some years we had to squeeze turtle necks and jeans and snow boots under them cuz it would snow (I have a picture from when I was a kid of our jack-o-lanterns covered in snow) and other years we'd be cutting the sleeves off because it would be in the 80s. It's always a total toss-up. 
  • @PamBeesly524 that was so perfect, thank you for that

• vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2015
    I like every month except November and April.  November is usually when winter hits like a boulder.  There's no snow yet and everything is dark.  Late March - most of April it's either dirty snow or lots of rain or both.  My hair turns a nasty brassy color because I haven't swum in the ocean and gotten a lot of sun since September. I feel ugly and antisocial.

As with many PPs, September and October are among my favorite months. By this time of year I usually have a decent tan and don't mind thinking about fall and cool new clothes to wear.  I also love January and February because of the wintry coziness and going skiing, snowmobiling, playing pond hockey.  

New England has 4 legitimate seasons so if you love or hate one it doesn't matter too much because a new one is right around the corner.

*edited for typos
  • September/October for me as well, although I love the summer months for the weather. We make our own applesauce and do a lot of canning with the vegetables my mom grows in her garden. Halloween is like the pregame to the holidays for me and I become super excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I am stealing that since my birthday is next week!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards