Favors
Options

Is this too wordy?

libride2015libride2015 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited August 2015 in Favors
just kidding, thanks for the advice - just wont do it. 

Re: Is this too wordy?

• Options
    Donating to a charity as a wedding favor is typically frowned upon on here.  This is your wedding, not a time for you promote your favorite charity.  Yes, it may mean something to you, but others may not feel the same way or support it.

So if you want to make a donation to this charity, please do so because donating to something that you support is a great thing, but there is absolutely no need to promote the fact that you made this donation at your wedding.

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Why would a charity donation have any place at a wedding? It isn't a fundraiser. There is no reason for you to AW and tell people you are donating. Just donate privately and quietly.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Why can't you just donate? Why do you have to publicly pat yourselves on the back?

Edited for typo.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Personally I hate when people do donations instead of favors and point it out. If you were going to spend $300 on favors and decide to donate it instead of favors by all means please do but don't tell your guests about it. Also you might offend some people depending on which charity you choose. There are some charities that I am very against. This isn't really one of them but you also might not know all of your guest's stories. Maybe one of them has cancer and is struggling with payments and instead you decided to donate to a bunch of strangers. Again I'm not saying you shouldn't donate to this charity just when you put it in people's faces you might not get the result you are looking for. 

That's my two cents however for what you actually asked. Your card is really long and really hard to read with all of the different fonts, colors, and font sizing. Sorry. If you insist on doing it make it short and sweet and 1 font maybe 2 tops.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, since you posted this on the Favors board, I'm assuming this is meant to be a "favor" for your guests. I'm going to channel my inner Addie here and ask you this - why is it okay to donate to a charity instead of giving guests favors? Why not give to a charity in lieu of buying an expensive wedding dress, having a DJ or florist or going on a honeymoon?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    ShesSoCold I understand your opinion and appreciate what others have to say - but you have no idea if I am even wearing a wedding dress, hiring a DJ or using a florist or going on a honeymoon. 

Please dont assume. I was just simply asking about the wording of something I cared deeply about.

I understood the comments, and wont hand anything out at all.

Thanks for your input :) Have a great day. 
  • Options
    ShesSoCold I understand your opinion and appreciate what others have to say - but you have no idea if I am even wearing a wedding dress, hiring a DJ or using a florist or going on a honeymoon. 

Please dont assume. I was just simply asking about the wording of something I cared deeply about.

It was hypothetical. My point is that it doesn't make sense to announce how great you are to donate instead of giving something to guests when you're still getting everything you want. 
  • Options
    I was not trying to announce how great I was at all @Shessocold - all I was simply trying to do was give back to a fantastic cause. I work on this non-profit for free - AFTER my full time work week - and probably only my closest friends, parents and FI know about it. I am not asking for people to pat me on the back - I was trying to take money that often goes to a favor in which people put into a JUNK drawer and put it towards something where it could help someone really struggling. 

I agree with PP - I do not know everyones situation - someone could be struggling that I do not know about and they are right. But my intention was never to but myself on a high horse. 

• Options

SITB-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the risk of speaking for @shessocold, I'm sure she meant that as a general statement and was not referring to your dress, DJ, flowers, anything.  I read her suggestion to mean, "try cutting costs in other areas of *general wedding expenses* and donate what you saved to your favorite charity", which makes a lot of sense.  
  • Options
    Exactly, onefoot. Thanks!
  • Options
    just kidding, thanks for the advice - just wont do it. 

^^^FYI, doing this on an internet forum where people are offering you advice is poor form.  I came over here to read, "Is this too wordy" b/c I am good at editing only to find a weak DD.  

I didn't know jack about internet forums before coming here but there is a learning curve.  Deleting your original comment b/c you didn't like the advice you got (although some part of you must have appreciated it since you seem to be heeding it) is considered bad manners.  
  • Options
    I was not trying to announce how great I was at all @Shessocold - all I was simply trying to do was give back to a fantastic cause. I work on this non-profit for free - AFTER my full time work week - and probably only my closest friends, parents and FI know about it. I am not asking for people to pat me on the back - I was trying to take money that often goes to a favor in which people put into a JUNK drawer and put it towards something where it could help someone really struggling. 

I agree with PP - I do not know everyones situation - someone could be struggling that I do not know about and they are right. But my intention was never to but myself on a high horse. 

But buy handing out the cards that is exactly what you were doing.  Why else would you want to make those cards?

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    You can give to a fantastic cause all you like. Handing out cards telling people you did that is patting yourself on the back in a public way and announcing, "Look at us! We donated to charity! Isn't that wonderful of us?" I'm glad you decided against it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

The time to "give back to a fantastic cause" isn't at your wedding. Your wedding isn't a fundraiser or an awareness-raiser, and if you use it as such, your guests are going to feel preached at, pressured to donate to a cause they might not support or just don't feel like contributing to for whatever reason, and perhaps even guilty because you are doing something with your money instead if spending it on them.

It's certainly your right to donate to a charity at any time, but please keep that to yourself and not use your wedding to crow about how you did something "in lieu of favors." There's no requirement that you give favors at all, so whether or not your guests like favors isn't relevant, because doing so or not doing so is strictly up to you. But a "we did something else with our money than give something to our guests" is an ungracious and off-putting message to send to your guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards