Chit Chat

Wedding Shower Re-Caps & Reminiscing

edited August 2015 in Chit Chat
I had my wedding shower the weekend of the 15th, and I think a few others have had theirs in recent weeks.

Anyone want to share (funny) stories from their shower (whether it was 4 weeks or 4 years ago)?

My fiance's great aunt was invited but could not attend as her SIL passed away and she went to the funeral in OH.  Her gift(s) made me laugh!  Her grandmother was known to just put gifts in a garbage bag and tie them shut, so that's kind of what she did with the gifts she gave me, although she did wrap each individual item in a dish towel (practical- which I love). 

She also put a little gift tag on each with a little note like "I have one of these pans and I love them" or on a cookbook "I know Feeley likes to eat so I hope you get some creative recipes from this"

One of the items she gave us was a set of plastic food storage containers and it came with a paragraph-long warning label about washing them first before use, etc.  And she wrote "well duh" at the end of it.  For like, 80-something she's still got quite a bit of spunk.

Another favorite gift was also a favorite because of the wrapping.  FMIL's BFF came.  She bought us these and basically wrapped them in a thick piece of cardboard poster board so that the legs wouldn't poke through the wrapping paper.  The poster board was of a presentation her granddaughter did at school about how to stay healthy and avoid germs.  So I unwrapped this gift and was looking at a big germ and the happy birthday song (because you're supposed to wash your hands for as long as it takes to sing happy birthday twice).  I was cracking up and I've kept it and told her I'm going to hang it on our door every time she stops by to visit.

ETF:  Typos

Re: Wedding Shower Re-Caps & Reminiscing

• My story didn't happen at my shower, but the day before it.

I was doing my normal morning routine before work.  I shaved my legs and went to put the cap back on the shaving cream, while the razor was in the same hand as the cap.  Well, the cap slipped and I took off an inch of my skin on my hand, on the side below my thumb.  So I had to have a huge bandage on my hand during the shower and it was also hard to open presents since I couldn't use my right thumb and I'm a righty.  My hand was also very sore afterwards.  But other than that, my shower was great!

• edited August 2015
    FI and I were out for dinner the night before my shower/stagette with my FMIL and FFIL. 

During supper I had offered FI a sip of my wine. We love trying new wines and I thought he would like that one. 

FMIL see's this and says 'Are you guys looking forward to the wine tasting tomorrow night? I thought it was such a cool idea for your night out. I'm so glad that they decided to invite all the boys too. What a great idea'

I'm just sitting their with my mouth open and FI is like MOM!!!

So that's how my FMIL ruined the surprise that we we're all going to a wine tasting for my stagette and that all my favorite men were coming along too. 

I still acted surprised though when we got to the location and all the guys were standing there to surprise me. And it was still the perfect night out.

Edited because words are hard on monday.
  • My MOH is super type A and a former party planner and restaurant manager.  But, she's got baby brain and on her way to my house to set up the shower, at 11:30, she called me and was like "Oh we have plenty of time to get everything done by 2:00".  I had to remind her the shower started at 1:00.  

She freaked the fuck out... so I spent 10 minutes trying to calm her down, to tell her everything was going to be fine, etc.  My hair trial girl came at 12:00 and after my hair was done and she left, I spent the last 20 minutes before the shower started arranging flowers in teapots for the centerpieces.... in my bathtub because it was the only place that was out of the way that people wouldn't see for the party.  

I know as a bride I wasn't supposed to help with stuff like that but I felt so bad for my poor MOH.  The whole party turned out completely lovely as well, but she still dwells on stuff that wasn't done (that nobody noticed but her).  
    Married 9.12.15
  • My cousin taped a vibrating penis ring and a bottle of lube to the gift she gave me.  
  • My bachelorette party and wedding shower were in the same weekend because my MOH lives about 14 hours away from me and wanted to be here for both. My shower went off without a hitch! No funny moments there.

My funny moment happened before the bachelorette party. We'd decided a few months ago to go out for dinner and drinks and then have the lingerie shower, etc. at my house. My MOH said the only way this would work is if I would leave for a few hours before the party so she could decorate. She wanted it to be a surprise.

Anyways, when I was told I could come back to my house, I was of course greeted with the most hideous fluffy glittery veil that said "bride" in huge letters on top to wear the entire evening. The outfit was made complete by a sparkly sash that said "Future Mrs. Beckler" on it. We got ready to leave the house to head to the restaurant when I remembered that I needed to feed my 2 dogs. I opened the pantry to discover that I was completely out of dog food. I asked the girls if we could stop to get dog food before dinner, and they said they would only allow that if I wore the whole bride getup into the store.

Basically, I was stared at, laughed at and congratulated by random strangers. All while my dear BM's took pictures. Thankfully I'm the type of person who doesn't mind having a ton of attention. But seriously, nothing screams girls night out like buying dog food, right???

Couldn't let these 2 faces starve :)

• My aunt hosted my shower at a cute little restaurant. A few things:

1. My gramma with (then mild) dementia got drunk. It's kind of hard to tell the difference now that her dementia has progressed but she went into one of her major AW phases and decided that she needed to move from the 'family' table to one with a bunch of my school friends. A bit awkward.

2. My aunt over-bought on the silly mugs with our names etched in them. We have dozens of them at home now...

3. My sister bought from our registry: a blanket and an awesome rolling cooler. When I opened the cooler I also found a dirty diaper (rolled up). Apparently my niece had played "hide the diaper" when my sister was changing her at my parent's a few hours before and my sister never found it. It was pretty funny. Fortunately, the blanket was still wrapped in plastic.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My aunt hosted my shower at a cute little restaurant. A few things:

1. My gramma with (then mild) dementia got drunk. It's kind of hard to tell the difference now that her dementia has progressed but she went into one of her major AW phases and decided that she needed to move from the 'family' table to one with a bunch of my school friends. A bit awkward.

2. My aunt over-bought on the silly mugs with our names etched in them. We have dozens of them at home now...

3. My sister bought from our registry: a blanket and an awesome rolling cooler. When I opened the cooler I also found a dirty diaper (rolled up). Apparently my niece had played "hide the diaper" when my sister was changing her at my parent's a few hours before and my sister never found it. It was pretty funny. Fortunately, the blanket was still wrapped in plastic.

This is hilarious!
  • My H's grandma is adorable - cute little fat little old lady who always has perfect makeup and matching shoes, purses, outfits, etc. Someone told us all that there's some superstition that you'll have as many babies as ribbons you break while opening gifts, so since we don't want kids, I had fun with it and was very careful not to break any ribbons. H's grandma yells out that that's not how babies are really made and she'll have to tell me later. It was hilarious. 
    Just went to a bridal shower this weekend where that was the tradition in their family too.  I don't want kids so both hostesses of my party said no to that "game" - YAY!
  • My shower was on Sunday and it was really good: plenty to eat and drink, a fast gift-opening process (there were over 60 guests), no games, and good music. FI and I also had plenty of time at the beginning and end to greet each guest, thank them, and chit-chat a little. Took the day off yesterday to unpack our new goodies in the house and I'm going to attack thank you cards this week.

Not a really funny story I guess but an interesting find: I really hated the Bed, Bath, and Beyond registry. I had a ton of duplicate gifts at the shower and the gift-givers were horrified. Most of them confirmed to me that the gift wasn't fulfilled at the time of buying. Obviously it's not a big deal and I assured them it was fine, but now I have a bunch of things to return. I know, I know. First world problem for real. But I feel bad for the gift-givers; they were under the impression they were buying me something unique. I also noticed that I received some gifts that are still listed as unfulfilled on the registry, so they were never marked off as being fulfilled. I just had to go in and manually remove them from the registry to avoid further duplicates. On top of the fulfillment errors, I would log on to my registry here and there leading up to the shower only to find certain items being randomly marked as out of stock -- like on a daily basis. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely not register there. I also registered at Crate and Barrel which was awesome and easy and stress-free.

While I'm venting, why do people buy gifts that are not on the registry? I'm talking my mother's friend or FI's aunt who don't even know me really buying me weird gifts that aren't my taste at all. Clothes, home decor, etc. that I don't like and/or will never use. I feel bad snarking about someone's gift to me, but at the same time, I didn't register for a set of decorative plates or a cheetah-print "bride" hoodie for a reason... 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited August 2015
    peachy13 said:
    My shower was on Sunday and it was really good: plenty to eat and drink, a fast gift-opening process (there were over 60 guests), no games, and good music. FI and I also had plenty of time at the beginning and end to greet each guest, thank them, and chit-chat a little. Took the day off yesterday to unpack our new goodies in the house and I'm going to attack thank you cards this week.

Not a really funny story I guess but an interesting find: I really hated the Bed, Bath, and Beyond registry. I had a ton of duplicate gifts at the shower and the gift-givers were horrified. Most of them confirmed to me that the gift wasn't fulfilled at the time of buying. Obviously it's not a big deal and I assured them it was fine, but now I have a bunch of things to return. I know, I know. First world problem for real. But I feel bad for the gift-givers; they were under the impression they were buying me something unique. I also noticed that I received some gifts that are still listed as unfulfilled on the registry, so they were never marked off as being fulfilled. I just had to go in and manually remove them from the registry to avoid further duplicates. On top of the fulfillment errors, I would log on to my registry here and there leading up to the shower only to find certain items being randomly marked as out of stock -- like on a daily basis. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely not register there. I also registered at Crate and Barrel which was awesome and easy and stress-free.

While I'm venting, why do people buy gifts that are not on the registry? I'm talking my mother's friend or FI's aunt who don't even know me really buying me weird gifts that aren't my taste at all. Clothes, home decor, etc. that I don't like and/or will never use. I feel bad snarking about someone's gift to me, but at the same time, I didn't register for a set of decorative plates or a cheetah-print "bride" hoodie for a reason... 

I hear ya.  Gifts are never required, and a registry is technically a "suggestion" but personally, if someone has a registry, I buy from it.  Because I want to give people gifts they want.  I assume they want this gift if they've registered for it.

I already have a bag of every single off-registry item given to us ready to go to the donation center.  I have a tiny one-bedroom / studio apartment and don't have room for things we don't need.  Especially the ceramic pumpkin and crow statue (even if it was hand painted) that is fugly.

ETA:  I lied- I kept 3 things given to us off registry; 2 cookbooks (I have a cookbook obsession) and a set of metal storage containers.
  • luckya23 said:
    peachy13 said:
    My shower was on Sunday and it was really good: plenty to eat and drink, a fast gift-opening process (there were over 60 guests), no games, and good music. FI and I also had plenty of time at the beginning and end to greet each guest, thank them, and chit-chat a little. Took the day off yesterday to unpack our new goodies in the house and I'm going to attack thank you cards this week.

OMG YESSSSSS

MIL had a shower for me, with 75% people I had never met, and I think I only got 1 thing from my registry, and 1 thing that was like something on the registry (she bought the wrong brand comforter, so I ended up with 2).  SO MUCH RANDOM STUFF!  Luckily Marshall's took a lot of it back even without the price tags - so there was extra hassle of trying to find the stuff in the store so I could then return it!

I'm sorry, if you've never been in my house, you are ineligible to furnish it with what you think I like.

And of course let's not forget these beauties.

Bahahahaha those are priceless!!!! You mean you don't LOVE an ugly shell teapot set?? (I think that's what it is?)

• No, @becklertobe , I didn't quite love them!  Just because I like the beach and the color aqua... Well putting those things together can actually go wrong! 

And yes, it was a tea pot set that went right back to TJ Maxx!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• @luckya23 I remember when you posted the picture of that set - didn't another Knottie actually like them?? Funny how all of our tastes and décor styles vary
  • kvruns said:
    @luckya23 I remember when you posted the picture of that set - didn't another Knottie actually like them?? Funny how all of our tastes and décor styles vary
    Me too.  When I made this post I was almost wondering if that photo would show up here.  :-D

• luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015

Wait until I get a photo of the flamingo planter his parents gave us as a wedding gift!

ETA: Sadly, it didn't fit in the car coming back home after the wedding. 

• kvruns said:

@luckya23 I remember when you posted the picture of that set - didn't another Knottie actually like them?? Funny how all of our tastes and décor styles vary

That was me! I admit I love the tea set but it's one of those things that I would love and everyone else would look at me in a horrified manner.

Anyway, my shower is in October and I've been wondering what it'll be like. I hope I have a funny story for this thread :dizzy:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• For my shower, I was diagnosed with strep throat the day before. So my mother was NOT thrilled when I told her. I advised I felt physically fine, but my throat hurt like a bitch and I would make sure I could still eat.

So for mine, it was an old hollywood/breakfast at tiffany's theme {loooovvveeedddd} and a few of the games made things hilarious.

game 1 - through out the shower, you couldn't cross your arms or legs or else you lost your necklace by someone. My H's aunt was a HAWK! She was already in front of you taking your necklace before you even realized your legs were crossed LMAO

game 2 - toilet paper wedding gown.
    H's step-grandma ended up winning out of sheer hilarity. So we broke into teams, and had to parade around to "i'm too sexy" for others to see. She got half way down the catwalk and her dress broke! She just shimmied around, laughing and saying "Oh look! I'm your stripper" *laughs* Oh gosh it was hilarious :)
  • PamBeesly524PamBeesly524 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    For my shower, I was diagnosed with strep throat the day before. So my mother was NOT thrilled when I told her. I advised I felt physically fine, but my throat hurt like a bitch and I would make sure I could still eat.

So for mine, it was an old hollywood/breakfast at tiffany's theme {loooovvveeedddd} and a few of the games made things hilarious.

game 1 - through out the shower, you couldn't cross your arms or legs or else you lost your necklace by someone. My H's aunt was a HAWK! She was already in front of you taking your necklace before you even realized your legs were crossed LMAO

game 2 - toilet paper wedding gown.
    H's step-grandma ended up winning out of sheer hilarity. So we broke into teams, and had to parade around to "i'm too sexy" for others to see. She got half way down the catwalk and her dress broke! She just shimmied around, laughing and saying "Oh look! I'm your stripper" *laughs* Oh gosh it was hilarious :)

BOXBOXBOX

Huh? Like the necklace you wore to the shower or a necklace you got before the game? 
  • @PamBeesly524 should have clarified, we received necklaces ahead of time when walking in :) {silver dollar store ones but went great with theme}

@FeeleyToBe right!? We all died laughing. She's in her 70s :')
  • @PamBeesly524 should have clarified, we received necklaces ahead of time when walking in :) {silver dollar store ones but went great with theme}

@FeeleyToBe right!? We all died laughing. She's in her 70s :')
    Got it... Makes WAY more sense now hah.
  • The flamingo plant stand has landed at my house!  H went up there last week to gather our remaining wedding stuff.  So here are the photos, as promised!  (This actually would have been better than the shower gift I did get (free electric toothbrush from their closing dental practice), but as your son's wedding gift???)imageimage

• luckya23 said:

The flamingo plant stand has landed at my house!  H went up there last week to gather our remaining wedding stuff.  So here are the photos, as promised!  (This actually would have been better than the shower gift I did get (free electric toothbrush from their closing dental practice), but as your son's wedding gift???)imageimage

Another horrendously tacky thing I love. I need help :p But as much as I personally love tacky flamingos and sea shell tea sets, I'D NEVER GIVE THEM TO SOMEONE ELSE. Why would someone do that?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    hellohkb said:
    luckya23 said:

The flamingo plant stand has landed at my house!  H went up there last week to gather our remaining wedding stuff.  So here are the photos, as promised!  (This actually would have been better than the shower gift I did get (free electric toothbrush from their closing dental practice), but as your son's wedding gift???)imageimage

Another horrendously tacky thing I love. I need help :p But as much as I personally love tacky flamingos and sea shell tea sets, I'D NEVER GIVE THEM TO SOMEONE ELSE. Why would someone do that?
    I kind of love the flamingo and other tacky stuff too.  My MOH gets me, she got me a metal goat (similar to the Beyonce chickens, although not as large), as a housewarming/engagement gift.  He has a very happy home on my kitchen/dining bookshelf with all my cookbooks.   But yes, I would never gift someone something like that unless I knew for sure they'd be totally into it.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Apparently when we went to the florist together, I saw it there and said "Oh cool" or something - because it is something I would consider buying for myself.  She wrote in our wedding card, "Be careful what you wish for!"

It just seems inappropriate for what is supposed to be a big moment, I guess. 

• missa011missa011 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2015

I had a shower this past Saturday and it was AMAZING. While my mom and sister are throwing me a shower in our hometown next month, my mom's BFFs from college wanted to throw one for me as well while we were all on Cape Cod this past weekend. They are wonderful, genius women and hilarious so I knew it would be great. They invited the men to stay, so it was pretty hilarious watching my dad and uncle try to figure out bridal shower etiquette.

We did play the toilet paper gown game, as a competition. 2 teams, 2 brides. Of course my team chose to dress me up...and the other team dressed up FI! So hilarious, an image I'll never forget (also thanks to social media it's for the world to see).

Also of note, my cousin's boyfriend got SUPER into it and designed my entire dress. LOL.

I know my next shower will not be as entertaining (though still lovely).

• hellohkb said:
    luckya23 said:

I kind of love the flamingo and other tacky stuff too.  My MOH gets me, she got me a metal goat (similar to the Beyonce chickens, although not as large), as a housewarming/engagement gift.  He has a very happy home on my kitchen/dining bookshelf with all my cookbooks.   But yes, I would never gift someone something like that unless I knew for sure they'd be totally into it.

I actually have one of these! I have a thing for flamingos. So when they came out with the skelemingos I about lost it. I've got a few sets at our place that stay out all year.
  • missa011 said:

I had a shower this past Saturday and it was AMAZING. While my mom and sister are throwing me a shower in our hometown next month, my mom's BFFs from college wanted to throw one for me as well while we were all on Cape Cod this past weekend. They are wonderful, genius women and hilarious so I knew it would be great. They invited the men to stay, so it was pretty hilarious watching my dad and uncle try to figure out bridal shower etiquette.

We did play the toilet paper gown game, as a competition. 2 teams, 2 brides. Of course my team chose to dress me up...and the other team dressed up FI! So hilarious, an image I'll never forget (also thanks to social media it's for the world to see).

Also of note, my cousin's boyfriend got SUPER into it and designed my entire dress. LOL.

I know my next shower will not be as entertaining (though still lovely).

omg that's amazing! :') it looks like he's snapping at you going "i am fab-u-lous!" lmao!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards