Chit Chat

Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

Re: Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

• I immediately thought of the Eminem song Stan. I don't love the name either. Not that it matters, you should just choose what you love, seeing as it's "normal" and not something ridiculous.

Hmmm as for similar suggestions, I don't know. Dean is a yes. Scott, Peter, Adam, Malcolm, Desmond, Easton, Jason, Bradley. I feel like those are all normal but just different enough that there won't be 18 others in his class. Because I agree with you, some people say just use a name no matter the popularity but I always felt so bad for the million Mikes, Bobs, Katies where you had to use their last initial.

• I'm not a fan of Stanley, but there are probably lots of people who aren't a fan of my name either.  I AM a fan of naming a child something you just like instead of  the requirement being  no one else in the class will likely have that name.  DD #2 was always J_____ B in elementary because her name was very popular.  Now she has a daughter who has a VERY popular name and will most likely be S_____ K for a long time to come.

Thousands and thousands of names came across my desk before I retired and it was pretty common for someone in the office to say "his parents are gonna get a sucky nursing home" based on the name.  This was from people trying to spell their kids name oh so speshul (Ghynnyfer instead of Jennifer) or just being kinda out there.  I had a file on my desk one day and this kid had just enlisted - wasn't even out of high school yet.  His name was Melvin Elwood whatever.  Go through elementary/middle school with the name Melvin Elwood and tell me it was fun.  Then the poor kid had to go to Basic Training with it.  Good times.

I think it is important to give a kid a name they won't spend their life having to explain.  My mom's first name was Fancheon.  She hated it immensely and she really hated always having to explain her name.  Even as an adult in her 40's.  I remember her telling me when I was 9 or 10 "don't you or your brothers name a kid after your father or me".  No problemo there.  Your name should be warm and comfortable, like your favorite jeans - not some experiment in  your parents ability to be uber speshul creative.  And.... it should fit well on a name plaque like "Supreme Court Justice Stanley Lane Whatever"

If you guys really like the name and think it is a great fit then awesome!  but I wouldn't pick it just because no other kid is the class is likely to have it.

• I'm not crazy about the name, but the reality is, it'd be a BORING world if people only had names I'd choose for my own kid.

As long as you're not choosing some really crazy sounding name, it's your kid, so choose what you'd like.  Stanley Lane is a perfectly reasonable name.  

SaveSave
  • I actually don't mind Stanley too much, but I don't like Stan, which is probably what people will call him (whether he wants them to or not).  I don't mind Beau (reminds me of the actor Beau Bridges) or Dean either.  

FI wants to name our hypothetical son Boone.  I'm still working on it, and/or hoping for a girl haha.
    Married 9.12.15
  • l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I am not a fan for the reason I don't think it flows well with the L sounds as PPs have mentioned.  If you like Dean why not Stanley Dean or something like that?  I love that people are reviving "classic" names. In terms of similar names, the names Arthur and Henry came to mind.
  • I actually don't mind Stanley too much, but I don't like Stan, which is probably what people will call him (whether he wants them to or not).  I don't mind Beau (reminds me of the actor Beau Bridges) or Dean either.  

FI wants to name our hypothetical son Boone.  I'm still working on it, and/or hoping for a girl haha.

This is a long shot but is he a Boone Jenner (hockey player) fan? Boone isn't a common name... ;)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I agree with others that it's not ones business on what you name your child except yours and your H's.

I like the name Stanley, though it does remind me of an older man and Stan from South Park. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think it's really disrespectful the way your family is acting. I don't think it's anyone other than child's parents to decide on the name personally.
  • Don't like the name Stanley personally.  Stan I could do.  I like the middle name.
  • Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

Is Stanley a family name? 

It is a family name. . . on DH's side, of a family member he absolutely adored who has since passed.  DH's mom was divorced from his dad when he was about 7.  I'm not sure if that causes additional animosity towards the name or not.
    If he has the same first, middle and last name of the relative, he would be Stanley Lane Brown, II. I don't know why but I like seconds, thirds, juniors, etc.
    I'm not sure where you got the impression that he would be a second or a junior. . . nowhere near the case.  I am not personally a fan of juniors, nor is DH.
  • I actually really like Stanley, but not "Stan." Not at ALL a fan of Beau, but Dean is ok.

When my sister and her H were pregnant with my niece, they wouldn't tell anyone what name they decided on. At the time, I was kind of annoyed because I was REALLY excited and I really wanted to know, but in retrospect I completely understand not telling people your name choices for the exact reason that you didn't want to tell your MIL... She may not like Stanley as a hypothetical name, but when her grandson is born - whatever name you decide on - she is going to love him and his name.

H wants to name our future son Harold, after his much beloved great grandfather with whom he was very close. It has grown on me over time - we would call him Harry - but whenever I tell people, they scrunch their nose and say "REALLY? Harold?" So we stopped discussing it with other people.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of it, but I'm not really into "old" names. I know lots of names make comebacks but for Stan I think of a nerdy older guy (no offense to anyone with a Stan/Stanley in their life). That being said if you guys like it, go for it.

• I'm not a particular fan of Stanley or Beau, although I think Dean is okay.

Ultimately though it's up to you and your DH.

• kaos16 said:

kaos16 said:

Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

It is a family name. . . on DH's side, of a family member he absolutely adored who has since passed.  DH's mom was divorced from his dad when he was about 7.  I'm not sure if that causes additional animosity towards the name or not.
    If he has the same first, middle and last name of the relative, he would be Stanley Lane Brown, II. I don't know why but I like seconds, thirds, juniors, etc.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that he would be a second or a junior. . . nowhere near the case.  I am not personally a fan of juniors, nor is DH.

Bc you said the name is a family name, of a relative who had died. If Your son and the favorite family member have identical names, then your son could/would be the the second. "He" being your son Stanley. You said it's a family name, hence the impression. I never said he would be junior. Juniors have to be a direct son, seconds can be a relation with the same name, as can thirds, fourths, etc.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

Bc you said the name is a family name, of a relative who had died. If Your son and the favorite family member have identical names, then your son could/would be the the second. "He" being your son Stanley. You said it's a family name, hence the impression. I never said he would be junior. Juniors have to be a direct son, seconds can be a relation with the same name, as can thirds, fourths, etc.
    The Stanley was the family name, the original Stanley had a completely different middle name.
  • kaos16 said:

Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

Since Stanley is a family name, then go for it.  You are probably right that MIL probably doesn't care for the name due to it being from her ex-H's family.  I'm sure if Stanley was say, her father's name, then she would probably be singing a different tune.

As a PP said, I think Stanley Dean has a good ring to it.  Stanley Lane sounds a little problematic with the two "L" sounds so close together.

• I don't think this has been mentioned, but something to think about is that Stanley Lane (especially if your son will be called Stan) sounds similar to/reminds me of Stan Lee, the comic guru. I don't know if that's what you're going for, but I wanted to put that out there. That being said Stanley is a classic name and I don't think you can go wrong with any name you and your H like.
  • I am not a fan personally, but what is important is that you and you H like it. It immediatley made me think of Streetcar Named Desire via Camp Nowhere.

Of course, I didn't like my H's first or last name when we were dating either. But now it is just normal to me and I took his last name when we got married. I think everyone will get used to it and won't have an issue after the kid has been around a while, just like I no longer dislike H's name. It is just HIM.

• kaos16 said:

So you like the name, your H likes the name, and it's in honor of someone dear to you/H.  Done.  Congrats, sounds like you picked an excellent baby name:).

It drives me insane the way people think they have a right to an opinion on baby names.  You're naming a human!  That's probably one of the most personal decisions you'll ever make in your life.  

To the rest of them:

This

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• AprilH81 said:
    I actually don't mind Stanley too much, but I don't like Stan, which is probably what people will call him (whether he wants them to or not).  I don't mind Beau (reminds me of the actor Beau Bridges) or Dean either.  

This is a long shot but is he a Boone Jenner (hockey player) fan? Boone isn't a common name... ;)
    He's not a CBJ fan but that's who he got hte idea from :)  There's also a Rockies (baseball) player named Boone.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • kaos16 said:
    My cousin wanted to name her kid Archibald with an A last name...we all convinced her not to, kid is glad to this day. Sometimes is what's best for the kid. Like if you want to name your kid Lester, I'm going to do everything in my power to convince you otherwise, for the kid's sake :wink:
    but Lester the Molester has such a nice ring to it!

The only nickname I can think of with Stanley is Stan, and Stan the Man makes me giggle.  It's cheesy but non-offensive.

Sorry, I'm not a regular, but I signed in just to LOL at this because Lester is my fiance's name, I almost spit out my water when I read this.
       I hated his name when I first met him (I still kind of do, but I'm used to it now) but I had never heard Lester the molester, I'm dying and I'm also a bit sad for him :-(
      Also, for OP's original question I will say that I really dislike the name Stanley, it will always remind me of an middle age, bold guy for some reason, probably because I automatically think of Stanley from 'the Office", but that is my personal opinion.
     I say if you like the name go for it, but if I had to pick one of all the names you suggested, I would go with 'Dean' 
  • I don't like it. I actually had to read it twice, I thought it said Lane Staley, like the guy from Alice in Chains!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Unbiased opinion? I associate Stanley with an older gentleman's name and not a young child's, but that's neither good nor bad. (If I had to take a wild guess, I think that might be the reason that some of the commenters don't personally take a shine to it.) But like you said, you're thinking ahead into the future and considering the "durability" of the name. The more modern "Lane" I think does a good job of balancing it out. 

Not to mention, there are a lot of classic names that only a few years ago we may have associated with stuffy old men (George, Charlie, Jack, etc...) but are making a HUGE come-back. I think by choosing Stanley you're getting on the classic band-wagon, but without running the risk of having a bunch of other children with the same name.

I don't really see the harm in the "double L's". I think the name has a nice ring to it and if you and your hubby agree, consider it a sign that it was meant to be! It's so rare for mom and dad to be on the same page, so I think you should go ahead with your decision confidently. :)

For what it's worth, my Mother in Law hates all of her grand-children's names, but loves them dearly all the same. :) 
  • mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I LOVE old names for babies. Stanley wouldn't be my first choice but there's nothing horrible about it whatsoever. My first associations are my great-uncle, Stan Lee, and the Stanley Cup. I agree that the two Ls close together make it a tongue-twister, but that's not the end of the world. The Eminem song has made "Stan" slang for an obsessive fan of something/one, but I don't know how widely used that is.
    Similar "old man" names: Harvey, Frank, Wilson

Dean is a nice name too. My first associations are the Gilmore Girl character, James Dean, and a couple of my cousins. Lots of leather jackets.

Beau reminds me of hound dogs and the southern US.
  • Speaking as someone with one of those ~special unique individual~ names (not Molly ;)), I would like to caution against selecting a name so that the kid stands out in a classroom. I would rather be one of 14 Samanthas in a room and not have to humour people with an explanation of my made-up name lol.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    A family member recently named her child Stanley.  I'm not a huge fan (of the name, the kid is fine, if not a bit precocious).  It's pretty much a given that he's referred to as "Stan the Man".  They prefer to call him Stanley instead of Stan.  I'm on board with the old man name kick we've been on in recent years, but I can't say that Stanley is one I've been itching to see make a revival.  I've known three middle-aged Stans and every one of them hated their names, one going so far as to go by his middle name instead.

That said, your kid so name him what you want.  I greatly prefer Stanley to anything in the Jaden/Kaden/Aiden family or anything with a creative spelling, but still not a fan personally and would probably relegate that to a middle name instead.

Dean is ok.  Dislike Beau.  Too many canines with that name to not automatically go there first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards