Chit Chat

Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

Re: Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

• I don't know any dogs named Beau, but I do know a man in his 30s. I don't mind the name at all. 
    I agree that the Stanley Lane is a little toungue twister. None of those names you picked are horrible, they are real names, so if you like it go for it.

• Name the kid miley
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Not a fan personally, and Stanley immediately made me think of the character in The Office as well as Stan Lee.  Then, realizing people will likely call him Stan, it made me think of the Eminem song and "Stan the Man" as a nickname.
    Dean makes me think of the character from Gilmore Girls and I like the name better as a whole.
    Beau makes me think of the word meaning your significant other/person you are dating.  I'm not a big fan.
    ETA the word "and"
  • Hearing all of these comments about family members saying how much they hate the name(s) chosen is probably the reason why my sister didn't tell anyone the names picked for her two girls until after they were born because her IL side I could see saying something.  One would really need to be cold hearted to tell a brand new Mom that their kids name sucks.

This. We didnt tell anyone our names cause it always seems like there is one person who will intentionally try to destroy the name. ("I like the name Ted." "Oh you mean like Ted Bundy?" "Thanks a-hole") and when people demanded to know even after i said i wasnt telling anyone, i would make something up. "Petunia Moon for a girl or Bartholemew Jack for a boy". That shut 'em up.

As far as your baby name pick, I don't think my opinion matters. I do prefer more classic names over made up, mushed-together ones. Just think, there are little gitls out there named Renesmee. Thanks stephanie meyers.
  • luckya23 said:
    I don't like it. I actually had to read it twice, I thought it said Lane Staley, like the guy from Alice in Chains!

When I first read it, I read it as that too. I was wow, big Alice in Chains fan.

Honestly, I kinda like Stanley. It's unusual but not youneeek. Maybe it will make a comeback.

• kmmssg said:

I'm not a fan of Stanley, but there are probably lots of people who aren't a fan of my name either.  I AM a fan of naming a child something you just like instead of  the requirement being  no one else in the class will likely have that name.  DD #2 was always J_____ B in elementary because her name was very popular.  Now she has a daughter who has a VERY popular name and will most likely be S_____ K for a long time to come.

Thousands and thousands of names came across my desk before I retired and it was pretty common for someone in the office to say "his parents are gonna get a sucky nursing home" based on the name.  This was from people trying to spell their kids name oh so speshul (Ghynnyfer instead of Jennifer) or just being kinda out there.  I had a file on my desk one day and this kid had just enlisted - wasn't even out of high school yet.  His name was Melvin Elwood whatever.  Go through elementary/middle school with the name Melvin Elwood and tell me it was fun.  Then the poor kid had to go to Basic Training with it.  Good times.

I think it is important to give a kid a name they won't spend their life having to explain.  My mom's first name was Fancheon.  She hated it immensely and she really hated always having to explain her name.  Even as an adult in her 40's.  I remember her telling me when I was 9 or 10 "don't you or your brothers name a kid after your father or me".  No problemo there.  Your name should be warm and comfortable, like your favorite jeans - not some experiment in  your parents ability to be uber speshul creative.  And.... it should fit well on a name plaque like "Supreme Court Justice Stanley Lane Whatever"

If you guys really like the name and think it is a great fit then awesome!  but I wouldn't pick it just because no other kid is the class is likely to have it.

I had a neighbor for awhile named Fancheon, but she went by Fancy. Which TOTALLY fit her, but she is the only Fancheon I have ever met.
  • I like Stanley more than Beau. But I detest when people tell you that you "aren't allowed to use a name". They had a kid and chose that kid's name already. Now they need to back off and let you name your own kid.

I know a Stanley, but he is in his 60s, so I think it is an older name. But seriously, you aren't naming him something terrible. You do you :)

But this is also why H and I won't share names till after the baby is born. Nobody is going to look at cute little Stanley and say he has an awful name.
  • sarahufl said:
    kmmssg said:

I'm not a fan of Stanley, but there are probably lots of people who aren't a fan of my name either.  I AM a fan of naming a child something you just like instead of  the requirement being  no one else in the class will likely have that name.  DD #2 was always J_____ B in elementary because her name was very popular.  Now she has a daughter who has a VERY popular name and will most likely be S_____ K for a long time to come.

Thousands and thousands of names came across my desk before I retired and it was pretty common for someone in the office to say "his parents are gonna get a sucky nursing home" based on the name.  This was from people trying to spell their kids name oh so speshul (Ghynnyfer instead of Jennifer) or just being kinda out there.  I had a file on my desk one day and this kid had just enlisted - wasn't even out of high school yet.  His name was Melvin Elwood whatever.  Go through elementary/middle school with the name Melvin Elwood and tell me it was fun.  Then the poor kid had to go to Basic Training with it.  Good times.

I think it is important to give a kid a name they won't spend their life having to explain.  My mom's first name was Fancheon.  She hated it immensely and she really hated always having to explain her name.  Even as an adult in her 40's.  I remember her telling me when I was 9 or 10 "don't you or your brothers name a kid after your father or me".  No problemo there.  Your name should be warm and comfortable, like your favorite jeans - not some experiment in  your parents ability to be uber speshul creative.  And.... it should fit well on a name plaque like "Supreme Court Justice Stanley Lane Whatever"

If you guys really like the name and think it is a great fit then awesome!  but I wouldn't pick it just because no other kid is the class is likely to have it.

I had a neighbor for awhile named Fancheon, but she went by Fancy. Which TOTALLY fit her, but she is the only Fancheon I have ever met.
    one of our local tv news people is Fancheon. I'd never heard the name until then
  • kvruns said:
    sarahufl said:
    kmmssg said:

one of our local tv news people is Fancheon. I'd never heard the name until then

SHUT UP!!!!!!!  My mom died in 1970 and I have never ever heard the name since!
  • Speaking as someone with one of those ~special unique individual~ names (not Molly ;)), I would like to caution against selecting a name so that the kid stands out in a classroom. I would rather be one of 14 Samanthas in a room and not have to humour people with an explanation of my made-up name lol.

Yeah, you said this so much better than I did when it comes to those youneek made up names.  You just shouldn't have to spend your life explaining your name.
  • I'm late here, but not a huge, huge fan of Stanley.  There are some Stanleys in my family back in my grandma's generation and earlier, so maybe I just associate it with old men.  Nothing wrong with the name, though:  it's straightforward, easy to spell and pronounce, you're good.

Beau makes me think of Beau Biden, which is neither good nor bad, just is.  I like it just fine.  Not so crazy about Dean, but again, that's just personal taste.  Logistically, I think it works. 

• Heffalump said:
    I'm late here, but not a huge, huge fan of Stanley.  There are some Stanleys in my family back in my grandma's generation and earlier, so maybe I just associate it with old men.  Nothing wrong with the name, though:  it's straightforward, easy to spell and pronounce, you're good.

Beau makes me think of Beau Biden, which is neither good nor bad, just is.  I like it just fine.  Not so crazy about Dean, but again, that's just personal taste.  Logistically, I think it works. 

He'll be an adult/ old man for way longer than he's a cute little baby!
  • kmmssg said:
    Speaking as someone with one of those ~special unique individual~ names (not Molly ;)), I would like to caution against selecting a name so that the kid stands out in a classroom. I would rather be one of 14 Samanthas in a room and not have to humour people with an explanation of my made-up name lol.

Yeah, you said this so much better than I did when it comes to those youneek made up names.  You just shouldn't have to spend your life explaining your name.

Yea but it doesn't have to be made up in order to not be super popular. Example of names that I've only met one of in my life yet it's not a made up name- Spencer, Lance, Rosalyn, Katrina, Sabrina, Angelica, Broderick.

• I'm not wild about any of the names, but I think whichever name you and your H pick is most importantly up to the two of you.

I am always interested in the meaning of names, so I did some googling.

Stanley - An English name which comes from a surname meaning rocky meadow.

Beau - A French name meaning handsome.

Dean - A Latin name meaning presiding official.

• kmmssg said:
    kvruns said:
    sarahufl said:
    kmmssg said:

Just like the Stanley I know, Fancheon was in her 70s. It's French, right?
  • sarahufl said:
    kmmssg said:
    kvruns said:
    sarahufl said:
    kmmssg said:

Just like the Stanley I know, Fancheon was in her 70s. It's French, right?
    Yes, her middle and maiden names were VERY French.
  • I don't mind Stanley. I have a great uncle named Stanley we call him Stan. It works for him. We are expecting and this is why now I am making up names and pretending I'm serious when people ask :)   Or even debate. It's beyond me why some feel they have a right to have a say on some of this stuff. A personal pet peeve of mine is when we say we are having only 1.. EVEN strangers say "you can't have just one".. Well we can.. sssssooo......

• I don't mind Stanley. I have a great uncle named Stanley we call him Stan. It works for him. We are expecting and this is why now I am making up names and pretending I'm serious when people ask :)   Or even debate. It's beyond me why some feel they have a right to have a say on some of this stuff. A personal pet peeve of mine is when we say we are having only 1.. EVEN strangers say "you can't have just one".. Well we can.. sssssooo......

BOXESBOXESBOXES

When I was pregnant with DS I had 4 daughters pestering me with all kinds of froo froo girly names (didn't know he was a DS yet).  The youngest stepdd asked me what we were going to name the baby if it was a boy.  With the straightest of faces I told her, "Ichabod.  I think we will call him Icky for short."  She was 7 at the time and looked at me with absolute mortification and said, "don't you think the kids will make fun of him at school?"

Just offering up another alternative.  How many kids you have and what  you name this is your business.

• I don't mind any of those names. Stanley is not my favorite name, but it doesn't make me cringe! Just be sure you don't mind his nickname becoming Stan. My aunt always swore my cousin Jennifer would NEVER be called Jen, because she didn't like the name "Jen"...It's literally what everyone calls her.

I have a tendency to like old/unusual names like Sebastian...which makes everyone look at me like I'm crazy. I've already decided if FI and I decide to have a kid in the future, we're not sharing name options!
  • abcdevonn said:
    I don't mind any of those names. Stanley is not my favorite name, but it doesn't make me cringe! Just be sure you don't mind his nickname becoming Stan. My aunt always swore my cousin Jennifer would NEVER be called Jen, because she didn't like the name "Jen"...It's literally what everyone calls her.

I have a tendency to like old/unusual names like Sebastian...which makes everyone look at me like I'm crazy. I've already decided if FI and I decide to have a kid in the future, we're not sharing name options!
    I thought I was the only one who liked Sebastian! I've loved that name for years! :-)
  • I dread having a boy as my first child because my H and I have agreed that Jack would be his first name {family name} I SWEAR TO GOD EVERYONE HAS A JACK, JACKSON OR JAX THAT I KNOW FFS!
    He'll have a long name, so maybe he'll opt for a middle name? {Full name plan is Jack Michael Carson}

If it's a girl, it's Jaclyn Harper. Second boy Ryder Matthew. I have always been in love with Ryder. Maybe a "Boy Meets World" thing ;)
  • @kmmssg does francheon rhyme with luncheon? Or how do you pronounce it? Either way, cool name

WHEREINTHEHELLARETHEBOXES!!!!

It is pronounced Fan-chun, accent on first syllable.  You are truly the only person I have heard say it was a cool name.  thanks!  I have a granddaughter who is named for almost all of her great grandparents.  DD used my maiden name as a second middle name to cover my parents.

• jenna8984 said:
    abcdevonn said:
    I don't mind any of those names. Stanley is not my favorite name, but it doesn't make me cringe! Just be sure you don't mind his nickname becoming Stan. My aunt always swore my cousin Jennifer would NEVER be called Jen, because she didn't like the name "Jen"...It's literally what everyone calls her.

I thought I was the only one who liked Sebastian! I've loved that name for years! :-)

I (and prob everyone my age) loves it from Cruel Intentions lol
    Ummm Sebastian Bach?! Best hair of the 80s!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • jenna8984 said:
    abcdevonn said:

I (and prob everyone my age) loves it from Cruel Intentions lol
    Um. YESSS.
  • I dread having a boy as my first child because my H and I have agreed that Jack would be his first name {family name} I SWEAR TO GOD EVERYONE HAS A JACK, JACKSON OR JAX THAT I KNOW FFS!
    He'll have a long name, so maybe he'll opt for a middle name? {Full name plan is Jack Michael Carson}

If it's a girl, it's Jaclyn Harper. Second boy Ryder Matthew. I have always been in love with Ryder. Maybe a "Boy Meets World" thing ;)

That was my planned name when I was in high school!!  Def a BMW thing! haha 

I like the name Matthew but it doesn't go with DH's last name.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• +1 on Beau being a dog name. We are currently adopting contemplating adopting dog baby 2 and naming him Beau to go with our Vivianne. To be fair, Vivianne is not a normal dog name and a friend of a friend named her baby that recently. 

We also contemplated Adelaide instead of Vivi until FI's brother announced his daughter was named Adalynn about the same time. That was a no go. 

Just please for the love of God do not name your child Felany.
  • +1 on Beau being a dog name. We are currently adopting contemplating adopting dog baby 2 and naming him Beau to go with our Vivianne. To be fair, Vivianne is not a normal dog name and a friend of a friend named her baby that recently. 

We also contemplated Adelaide instead of Vivi until FI's brother announced his daughter was named Adalynn about the same time. That was a no go. 

Just please for the love of God do not name your child Felany.
    I love love love the name Adelaide for a girl.  Not sure if FI would ever go for it though.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Funny how you get certain biases about names from people you know with them.

I've been acquainted with 3 Beaus in my life and they were all arrogant, pretentious twerps. I don't know any dogs named Beau. I also don't know any humans named Stanley. I had a massive unreciprocated crush in HS on a boy named Dean. And um... Supernatural!!! So basically any baby named Dean will grow up to be hot, hot, hot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards