Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bridesmaid duties... Just going to leave this here

I came across this reading through a local bridal magazine. Thought y'all may get a kick out of it.

Re: Bridesmaid duties... Just going to leave this here

• Ugh...I don't even want my BM doing all that for me. I want her having a good time at the party!
  • I totally meant to post this in Chit Chat...
    But I agree. A lot of this is complete nonsense!
  • I totally meant to post this in Chit Chat... But I agree. A lot of this is complete nonsense!

Perhaps it does make sense to post on this board.  These bridesmaid urban legends need to be dispelled.  They are neither customs or traditions.  Duties of a BM are fictitious folklore that need to be stopped.
  • lol...that was a good read.
  • I feel like my girls would do the first two and the last one because that's what we do in real life. Substitute "bride" or "wedding" with anything else and that's the basis of friendship.  And clearly they'll keep the party going becuase we're fun!

But the rest of it sounds like they're the Queen's ladies in waiting!  Totes cray cray ridic!
  • I agree with the helping out part - especially emotional part - but I really don't understand why wedding party is expected to help pay the wedding part!
  • I agree with the helping out part - especially emotional part - but I really don't understand why wedding party is expected to help pay the wedding part!
    Exactly.  It's kind of fucked up to be told "I give you the honor to be my bitch between now and my wedding.  I also giving you the honor to pony up some cash."   

That is one honor I could do without.

for the record I always help when and where I can.   I've been on OOT BM many times so I'm not always available during the wedding process.  I've not attended some showers.   I've always been there for the bride a few days before and of course the wedding day.    Some of them have been married for 20+ years and I'm still friends with them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've definitely done many of these as a bridesmaid/MOH. I'm happy to plan a shower/bachelorette, go shopping for dresses, etc.  But none of these are required. Helping the bride get her dress on and keep her calm, in my opinion is probably the one that was most important (of these). I didn't need anyone to keep me calm, but I absolutely needed help into my dress. I had to give my sister a pep talk right before she went down the aisle because she was so nervous.

On the other hand, some of them are ridiculous. You do not want me to do any DIY projects. I'm not good at that type of thing. I didn't do any for my own wedding, I"m certainly not doing it for yours. 

And getting food and drinks to the bride is not my job, especially at the reception. 

I'll gladly mingle and keep the party going, though!

• I don't get this whole answers calls and texts all day thing. I see that pop up on these lists every so often, and I certainly don't want anyone else messing with my phone.
  • I don't get this whole answers calls and texts all day thing. I see that pop up on these lists every so often, and I certainly don't want anyone else messing with my phone.

Thank you, @lovesclimbing.  Isn't that what a personal assistant does?  and even then, probably not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards