Chit Chat

Dress Fitting Blues

So I had my 2nd (and basically final) dress fitting last night. I'm not gonna lie, I am a little disappointed. I absolutely love my dress, but when the alterations lady went to help me zip it, it barely zipped. And the hook-and-eye closure at the top of the zipper popped off because it was too tight.

I'm sure everything will be fine on the day of, but I only have 2 and a half weeks. So the next time I try that sucker on it had better fit!

Anybody else leave your dress fitting just feeling kind of meh about it?

Re: Dress Fitting Blues

• Yep, my dress was too tight too. First I had the boning removed because they said that would give me more room but it didn't, so then I had it taken out but it was only possible to take it out about an inch. I was really stressed and sad when I left my final fitting. 

On the day of, though, it fit. I don't know why because I hadn't lost weight. I mean it was still snug but it zipped and it was fine. 

Just avoid eating anything salty in the days leading up to your wedding so you don't bloat. And maybe try your dress on a couple more times just to give it a chance to loosen up a little. 
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Me.  I'm a little nervous about it.  Everything zipped up OK but then I saw some pictures my mom took (albeit not the best pictures as she just randomly took them without telling me), and the back looked like it was pulling a bit.  It also felt a lot tighter than I remember it being at the first fitting, even though she didn't take it in at all, and I didn't think I had gained any weight.  The only thing I could think of was that the girl who helped me into my dress, who was just a front desk person, did the inside "band" (it's sort of like a wide elastic bra band) too tight.  I felt a bit rushed during the last fitting because I was the last appointment of the evening and they were running late.

Now that we're in the home stretch, I'm hoping that once I pick it up next week I can try it on at home w/ just my mom and really get a feel for what it's going to look like.  I've also never seen it with my shoes, because I originally was going to wear my boots, but after looking at the pics my mom took, the boots looked bad.   

I'm also going to make a point of not eating a lot of salt or drink any alcohol next week, and try to get a lot of fiber intake through fruits and veggies so I'm not retaining any water and will be ummm "cleaned out" well enough.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I had my one and only fitting 3 months out.  My dress was in the states at my sisters.    I never once worried because I had a corest back.  :p

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • No because I didn't try to "size" down.  I got the dress that fit me instead of banking on loosing weight.  I've been working out consistently and I've dropped some pounds but not so much so that I needed crazy alterations.

All they're doing to mine is hemming it and doing s/t to the straps to help pull up my bewbs a bit.

Good luck.
  • No because I didn't try to "size" down.  I got the dress that fit me instead of banking on loosing weight.  I've been working out consistently and I've dropped some pounds but not so much so that I needed crazy alterations.

All they're doing to mine is hemming it and doing s/t to the straps to help pull up my bewbs a bit.

Good luck.
    I didn't try to size down either. That's what had me disappointed. She measured me and we ordered according to my size. I guess I put on some weight without realizing it or was bloated. Either way, it's going to have to fit in 2 1/2 weeks!

Good luck.
    I didn't try to size down either. That's what had me disappointed. She measured me and we ordered according to my size. I guess I put on some weight without realizing it or was bloated. Either way, it's going to have to fit in 2 1/2 weeks!
    :-(

Good luck.
    Same here. I'm a size 2 so it's not like I want to lose weight. They measured me, ordered my size, and it was too tight. 
  • I think mine took mine in a little tighter than it should have been because on my final one I was like oh my and my mom didn't think it was going to zip although I don't think it was that bad.  It was fine at the wedding and zipped without a problem although I see some back fat in pix that I didn't think should have been there and kind of wish I'd had the woman alter it a bit. She said it had to be tighter so I could go without a bra (brought in at the waist I guess?) so I just went with it.
  • My dress was also very tight at my last fitting. It had to be taken in (a lot!) and they just made it REALLY form-fitting. I was uncomfortable mainly because I'm not used to wearing something that fits like a glove, with no wiggle-room. But honestly I felt fine once I had been wearing it for 30 min or so.

And to @kvruns point - I'm glad that my dress was tight because it also let me go bra-less with sewn-in cups. No way in hell my D-sized girls would have stayed up there if the tailor had left any wiggle/bounce room!
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    No because I didn't try to "size" down.  I got the dress that fit me instead of banking on loosing weight.  I've been working out consistently and I've dropped some pounds but not so much so that I needed crazy alterations.

Good luck.
    I didn't size down either.  The sample was a 10, and while it zipped it was tight tight tight, and I'm sure it was stretched out too since it was a sample.  Based on my measurements, we ordered a 14.  I wear street 12.  
    Married 9.12.15

Good luck.
    I didn't size down either.  The sample was a 10, and while it zipped it was tight tight tight, and I'm sure it was stretched out too since it was a sample.  Based on my measurements, we ordered a 14.  I wear street 12.  

FTR, I'm not assuming anyone did or didn't.  Just saying I didn't.  I have no idea why size is in quotes either in my first post.  I don't remember doing that, but I must have.
  • Thank goodness some of you guys have felt the same way. I was really starting to think there was something wrong with me when I left my fitting feeling down and out. I guess that's the problem with watching Say Yes To The Dress!!! On shows like that, it looks like everyone has this perfect, fairy tale experience. But that isn't the case! I'm going to majorly cut out on carbs wine so hopefully it fits perfectly. Thank you all for the encouraging stories!!

• My size fit my perfectly when it came in, I didn't even need a hem! At my next fitting though, I guess it was about 1 month out, I was worried bc it felt a lot tighter and I felt like I could hardly breathe.
    The next time I went in I skipped the shaper underwear things (which I also didn't wear at my first appointment) and it felt good again! Are there any under layers you could lose, op?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I bet that dress is a strapless one!  Strapless dresses have to be very tight or they won't stay up.  Pain for beauty.
    My daughter refused to wear a strapless gown, and in 2010, some shops had nothing else to offer!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • luckya23 said:
    My size fit my perfectly when it came in, I didn't even need a hem! At my next fitting though, I guess it was about 1 month out, I was worried bc it felt a lot tighter and I felt like I could hardly breathe. The next time I went in I skipped the shaper underwear things (which I also didn't wear at my first appointment) and it felt good again! Are there any under layers you could lose, op?
    Thankfully I don't need to have mine hemmed!! It is the perfect length. Unfortunately I don't have any under layers I can do away with :( I'm not wearing a bra (sorry if that's TMI) or any shapewear.

@CMGragain it isn't strapless. It's lace and is supposed to be fitted, but this is a little too fitted for my taste! Lol!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards