Attire & Accessories Forum

Hollow to Hem

Hello Everyone! 
I just found my dress (primadona by Pronovias) and am trying to determine what length to order. I am 5'3'' and was thinking about ordering my dress hollow to hem as the bottom of the dress is very ornate. I am concerned about how it will look once it is altered, as well as the astronomical price I was quoted for hemming. At one salon they told me that meant all proportions on the dress would be shorter, and that it probably wouldn't look right once I got it in. Another salon told me only the skirt would be shorter and the rest of the dress would look the same. Can anyone clarify this? I don't want the rest of the dress to change, just the skirt to be shorter! 

Re: Hollow to Hem

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015

The hollow to hem measurement is one of the measurements taken when determing wedding dress sizing, and measures the length of the body, starting at the hollow of the neck (the indentation between the collar bones, located at the base of the neck), down to the hem of the dress. The hollow to hem measurement can be thought of as the overall length of the dress, excluding the train, and high neckline, if applicable.

In the picture below, the "Standard Overall Length" shows the area measured for a standard hollow to hem measurement::
    "Standard Overall Length" = Hollow to Hem Measurement

Don't forget to wear your shoes when being measured!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you are worried about the dress changing, try contacting the manufacturer directly.  They may be able to describe in much better detail how the dress could change. 

The dress will usually be made to be proportional to your body, so some features might end up a little smaller, but still proportional in size to your measurements.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards