Wedding Etiquette Forum

timing on tipping

I know you don't tip the owners of companies.  But now I am wondering when you tip people? Particularly the photographer and videographer.  I wasn't sure if its a good idea to tip at the end of the night or after we get our proofs?  My thought is if I tip before maybe they will put the extra effort in.. or if they don't turn out as great as I want then we would already had tipped? Not sure if this makes sense...

Re: timing on tipping

• Photographers don't normally expect a tip but if you did this would be when you received the finished product. We might add on an extra £100-£200 once we see the prints and assuming they don't take months to finish! I'm sure any professional photographer will want your pictures to be the best they can be regardless of a tip so I don't think that will make any difference to be honest.

We are bringing thank you cards and cash for the staff on the night like chefs waiters and bar tenders and will decide how much to put in them dependent on service received. We will do this towards the end of the function but not at the very end as that should cheer them up for the last bit and also we don't want to miss anyone!
  • We planned to tip our photographer when we received the proofs.  As that took 13 months, he did not receive a tip.  We tipped our planner, band, bar tenders, videographer, and ceremony musician the day of.  The best man had all the thank you cards/tips to distribute at the end of the night.
  • I'm trying to wait until after I've completed services with vendors to decide on tips.

If I stick $50 in an envelope for a server and the guy is outside smoking half the time, I don't think he deserves $50- but I can't change that (unless I want to deal with all that BS personally, immediately following the reception) if the amount has been predetermined.

A tip is a "bonus" not a service charge in my opinion.

• I'm trying to wait until after I've completed services with vendors to decide on tips.

If I stick $50 in an envelope for a server and the guy is outside smoking half the time, I don't think he deserves $50- but I can't change that (unless I want to deal with all that BS personally, immediately following the reception) if the amount has been predetermined.

A tip is a "bonus" not a service charge in my opinion.

I agree.  I really don't appreciate it when vendors try to decide for me what an appropriate "gratuity" is.  If they want to charge me extra, then they should bill that charge as such and not assume they are entitled to a bonus from me if they only did average or poor quality work.
  • At the completion of services! Definitely!

We tipped our DJ at the end of the night, when he was tearing his stuff down. We tipped the women who made our cupcakes when we returned the serving tray to her. 

Our photographer was very good initially and mostly good the day of. We could have tipped her then (as in, we would have been happy to). We had a signed contract stating we would receive a link to an photo gallery and a USB will all edited photos within 12 weeks of our wedding. We didn't received our photos until 7 months later- AFTER sending her a registered letter threatening legal action. Even then, there were some photos from the second photographer that were missing and that took us another 2-3 months to get. We paid her in full, just so we would be safe should it ever go to court, but she could have fallen of the face of the earth on us and we never would have seen our photos.

Thus- do not tip until all services have been completed and you are happy with said services! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards