Not Engaged Yet

Wishful Wednesday

Morning ladies!  H and I woke up a little early today so I'm a touch bit tired.  Yesterday I did spin class and it was so good...seriously everyone in the class had such great energy and the instructor was hilarious.  I'm thinking of spinning this afternoon but we will see what the day holds.  Between that and work, think my day will be full.  What are you up to today?

Questions for the day are centered around retirement because its Wednesday and that makes me sad:

Would $1,000,000 be enough for you to retire on if your house and car were paid off?

Where would your dream location be to retire?

Would you still work (albeit with less stressful)? Volunteer?  

When do you think you will be able to retire?

What are you wishing for today for yourself?  For someone else?

Re: Wishful Wednesday

• @minskat30 I used to do spin in college and I loved it! It was such a great workout! 

It's super gloomy outside today and rainy. I'll probably focus on cleaning our kitchen and bathrooms today since those have needed some attention for some time lol. 

So since DH and I decided to go with a home day care for Callie instead of a regular school, I had to call the day care we pre registered with this morning to let them know that we won't be using them anymore. The lady on the phone said the school director will give me a call later today to discuss everything. I'm curious as to why they need to discuss things further...we didn't sign any papers agreeing to any contract....we just submitted a pre-registration form and a fee. We shall see....

Would $1,000,000 be enough for you to retire on if your house and car were paid off?
    I would think so...DH and I always talk about what we would do if we won the lottery or a million dollars and we both think it would be enough.

Probably here in Georgia or in South Carolina on DH's family farm.

I don't think I would continue working...I would probably volunteer.

DH and I both plan to retire at 50.

Today I'm wishing I get stuff done lol.
  • minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    @southernpeach89 - I'd be side-eyeing the daycare too.  Maybe they just want to get a better sense of why they are loosing a potential customer to improve?  I hope that is all they try to do.  Spin is really addictive once you get into it isn't it?

@cocobellaf - Ugh, I'm sorry your AF is starting...hugs.  

@jenjen047 - I was so sore for the first few weeks of doing spin 2-3 times a week.  I didn't believe people who said the soreness will go away but, promise...it does.  Way to go on the workouts!!!
  • Last night was good. Met my friend at the gym and then came home to dinner (courtesy of DH). Then we worked on raising one of our chandelier/light fixtures (I swear, every fixture in the house is hung so low that it's like elves lived there before us --- and I'm only 5'3"!). Tonight we have one more light to work on. I've also got bbq pork for sliders in the crockpot right now with onions, bbq sauce, and a can of Dr. Pepper in there. I wish I was home to savor the smell!

Would $1,000,000 be enough for you to retire on if your house and car were paid off? Yes, in fact I think that's DH's goal to reach before we retire. Although I DO like to shop and don't see that changing when I retire, SO......

Where would your dream location be to retire? I'd probably keep my home here and focus on traveling. There are so many places in the world I'd love to see that I don't want to just limit myself to one place.

Would you still work (albeit with less stressful)? Volunteer? Probably so, or take up a time-consuming hobby. Besides, that keeps your mind sharp! My grandma is 98 years old and still sews!

When do you think you will be able to retire? 65 I hope. Need to start up-ing my retirement contributions...

What are you wishing for today for yourself?  For someone else? Honestly? I wish my stomach cramps would go away and that my pants would feel looser, LOL. For my friend who's doggie just had leg surgery, I hope he heals soon!

@minskat30 - Are your spin classes themed? Like, is there a different type of music each time? I've always been curious about how spin works since I've never tried it.
    @southernpeach89 - It's gloomy here too, but I hope it rains. We really need it!
    @CocoBellaF - Do you like iced coffee? I've been buying different flavors of International Delight at the grocery store and it's pretty good!
    @jenjen047 - Good luck! I remember that happening to me when I interviewed for my current job here at the university. I had to walk all across campus because I had no idea where to go and got so sweaty, ick!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @beachyone15 - I do love iced coffee!  I don't like it sweetened though, so I normally brew it myself or get it Americano style and add a TBSP of milk.
  • @minskat30 That's what I'm thinking...ugh I just don't want to be pestered lol. Spin is addicting!!! We used to go 2-3 times a week when a certain instructor would be teaching the class because he was seriously amazing! We were all obsessed with him haha.
  • @beachyone15 - The classes aren't themed per se but each instructor has a different style.  So one is totally 80s music, another hard rock, another top 40s, etc.  Some do visualization with you (i.e., if you are climbing a hill...who is waiting at the top, if you are on a sprint...who are you passing, etc.) some just yell and laugh a lot.  I'm never bored and I've been at it now for nine months or so (though intensely at it for about 4 of those).  One of the instructors is trying out for the Olympics so, yeah, his class is probably the hardest...lol. I just love that not everyone in the class is super skinny.  
  • untouchabletsuntouchablets member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I wanna say yes? But I definitely want horses and to still DO things when I'm retired so maybe not.

On a farm somewhere where it doesn't snow.

Yeah, I never want to stop working. I hate not being busy, and if all goes well and I AM dog training into old age, I would be very happy to work past retirement.

NO idea lol

I'm wishing my coworkers would leave me alone for like to freaking seconds! Every day I wake up to a text from them. I don't work till 2, can't they just let me LIVE?! And I wish it would be spring because puppy. And I wish that my friend gets her new business up and running quickly so I can quit my job and work for her instead.
  • edited September 2015
    Posting then I'll go back to read everyone else's

Yesterday I came home, turned on the AC in the living room and told myself I'd work out after like a half hour so it would be a little cooler in there. Well then I ended up playing on my phone for about 45 mins and when I was contemplating working out I got really nauseated. I know it's the salad I had for lunch- the dressing used to make me feel sick for some reason and then the past couple times i had it I was fine so I had it yesterday. I felt awful and took a 2 hour nap and then I was up for hours last night just feeling crappy. My stomach still doesn't feel quite right today. After work I'm going to get my hair colored and then will attempt my Blogilates workout. 

Would $1,000,000 be enough for you to retire on if your house and car were paid off? Depending on what age I retire, maybe? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to retirement stuff.

Where would your dream location be to retire? The Caribbean

Would you still work (albeit with less stressful)? Volunteer?  Maybe volunteer 

When do you think you will be able to retire? NEVER

What are you wishing for today for yourself?  For someone else? Wishing that I have the motivation to workout when I get home and not be a lazy bum. Wishing peace for @peaseblossom55

EDITED BECAUSE I CAN'T TYPE AT ALL TODAY!

• Urg, such a crap mood today. Last night I had a dentist appointment. I figured "hey a few fillings, I'll be fine."
    One tooth in particular I could feel was on the edge of hurting so I requested that get filled.

LOW AND BEHOLD that tooth may need a damn root canal! They have a temp filling to see if it will strengthen up and not need it. I won't know until May for sure if it does because they leave temp filling for 9 months.
    Needless to say, that side of my jaw hurts today.

I'd like to say yes, but I'm not sure. We're probably invest it and live off the residual.

Really not sure. Maybe out west, like Vancouver where the weather isn't even half as cold as where we are!

Honestly? Probably. I enjoy my job.

The way the market is, never. Lol

Today for myself I am wishing my allergies would stop and my jaw would stop hurting.
    For others, I'm hoping for a good day.
  • Would $1,000,000 be enough for you to retire on if your house and car were paid off? if I had no debt, I think I would be able to, but according to the retirement calculator with my 401k, no. The issue is most people live well beyond the age of retirement, so $1,000,000 would last maybe 10 years. 

Where would your dream location be to retire? On a beach, in a tropical climate.  

Would you still work (albeit with less stressful)? Volunteer?  I don't know if I'd work, but I would do something to stay active.  My bf's grandparents are in their 90s and are the most active people I have ever met.  They golf all summer (18 holes, and up to about 4 years ago would walk the entire course). In the winter they competitive ski. I would be happy to be half as active as they are. 

When do you think you will be able to retire?  Probably not until mid 70s, and that's if I'm ever able to pay off my student loans and actually be able to save.  

What are you wishing for today for yourself?  For someone else? I'm wishing my dentist appointment goes quickly so I do not have to rush to meet my mom and sisters for our pedicure appointment.  I'm also wishing that my sister is able to find a job that makes her happy soon.  Also, that @peaseblossom55 is able to pass her exams so she can relax and focus on her "me" time.
  • @lavenderfields13 - Pics of your hair! I hope you're feeling better. 

@MissKittyDanger - I've had 2 root canals (1 was on a front tooth) and they're not bad at all. Fillings are worse, IME. 

@cu97tiger - I'm so jealous of your half day! 

• Swazzle said:
    @minskat30 - I've never done spin but I've always wanted to. To be honest, it kind of scares me lol 

@southernpeach89 - Are you feeling any better about things today?

@jenjen047 - Good luck at your interview! Fingers crossed for you :)

@beachyone15 - Your dinner sounds incredible. 

As far as retirement goes, H and I both contribute to our 401ks (his company matches, luckily) and that's about all I ever think about it.

Last night, I got home and made dinner (Blue Apron Salmon Burgers and aioli with corn, arugula, and oregano) then lounged on the couch with H for about a half hour and then went to bed. 

H forgot to wake me up before he left for work this morning so I didn't work out which means when I get home from work, he'll be in charge of dinner so I can some activity in. He won't have much to do because we're having crock pot salsa verde chicken tacos and basically everything is done already. 

We're talking about extending our visit to the DC-area the weekend of @beanbot2002 's wedding and doing a little site-seeing which makes me happy because I love traveling. I discovered that I have 9 vacation days left for the year and they're burning a hole in my pocket. 

SITB  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    omg And we're not going anywhere, just hanging out at home, does this mean I get to take you to see things???????????????? I will piss myself with excitement.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Swazzle said:
    @lavenderfields13 - Pics of your hair! I hope you're feeling better. 

@MissKittyDanger - I've had 2 root canals (1 was on a front tooth) and they're not bad at all. Fillings are worse, IME. 

@cu97tiger - I'm so jealous of your half day! 
    Really? I've never had a root canal and I've heard they're awful :( 
  • @Swazzle Yes I think so. I think I just got really scared yesterday when the doctor started throwing around being induced and I went home and talked to DH about it and we both agreed that we aren't going to schedule any sort of induction unless it's completely necessary.

I also think I'm super hormonal right now and the fact that I didn't receive any sort of motivation yesterday that we are moving in a direction towards having this baby made me sad. I just have to keep telling myself that I won't be pregnant forever and that she will come one way or another lol.
  • @cu97tiger - Honestly, I think 50 (for me) would be a long shot even for retirement.  H has a lot of plans and we are implementing them but I feel like retirement is so far away.  

@swazzle - No need to be scared of spin...it really is fun.  I think the thing I like is its your ride...you don't have to add gear or add speed if you aren't feeling it.  I just love working out with good music and with other people who inspire me to at least try a *teensy* bit harder.

@TwoDimes - No thank you for retiring at Disney.  I love kids and I love Disney but over-heated, over-stimulated and over-budget people are not my idea of fun.  I hope you get some sleep soon.
  • @minskat30, glad you had fun at spin!

@southernpeach89, I have no clue what the school would want to talk with you about. Maybe refunding your fee?

@cocobellaf, work coffee does suck. Badly.

@jenjen047, good luck at your interview!

@beachyone15, mmm bbq pork. I wish I was there to savor that smell!

@lavenderfields13, feel better!

@swazzle, crock pot chicken tacos are the best damn things on the planet. You totally should site-see in DC - if you have time, hit up a Smithsonian or two.
    ---
    Would $1,000,000 be enough for you to retire on if your house and car were paid off? Maybe, but I wouldn't feel comfortable chancing it. I want to put as much aside as I possibly can, and I don't see H or I really ever retiring - we're not good at free time.

Where would your dream location be to retire? At this point, probably where we are, but with a service to move our snow please and thank you.

Would you still work (albeit with less stressful)? Volunteer? See above. H and I will probably always work.

When do you think you will be able to retire? Definitely not before 65.

What are you wishing for today for yourself?  For someone else? For myself, some damn peace. For H, that he gets his wedding ring back. He dropped it in the car yesterday and the car hasn't given it back yet. It is probably under his seat. He might have to take the seat out. I actually feel bad for him - he's pretty torn up about it ("I thought I'd get more than 4 months before I lost it!").
  • @KeptInStitches - Oh no!!!  I hope he finds it.  H lost his ring once.  It ended up in his sock drawer of all places.  Dig, dig, dig.  
  • jenjen047jenjen047 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    @speakeasy14 - WOW I'm so impressed about BFs grandparents skiing in their 90s!

ETA: @keptinstitches - fingers crossed H finds his ring and doesn't have to dismantle the car too much!!
  • @minskat30 - I've never tried spin (I actually can't even ride a bicycle), but so many people I know love it.  Maybe one of these days when I join a gym again.

@CocoBellaF - BOOOOOOO TOTM.  I'm sorry you feel icky.  :-(

@southernpeach89 - Hugs for you and more good vibes for Callie.

@cu97tiger - I'm working on handstands in yoga too.  I'm nowhere near close to doing one, but it's my goal!

I hope everyone's having a good day!  Wednesdays are my long days--I teach 3 classes with office hours in between.  For the first part of my class I'm giving an exam though (hence me being on TK).  Hopefully I can get a run in tonight after class so I can keep my streak going (did hot yoga yesterday and it was awesome).

I doubt it.  Like @TwoDimes, I want to travel and be epic during my retirement.  Which will probably be expensive.

My BFF and I talk all the time about getting a house somewhere in the South and sitting on the porch with our wine and being snarky (basically we want to be the Golden Girls).

Yes.  I love what I do, so I'd probably keep teaching part-time if they'd let me.  And I have a not-so-secret desire to be one of those awesome old church ladies that is super involved in everything.

Um...never?  Seriously, I just started saving for retirement with my last paycheck (since until now I was still in school), and I have seriously massive student loan debt.  It's not even on my radar right now.  My brain can't even register the fact that some day I will retire.

Wishing that BF will get one of these jobs in Savannah (I guess that's for me and him).  And wishing my BFF good divorce vibes...she's able to officially file this week, after being separated for 6 months from her emotionally abusive jerk of a soon-to-be-ex-husband.  She told me last night it's like a huge weight lifted off her shoulders.
  • @Keptinstitches Hahaha that would be nice! If they did that, I would be like...and thank you very much!
  • @beanbot2002 - EEEEEEEEEEEE! I just put in for Monday and Tuesday off (I'm already off for Veterans Day on Wednesday but H isn't so we have to come home at some point on Tuesday).

@southernpeach89 - I'm obviously not even sort of an expert on the subject but I feel like your doc jumped the gun a bit. I think Callie is just trying to get to watermelon status! 

@KeptInStitches - H and I have never been there together! We both went for school trips way back when and I went there with @beanbot2002 and @cu97tiger and other NEYers a couple years ago. I'm excited to do touristy stuff with him there too :)

• OK, glad I'm not the only one that won't be able to retire at 50 or anywhere close to that. I feel like we have barely any money in our plans. H could retire at like 45 or 50- something like that- with his job but I told him that is so completely unrealistic- especially if we have kids. 
    He doesn't want to work there forever since people with his job have an average life of expectancy of only 59 and divorce rates are much higher. That's nice, huh. 

• @Swazzle I agree! DH said the same thing last night too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards