Wedding Etiquette Forum

Would you side eye this?

I am working on our website since Save the Dates have (finally) been ordered. In the accomadations section I am listing Airbnb in addition to the hotels we have blocked becauE hotel prices are high due to Daytona Bike Week. The question is whether or not it is acceptable to list my Airbnb reference code. I want to do it because the person booking gets a $25 credit if they are new...but I don't want people to think I am doing it so I get a credit. Am I overthinking this or do I just leave that part out?

Re: Would you side eye this?

• spockforprezspockforprez member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    The person gets a $25 credit toward their booking - that's a plus in my book if I'm a guest. But I see where you're coming from, because there is potentially a large bonus for you if several people use your code, which can come off as tacky I guess.

I say the courtesy of the extra credit toward that person's cost outweighs the potential for side-eye. Go for it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • justjesss said:

I am working on our website since Save the Dates have (finally) been ordered. In the accomadations section I am listing Airbnb in addition to the hotels we have blocked becauE hotel prices are high due to Daytona Bike Week. The question is whether or not it is acceptable to list my Airbnb reference code. I want to do it because the person booking gets a $25 credit if they are new...but I don't want people to think I am doing it so I get a credit. Am I overthinking this or do I just leave that part out?

Do you get a credit? If you do, I'd expect some side eye and leave it off. If you don't, just state that the code gives new users the $25 credit.

Honestly, I would not expect people who have never used airbnb try it out for a wedding.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• justjesss said:

Do you get a credit? If you do, I'd expect some side eye and leave it off. If you don't, just state that the code gives new users the $25 credit.

Honestly, I would not expect people who have never used airbnb try it out for a wedding.
    I partially agree with this.

I concur that people unfamiliar with Airbnb probably won't use it for a wedding.

If you personally don't get a credit if your guests use your code, then I'd be fine with with you putting the Airbnb information in your website.

But if you do get a credit, then people may well see that as you exploiting your code for your personal benefit. Whether you want to take that risk is up to you, but if you really want to avoid the appearance of benefitting from the use of the code, you should leave it out.

If you do include it, then I'd advise full disclosure of any credits or other benefits you would receive from their using your code. Otherwise, that could generate even stronger negative reactions than your simply including it and recommending its use.
  • I am working on our website since Save the Dates have (finally) been ordered. In the accomadations section I am listing Airbnb in addition to the hotels we have blocked becauE hotel prices are high due to Daytona Bike Week. The question is whether or not it is acceptable to list my Airbnb reference code. I want to do it because the person booking gets a $25 credit if they are new...but I don't want people to think I am doing it so I get a credit. Am I overthinking this or do I just leave that part out?
    Do you get a credit? If you do, I'd expect some side eye and leave it off. If you don't, just state that the code gives new users the $25 credit. Honestly, I would not expect people who have never used airbnb try it out for a wedding.
    This.  I have always been wary of airbnb.  I just don't have the trust factor when it comes to using someone else's home having no idea who that person may be and if they may surprise me by coming home early.

But if you do not get anything out of people using the code then just do as photokitty said and just state that the code will give new users a $25 credit.

• If you're supplying me with a code that will get me a discount, I'm all for it. 

I used Airbnb for my HM for the first time. I loved it. I know many people that use it. I don't see how it's any different than VRBO or Flip Key. Also, I had 3 groups of friends use Airbnb to rent houses for my wedding weekend. No one had any issues. 
  • I love Airbnb! I would totally do it if you live in a city that supports it. There are like maybe 5 in my city and they aren't great options so it wouldn't work for me, but if you live somewhere like NYC, Chicago, LA, NOLA, Austin, etc. where they have a ton of options I think go for it! I think the fact that it's mutually beneficial outweighs the concern of it looking like you are out for cash. Plus if they are coming to your wedding, they probably like you... so I would think they would be ok with you also getting a credit as well as them. 
  • I think it's totally fine. What I have seen that is helpful is specifying a couple neighborhoods that would be good ones to search for Air BnB listings in, but I have no idea if that would be helpful for Daytona.
  • Personally, I wouldn't care if you got a credit. If we are close enough that you're inviting me to your wedding, I'd be happy to get $25 off myself while giving you a credit! It just sounds like a win-win to me. 
  • I would say go for it, as a guest I'm going to be happy to get the $25 off and not read a whole lot into the fact that you may get something out of it. I would rather save $25 and help you out then pay more! I would do like others have said and just explain it a bit for people who haven't used it before, we did put a link to some VRBO cabins on our site and a lot of our guests have booked them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    I do not think it's much different then the couple who makes a room block and then gets a free upgrade if they fill or go over the block.    

This.

I wouldn't side eye it, but I personally wouldn't use AirBnB.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    MandyMost said:
    I'd just be sure to explain it a bit. "We've blocked rooms at XXXX and XXXX hotels, who are providing a special wedding rate--just be sure to book under our room block! As the city will be busier than usual that weekend due to Daytona Bike Week, we suggest you book early. We did our best with the hotel block prices, but you may  be able to find other options on discount sites or AirBnB (and if you use AirBnB, feel free to use my referral code XXXXXX to get us both a future discount!).

I like this, just so you aren't being shady about anything. I think it's totally fine to post it, but make sure people know they're giving you a discount too. I don't see it as a negative AT ALL, but someone might feel slighted if you tried to keep it a secret. But overall, $25 is $25!
  • The thought of being offended that you might get a credit if I used a code wouldn't even occur to me, especially if I get a discount too for using said code.  So no, I wouldn't side eye it at all and wouldn't even care if it was mentioned. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • lyndausvi said:
    I do not think it's much different then the couple who makes a room block and then gets a free upgrade if they fill or go over the block.    

This.

I wouldn't side eye it, but I personally wouldn't use AirBnB.
    Airbnb have a lot of different options.  Some are literally sofas in the middle of someone's living room.  Other's are rooms in a house someone is living in.  Others are private apartments/houses.  Our guest house rents through AirBnb (not often) and it's a regular hotel room.

The first 2 I mentioned would be a "hell no" too me.  I'm not into renting shared space.  If it's completely a private (no shared spaces) then I would be okay.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks all! Probably going for the "full disclosure I get credit too" route! We are getting married near Cocoa Beach so there are quite a few beach houses available (a lot of which are not private residences and are primarily used as a vacation rental). A little further drive than the hotels but great for those staying a bit longer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards