Wedding Etiquette Forum

Save the Date - Photo of us from another wedding?

I'm getting ready to put together some cheap save the dates, and I'm trying to decide on a photo to use. The photo I would really like to use is of FI and I at a very good friend's wedding. There are no other people in the background, as it is on a balcony overlooking their venue. You can somewhat see their ceremony site in the bottom corner being broken down, which is where my hesitation comes in - would you think it was weird if you were that friend who received a STD with a photo clearly taken at YOUR wedding? Or am I completely over thinking this? 

My entire group of friends was also at this wedding, so I would think others might notice too - is this rude? Or am I being insane? Haha ... 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.

Re: Save the Date - Photo of us from another wedding?

• Over thinking.

I probably wouldn't even notice the ceremony area in the background.  And if I did I wouldn't care because I would figure that you picked the photo because you liked it.

• cj3561 said:
    I'm getting ready to put together some cheap save the dates, and I'm trying to decide on a photo to use. The photo I would really like to use is of FI and I at a very good friend's wedding. There are no other people in the background, as it is on a balcony overlooking their venue. You can somewhat see their ceremony site in the bottom corner being broken down, which is where my hesitation comes in - would you think it was weird if you were that friend who received a STD with a photo clearly taken at YOUR wedding? Or am I completely over thinking this? 

My entire group of friends was also at this wedding, so I would think others might notice too - is this rude? Or am I being insane? Haha ... 

BOX BOX BOX

The easiest thing to do is just ask the happy couple if they mind if you use a picture from their wedding- especially if it was a professional photo.

I would be shocked if they minded. I sure wouldn't mind. 

Crop it so you don't see the ceremony. Bad composition would bother me far more than using a photo from someone else's wedding ;-) 

• edited September 2015
    You're over thinking it. I wouldn't even feel the need to ask the couple, unless it was a pro photo from their photog, to ensure you were allowed to use it based on the couples print rights.

I would however crop it and ONLY send the STD to VIPS, bc you can't unring that bell. Anyone who receives a STD must receive an invite.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I can't imagine they'd mind. If I got a STD that had a picture taken at our wedding I'd think that was awesome. If it was one of their professional photos I'd probably ask (but again I really doubt they'd mind) but if it was just you took I don't think you even need to ask.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If I received an STD containing a photo taken at my wedding it wouldn't bother me.

• We sent bottle cap magnets as our STDs and had various pics put on them. One of them was from the photo booth at one of FI's relatives wedding. I'm not sure if he got one with that pic or one of the other ones, but I doubt he would care wither way. I wouldn't.
  • Unless it's a professional-looking photo, I personally prefer STD's to have multiple photos on them. To use one obvious "snapshot" as the STD comes off seeming a bit cheap to me (even if it cost a fortune to print). Whereas if you did a STD with a couple snapshots, I think that's fine. 
  • Thanks ladies! It is not a pro photo, just one a friend snapped for us and I made pretty via Instagram. Yeah, the STDs will only be sent to the VIPs or those who will have to travel, which is only a few. I think we are sending out like, 30 STDs.

@MandyMost ... what? How does one photo on a STD come across at "cheap"? If it is a good quality, nice photo, who cares if it's only one? Kind of a ridiculous statement. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015

MandyMost said:

Unless it's a professional-looking photo, I personally prefer STD's to have multiple photos on them. To use one obvious "snapshot" as the STD comes off seeming a bit cheap to me (even if it cost a fortune to print). Whereas if you did a STD with a couple snapshots, I think that's fine. 

I'm sorry but what?  So if it had three pictures it would seem more expensive to you then if it only had one?  That is the silliest thing ever.  What if the three pictures were crappy but the one picture was professional?  Would you still say the same thing?
    ----boxes-----
    Well obviously you pay by the picture in STD so more pictures =pure class....
  • edited September 2015

MandyMost said:

Unless it's a professional-looking photo, I personally prefer STD's to have multiple photos on them. To use one obvious "snapshot" as the STD comes off seeming a bit cheap to me (even if it cost a fortune to print). Whereas if you did a STD with a couple snapshots, I think that's fine. 

I'm sorry but what?  So if it had three pictures it would seem more expensive to you then if it only had one?  That is the silliest thing ever.  What if the three pictures were crappy but the one picture was professional?  Would you still say the same thing?

********eta box**********

Wha what? Yeah, no.

I agree with Maggie on this one and as P&V overlord that's the final word.

PS postcard STDs save money on postage and save trees...ya know, cheap in a good way ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• MandyMost said:

STUCK -

How does this even make sense? You honestly jump to conclusions regarding people's budgets based on the number of and quality of pictures on STD? Then what? What would you do if you received a STD with only one non-professional (determined by your expertise, of course) photo? Would you deem this wedding acceptable for you to spend your time going to?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • MandyMost said:

STUCK -

How does this even make sense? You honestly jump to conclusions regarding people's budgets based on the number of and quality of pictures on STD? Then what? What would you do if you received a STD with only one non-professional (determined by your expertise, of course) photo? Would you deem this wedding acceptable for you to spend your time going to?
    And who really frigging cares what a couple's budget is or whether or not an STD looks luxe vs cheap. 

I mean, of all the things to judge, seriously WTF?  Catty as hell.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards