justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015

ALSO, EVERYONE IN CHARGE IS RELATED TO EACH OTHER
    #KimDavis
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/05/travel/muslim-flight-attendant-feat/

People lining up to support this womans religous liberties in 5...4....3....2....1....
  • Options
    cj3561 said:
    Although it's a little creepy people went so far as to track when her children were born, apparently she got pregnant with her 4th husband while she was still married to her 3rd.

She is the epitome of a waste of space.
    oooh! Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't like that! But it's ok, the worst is being gay. You can break every rule in the bible but make sure you're not gay. Even though the bible doesn't actually say it's wrong. It's totally wrong. I know cuz Jesus told me. 
    Eta _______box_______ That was a misprint, Jesus actuallysaid he hated FIGS
    Sorry, but the book of Leiviticus does actually say it is wrong.  It also says a lot of other things are wrong, like eating pork, charging interest on a loan, not observing Sabbath, etc. 
    People need to remember that the Bible is not a book at all.  It is a library of books, which were written by different people who lived in different times and in different circumstances.  Different books in the Bible often contradict each other.
    Jesus did not have a word to say about homosexuality.  He was too busy talking about love.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

cj3561 said:

Although it's a little creepy people went so far as to track when her children were born, apparently she got pregnant with her 4th husband while she was still married to her 3rd.

oooh! Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't like that! But it's ok, the worst is being gay. You can break every rule in the bible but make sure you're not gay. Even though the bible doesn't actually say it's wrong. It's totally wrong. I know cuz Jesus told me. 
    Eta _______box_______

That was a misprint, Jesus actuallysaid he hated FIGS

Sorry, but the book of Leiviticus does actually say it is wrong.  It also says a lot of other things are wrong, like eating pork, charging interest on a loan, not observing Sabbath, etc. 
    People need to remember that the Bible is not a book at all.  It is a library of books, which were written by different people who lived in different times and in different circumstances.  Different books in the Bible often contradict each other.
    Jesus did not have a word to say about homosexuality.  He was too busy talking about love.

Oh honey, go look up the word "joke", and I don't give a shit about your bible.

• Options
    Too bad.  Just don't go around making statements about the Bible that aren't true.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    edited September 2015
    CMGragain said:

Too bad.  Just don't go around making statements about the Bible that aren't true.

Definition of joke:something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act.

The bible was written by Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill.

The bible was furst piblished on fruit by the foot.

The bible contains lost chapters of Harry Potter when read backwards.

• Options
    Kim Davis has just been released from jail by the orders of the judge who ordered her jailed.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Kim Davis has just been released from jail by the orders of the judge who ordered her jailed.
    I'm not surprised.  Being jailed on  contempt of court charges does not keep them in jail for long.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited September 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    I'm not surprised.  Being jailed on  contempt of court charges does not keep them in jail for long.
    I would only be surprised if she humbly accepts that her duty includes issuing the marriage licenses and does it without further argument or debate about it.
  • Options
    Are people just getting jobs these days so they can not do them and prove some sort of point? I have recently seen articles about an Amish woman working at the DMV who won't give drivers licenses and a Muslim flight attendant who won't serve alcohol. I checked thess weren't Onion articles or anything, but is any of this true (and insane)?  
  • Options
    TNDancer said:

Are people just getting jobs these days so they can not do them and prove some sort of point? I have recently seen articles about an Amish woman working at the DMV who won't give drivers licenses and a Muslim flight attendant who won't serve alcohol. I checked thess weren't Onion articles or anything, but is any of this true (and insane)?  

You could check snopes.com.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    TNDancer said:
    The Amish thing was a joke.  It was to make a point that a very dangerous precedent would be set if she is allowed to not follow the law of the land.

There are always going to be extremist religious groups, heck you do not have to belong to a religion to have believes.   I do not want to live in a country that some random gov't official is allowed to deny me something simply because they do not think I'm "allowed" something.

ETA - the flight attendant one is real.   She worked on a regional jet I think.  They often have limited staff.   I would think it would be harder to reasonably accommodate her request has there might not be anyone else there to serve the drink.   

The boat I worked on ran 7 days a week.  We had a 7th day adventist employee.   We were able to accommodate his request not to work Saturdays.  That is because we had enough staff to cover.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

If you're going to wag your finger at people making inaccurate Biblical statements, you better make sure yours are on point.  

Pork, mismatching crops and outfits, stoning rape victims and all of the other garbage that the Old Testament lays out laws for is no longer valid because Jesus dies for our sins in the New Testament and we are wiped clean.  The New Testament clarifies that God's law is meant to show men their need for salvation, not the means to the end.  

The religious argument against same sex marriage is just another example of the Religious Right picking and choosing which parts apply to them and using their said beliefs to hurt and condemn other people while sitting on their own sinful asses - hence @drunkenwitch's joke is not only funny, but poignant as hell!
    I think you are misinterpreting my post.  I am not against same sex marriage.  Many Christians, including myself, support it.  I do not interpret the Bible literally.  I also agree that Old Testament Leviticus has been replaced in Christianity.
    My point is that the Bible is a library of books, written at different times for different purposes.  We need the historical background of the Old Testament to help us understand where Jesus was coming from.  If we are to ignore the Old Testament completely, then why read it at all?
    I think the joke would have been funny if it had not contained a false statement.  I think homophobes are sad, frightened, and pathetic.  It makes me very sad when people use Christianity as an excuse to discriminate, or to spread hatred for homosexuals.  I don't think Jesus would have liked that at all.
    I'm packing for a vacation today, so don't waste time flaming me.  I think I agree with most of you.

PS.  When Drunkenwitch posted "I don't give a shit about your Bible", I found THAT offensive.  I don't agree with all peoples religious views, but I wouldn't post anything insulting to another religion.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

I think the muslim one only has grounds because they (the company) initially made 'modified' work duties for her, so that she didn't have to serve alcohol. So she was doing that for like 2 months, then another employee complained, so they took away her modified duties. I'm sure if they had've initially said 'No, its part of your job to serve alcohol, you have 2 choices' it wouldn't have any grounds. But since they gave her concession, then took it away, she now has some grounds.

I liked the amish joke ones though :)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    The flight attendant one is real. She was given a religious exemption and when a customer wanted alcohol, the other flight attendant would serve them. This went on for months. Then another attendant filed a claim against the Muslim attendant for not doing her job and various other things that were pretty blatantly racist. The airline then revoked the religious exemption and put her on unpaid leave.

ETF: Religious accommodation, not exemption. Duh.
  • Options
    The flight attendant one is real. She was given a religious exemption and when a customer wanted alcohol, the other flight attendant would serve them. This went on for months. Then another attendant filed a claim against the Muslim attendant for not doing her job and various other things that were pretty blatantly racist. The airline then revoked the religious exemption and put her on unpaid leave.
    I had not heard that part. 

That is BS.  Yes, it fucking sucked I had to work every fucking Saturday and my fellow employee never did.   I even  had more seniority ( a good 5 years worth more).   I'm not going to lie.  But other than the Saturday thing, there were no other issues.  He also worked all the holidays (unless they were on a Saturday) in return.  I also like the guy.  

I've flown ton of times.   Except for my row, I do not think there is a huge amount of alcohol being sold to make it an issue.  Annoying, sure.  But I'm nice enough to understand the reasons behind me having to serve alcohol to someone.

Now if it was a full restaurant that served alcohol and I was a bartender or waitress, well then I think I might think it's a little unfair.

• Options
    The flight attendant one is real. She was given a religious exemption and when a customer wanted alcohol, the other flight attendant would serve them. This went on for months. Then another attendant filed a claim against the Muslim attendant for not doing her job and various other things that were pretty blatantly racist. The airline then revoked the religious exemption and put her on unpaid leave. ETF: Religious accommodation, not exemption. Duh.
    I'm torn on this one as I believe it is another case of picking and choosing what tenants of your religion you value.  Is she asking to be able to pray 5 times a day?  Does she take a break at sunset to eat dates during Ramadan?  They allow her to wear her headdress.

I think the company is in the wrong for suspending her for utilizing the accommodations they made for her, and the complaining co worker is clearly a racist nitwit, but I have a hard time with people voluntarily working jobs whose tasks are against your religion.  I imagine she also wouldn't work in a butcher shop or a bar for the same reason.
  • Options
    cj3561 said:

Eta _______box_______ That was a misprint, Jesus actuallysaid he hated FIGS
    Oh honey, go look up the word "joke", and I don't give a shit about your bible.

No need to get disrespectful, boo. :)@drunkenwitch

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards