Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Brunch

We're having a brunch buffet and I'm looking into adding a bit to the "lunch" part of our menu, as I think it's very "meat" heavy.  I'm considering adding some grilled cheese and tomato soup to the menu.  Given everything else, do I need a veggie dish since tomato soup isn't really a vegetable or will that cut it?

If so, what do you think I should add?

Here's our menu:

Fruit & cheese plates (primarily for cocktail hour, but will be available for the whole meal)
Mini pastries (primarily for cocktail hour but will be available for the whole meal)

Egg casserole w/ cheese, red peppers, and onion
French toast with maple syrup
Bacon
Breakfast potatoes

Green salad w/ 3 dressings
Carved sirloin
Pulled pork sliders

Re: Brunch

• Why not add some roasted veggies to go along with your meat options?  Because I don't really think of soup as being a good side for sliders or carved meat.

• What about a vegtable soup?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I might be biased because grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favorite meals! You have fruits, some veggies in the egg dish, you've got breakfast potatoes, and you have a salad. I think you're covered but if you really want something else I like the suggestion of roasted veggies. Or maybe corn on the cob, that's always yummy and would go with pork sliders and the steak. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2015
    I think I will look into roasted veggies and/or some kind of corn. Thanks ladies!

ETA and the grilled cheese and soup of course- I really enjoy it in the fall and winter; don't eat it as often in warmer months.
  • OMG this is making me hungry. and wanting brunch really badly. I like the roasted veggies idea too!

• roasted veggies all the way!!!

• You had me at Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. I'll take all of that please. With a giant Bloody Mary.
  • You had me at Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. I'll take all of that please. With a giant Bloody Mary.

We're doing mimosas, no Bloody Marys... :-(
  • edited September 2015
    Why do so many of my posts have random words in quotation marks...? May have to head to the tech board.
    We're doing mimosas, no Bloody Marys... :-(
    I love Mimosas too, bloodies just sounded like the go-to pairing with the cheese and soup :)

We are now doing a bloody mary bar at our morning-after brunch, since I ran into a guy who works for a local (to the wedding city) vodka company while emceeing the food show last week, and he offered to give us a bunch of vodka for the wedding. Score!!! :)
  • Whyyyyyyyyy no bloody maryssssssssss

We could only afford to offer one or the other and my fiance doesn't like tomato juice.

We could only afford to offer one or the other and my fiance doesn't like tomato juice.

Omg so sorry! I was drunkenly knotting. Obvi just mimosas is perfectly find.
    Omg so sorry! I was drunkenly knotting. Obvi just mimosas is perfectly find.
    No worries- I wasn't offended. 

• I think your menu sounds wonderful the way it is. I would be so happy with the options as a guest at you wedding.
  • I don't think it's meat heavy!!!  Meat heavy would be if you had Bacon, Sausages, Ham, Pulled Pork, Turducken, AND beef...  (now, knowing my friends, they'd call that the world's greatest event buffet!!!)..  As the others mentioned - only thing missing would be a veggie side...
  • As a vegetarian, I would be happy and full :) Good job!
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks all! We worked pretty hard to make sure we had our GF, vegetarian, and diabetic guests covered without breaking the bank.

At minimum we'll be adding the roasted veggies since they're only a buck fifty per head. I think we'll probably do grilled cheese and soup too just because I really enjoy it and I think our guests would too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards