Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Should the engagement and wedding ring match?

We're going wedding ring shopping tomorrow and I just wondered what your opinion was on whether you prefer engagement ring and wedding ring to match one another? For example, the same colour metal. Or whether a mix of metalsl looks okay too? This probably should be in another chat section but I thought it might fit into 'tradition' as many of my friends have matching rings and it's perhaps more traditional, whereas I was thinking of going for a rose gold wedding ring (my e-ring is platinum). What do you think?

Should the engagement and wedding ring match? 50 votes

Both e-ring and wedding ring to 'match'
60% 30 votes
Go for a mix
40% 20 votes

Re: Should the engagement and wedding ring match?

• My rings are both the same metal (platinum) but they are not a matching set in any way. In fact, I had my wedding band before my e-ring! The ring was given to me by my now H as a very personal, special gift. It made sense to make it my wedding ring. It is a round diamong prong set eternity band. My e-ring band is made of smaller pave round diamonds and is also an eternity band. The center stone is an asscher cut. I can wear the rings together or separately.

• Try several different options and see what you like best. It doesn't have to match. I attached a picture of my e-ring and below it is a picture of a band that is similar to one I found at our jeweler.

I'm buying a mixed-matched ring set from Stella and Dot (so its not like real diamonds or anything) that has a more traditional band and one similar to the more "funky" band that I like. I'm going to wear both around for awhile and see what I like best. Though honestly I'm only doing that because I'm super indecisive and change my mind a lot.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• One of my co-workers has mixed metal between her wedding and engagement rings. I actually really like the look. But I feel like this is a personal opinion situation. If you like the look, you are the one who has to live with it. I agree with the PP who said try wedding rings one both ways to see what you like.
  • I think it depends on the rings.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'd stick with platinum just for the simple fact that you never have to have it replated.

I chose similar bands, but not a matching set. I wanted a plain simple wedding band I could wear separately if desired. I'm

But in the end, only your opinion matters on this subject. Only you have to like your ring, you're the one that will be wearing it everyday.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• For me, it depends on what you like, and what you're planning on wearing.  My SIL has a traditional plain gold band.  Her E-ring was a custom design, shaped like a flower.  She never wears her e-ring, except on special occasions on her right hand.  They didn't go together at all (different metals, styles, etc.), but since she doesn't wear the e-ring most times, it doesn't matter.  

Mine are soldered together, so they match.  

• My e-ring and wedding band match in that they were both done custom and and are the exact same style (besides in the center stone) but don't match in that they were done in white gold (e-ring) and rose gold (wedding band). I love it. And I am able to wear them separately if desired.

See pic.
  • If I received mismatched rings it wouldn't bother me.  I'd just be happy to receive any rings.
  • I love rose gold, but if I were going to wear it next to a platinum ring every day, I'd have them soldered together because the rose gold is going to get worn much faster by contact with the heavier and more durable platinum.

FWIW, while my rings are both white gold with sapphires, they don't exactly match. My e-ring has a carved floral pattern on the side and the band is filigree curves with milgrain and alternating marquise sapphires and round diamonds. They 'go' but do not 'match.'
  • I picked that they should match, because I'm not personally a fan of mixed metals. But my preference shouldn't dictate what goes on anyone else's finger.

You should have a third option for it doesn't matter, because you should get whatever you like. There are no rules.
  • edited September 2015
    MyNameIsNot said: I picked that they should match, because I'm not personally a fan of mixed metals. But my preference shouldn't dictate what goes on anyone else's finger.
    You should have a third option for it doesn't matter, because you should get whatever you like. There are no rules.

Edit why no boxes?!? I agree. I'm having my wedding band made to match engagement ring (which was reset by the same jeweler) but that's because
    I want a matching set, if you like the look of mismatched rings, you do you.
  • Mine are both white gold, but definitely don't match, and I have a yellow gold spacer.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Duchess Catherine has a platinum-set engagement ring and a yellow gold wedding band, and I think it looks fine. My e-ring is white gold but my wedding band is sterling silver. You can tell they're different if you look closely but it's not immediately obvious they're different metals.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Thanks for all the responses ladies! I think I might go for a mix, as I really like how the rose gold and platinum look together, but I won't be wearing them both very often as I am a midwife and we're not allowed to wear rings with stones to work. Loving the pics of your rings too! So many beautiful choices.
  • We're still deciding what color/metals we want for our wedding bands. 
    My engagement ring is a rose gold half-eternity band and as an afterthought I got a tungsten band with a blue and black inlay to match my fiance's engagement ring (his is stainless steel with a red and black inlay) and I think they look great together. The rings stand out from each other and the color of the tungsten compliments the diamonds in my eternity band.
  • Zombie thread
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards