Wedding Etiquette Forum

Kids at the shower

So I'm planning my friends bridal shower. We are going to have brunch and mimosas. Her 8 year old sister is one of the bridesmaids. Would it be ok to have her there but not invite the other guests children?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Kids at the shower

• That's fine.

But just a word of caution, don't mention the booze as a reason it's not open to other kids.   Just say that you need to limit it to the BP and adults. 
  • Thanks ladies. I appreciate the help
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds reasonable to me.
  • Besides not splitting up families, children are essentially their own guests. Thus, you can invite some children, but not others.

In your particular case, fine to invite only one child, as said, she is a BM, she should be there. 
  • asimms12 said:
    So I'm planning my friends bridal shower. We are going to have brunch and mimosas. Her 8 year old sister is one of the bridesmaids. Would it be ok to have her there but not invite the other guests children?
    My daughter had her goddaughter (who is her cousin and my niece) as a bridesmaid. She was 10 at the time. No other children were invited and no one thought it odd. They saw her as a member of the wedding party first and foremost, rather than as a child.
  • asimms12 said:
    When you say "other guest's children", would these children be invited to the wedding? You don't have to invite them either way, but if the children are not invited to the wedding, they really shouldn't come to the shower either. 

And if they are invited to the wedding, that still doesn't mean you have to invite them. Usually not every wedding guest is invited the shower anyway. The bride should have given you a guest list, Did she add any other children?  Why is this even a question?

Like pp said, children are guests just like adults, so one child invited does not mean all children. 

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    My 11 year old cousin went to my shower, and no other children were invited, even though other children were invited to the wedding. She wasn't in the wedding party either. And mimosas were involved (though I don't know what that has to do with anything).

• I am just putting this here to vent pretty much...

None of my family is really close to a cousin of mine.. Her kids are probably they worst kids I have ever met in my entire life... The 8 year old daughter at my grandmas funeral ran around yelling and laughing "Grandma x is dead" "Grandma x is dead" .......  She also asked me once if I was divorced and why.. Her mom responded with laughing and saying it's ok she just likes to ask a lot of questions........ How that event popped in her mind to ask is beyond me but anyway...

We did not want her to come to the shower for my sister in-law. No other kids were invited...  Cousin was the only one listed on the shower invite. Sure enough cousin shows up with her daughter... We are all far to passive to say anything but the whole time the child is making comments about everything, asking rude questions and yelling.

Now we are planning a baby shower... It's been asked cousin not be invited because they don't want her daughter there...

This is what happens when people don't follow etiquette rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards