Options

Can you help me pick a picture?

2»

Re: Can you help me pick a picture?

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Can I ask a question to you southern brides?  So I get that bridal portraits displayed at the wedding are the norm, but what about the groom?  Why is it only the bride that gets displayed?

I guess that is why I never understood this tradition.  It says to me that the bride is more important then the groom.
    No idea. Maybe because traditionally, the bride's parents pay for the whole shebang and they want to show her off? ...that's only a guess, I really don't know. 

I'm not really a fan, honestly. IMHO, they're a little AWish. Plus I don't really get basically getting wedding ready, taking pictures, and then not getting married... I didn't do them for all of those reasons, so I can't really speak to why someone would want them.
    EDIT BOX BOX BOX!
    Though I'm in the Midwest, I know one person who had bridal portraits done. Not only that, they had an oil painting done. 
    The family was wealthy so I just figured it was "one of those things." Showing off their 23 year old daughter seemed like something her parents would do. 
    BOXBOXBOXBOXBOX

Wow...that is interesting.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Can I ask a question to you southern brides?  So I get that bridal portraits displayed at the wedding are the norm, but what about the groom?  Why is it only the bride that gets displayed?

I guess that is why I never understood this tradition.  It says to me that the bride is more important then the groom.
    No idea. Maybe because traditionally, the bride's parents pay for the whole shebang and they want to show her off? ...that's only a guess, I really don't know. 

I'm not really a fan, honestly. IMHO, they're a little AWish. Plus I don't really get basically getting wedding ready, taking pictures, and then not getting married... I didn't do them for all of those reasons, so I can't really speak to why someone would want them.
    EDIT BOX BOX BOX!
    Though I'm in the Midwest, I know one person who had bridal portraits done. Not only that, they had an oil painting done. 
    The family was wealthy so I just figured it was "one of those things." Showing off their 23 year old daughter seemed like something her parents would do. 
    BOXBOXBOXBOXBOX

ETA Box------------------------------------------------------
    It kind of reminds me of the Oscars where people watch to see what dresses the women wear, because they're always magnificent and exciting to see. The men's attire, not so much. A black tux is a black tux. 

Wedding dresses are really exciting to see so you show off the bride a ton. However, it's a totally different situation at the same time because the Oscars are all about the whole academy, but a wedding is about only the two people getting married. If that makes any sense at all lol. 
  • Options

EDIT BOX BOX BOX!
    BOXBOXBOXBOXBOX

It kind of reminds me of the Oscars where people watch to see what dresses the women wear, because they're always magnificent and exciting to see. The men's attire, not so much. A black tux is a black tux. 

Wedding dresses are really exciting to see so you show off the bride a ton. However, it's a totally different situation at the same time because the Oscars are all about the whole academy, but a wedding is about only the two people getting married. If that makes any sense at all lol. 
    And add in the fact that the bridal portrait is being displayed at the wedding where people, if they want to look at the dress, can just go and find the bride in the flesh and blood to look at it.  They aren't just limited to the picture.

Oh and the couple aren't celebrities who could make or break the careers of the fashion designers that they are wearing.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015

EDIT BOX BOX BOX!
    BOXBOXBOXBOXBOX

And add in the fact that the bridal portrait is being displayed at the wedding where people, if they want to look at the dress, can just go and find the bride in the flesh and blood to look at it.  They aren't just limited to the picture.

Oh and the couple aren't celebrities who could make or break the careers of the fashion designers that they are wearing.

ARGH! Boxes!!! ---------------------------------------------------
    yeah so pretty much I have 0 understanding of this tradition. I'm also from the northern midwest, though, so I didn't even know this was a thing. 
  • Options
    I'm a Texan, and while I've seen this tradition a lot, I don't really get it either.  Bridals weren't included in our package, and I definitely wasn't going to pay extra for them, PLUS pay for my hair to be done twice!

I had no desire for a bridal shoot or a picture of just me at the reception, BUT I do wish my photographer had taken a few more photos of me.  There's only a couple of just me, and they don't get me head to toe.  I had cute shoes that were never shot (and were ruined that night).  And I feel that I don't have any really good pictures that show my dress in its entirety.  I was a little bummed, but it's no big deal.

@ OP, all those pictures are gorgeous.  I'd probably pick the 3rd just because I like the wide angle and the dramatic effect,

SaveSave
  • Options
    I like #3.  How early before the wedding are bridal portraits normally taken?  My dress wasn't even done with the fitting until about 10 days before the wedding.  And if I wore it, I probably would've gotten it dirty/creased/etc and would've had to bring it back to be cleaned or pressed!
  • Options
    They are all great in their own ways.  #1 is straight out of a bridal magazine, #2 is just beautiful, #3 feels intimate but I vote #4 for your bridal portrait.  It feels the most inviting and like a PP said, it highlights the veil without it being the centerpiece.
  • Options
    PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015
    What phenomenal photos!! You look beautiful and your dress is amazing.

I'm a little outside of the norm, but I like #2 and #4.

I'm leaning more towards #2 because it showcases the entire veil, which is important to you.

• Options
    I've never heard of this, but I love 2, but maybe it's not great for a portrait.  You look gorgeous.  

• Options
    Yeah, definitely a weird tradition and I'm not sure where is comes from. I liked the idea to see everything put together beforehand to see if I wanted to change anything. Granted, I could have done that on my own. The bridal pictures were included in our photography package for free basically. I did include an 8 x 10 of a picture of DH and I from our engagement pictures on the same table. 

I love the Old School reference because that's kind of hilariously accurate.

• Options
    monkeysip said:
    I'm a Texan, and while I've seen this tradition a lot, I don't really get it either.  Bridals weren't included in our package, and I definitely wasn't going to pay extra for them, PLUS pay for my hair to be done twice!

I had no desire for a bridal shoot or a picture of just me at the reception, BUT I do wish my photographer had taken a few more photos of me.  There's only a couple of just me, and they don't get me head to toe.  I had cute shoes that were never shot (and were ruined that night).  And I feel that I don't have any really good pictures that show my dress in its entirety.  I was a little bummed, but it's no big deal.

@ OP, all those pictures are gorgeous.  I'd probably pick the 3rd just because I like the wide angle and the dramatic effect,
    I have the same feelings.  I don't have one of those typical pictures of the train completely laid out (like OPs 2nd picture) that captures me from tip of train to top of head.  I have close ups of my train but no full length picture.  Kind of stinks, but like you said, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    Southern women - just curious, what do you do with that huge portrait of yourselves after the wedding?

• Options
    Southern women - just curious, what do you do with that huge portrait of yourselves after the wedding?

Mine sat on the floor in our spare bedroom until last weekend. DH hung it up in our bedroom. I felt weird putting it where everyone would see it.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    @emmaaa - I would feel weird hanging a huge pic of myself, too. But if it was the norm in my circle, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

• Options
    @emmaaa - I would feel weird hanging a huge pic of myself, too. But if it was the norm in my circle, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

@MairePoppy At least I love the picture :) HA! 

• Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    It would be pretty badass in a sweet walk-in closet/dressing room!
  • Options
    @MairePoppy I actually have a large canvas print of myself and one of H in our formal sitting room. So I guess that's what I did even though I didn't do a specific bridal portrait session. Both portraits came from our wedding photos. I've seen similar things in other homes. I had never heard of bridals before getting engaged and none of the photographers I interviewed even offered them specifically in their packages so maybe it's not a thing in the Atlanta area.

• Options

Everyone I know who does these puts them up in their formal living/sitting/parlor/whatever. That's another reason I didn't do them.... I always found it super odd and eye brow raising to have some giant portrait of myself.

But hey, people probably judge the stock photo I stole from a calendar and hung in the guest bathroom as art. 
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards