Chit Chat

If money were no object...

...How different would your wedding have been (or will be)? What kind of wedding would you have had?

I would have gotten married at Soldier Field (home of the Chicago Bears), invited way more people, had awesome tailgate-y type food and hired the obnoxious beer vendors.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: If money were no object...

• I think *most* of it would have been the same except I would have had a full bar instead of just beer and wine and maybe more food? IDK.

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    First, I would have gotten married in the barn pictured, instead of the one I did.  I also would have rented the wood farm tables and had real dishes instead of plastic, and probably done fancier centerpieces (no mason jars).  We would also take a honeymoon... I'd like to take 2 weeks and go to Yellowstone with our camper, but couldn't afford to take that much time off work.  ETA: I also would have had a full bar.  We bought our own liquor so we just had beer (2 kinds) wine (1 red, 1 white) and 3 liquors (vodka, rum, bourbon).image

Married 9.12.15
  • Would have gotten married at the same location (Raven's Stadium) but the ceremony would have been on the field and the reception space would have been decorated A LOT more.  I would have had fancier linens and chairs.  Flowers and candles would be everywhere.  I would have hired Poe the Raven's mascot to come and take pictures with guests.  I would have done a late night snack of stadium food.  I would have bought invites instead of making them.  I would have had fireworks go off when we had our first kiss and then even more fireworks later in the night.  And I would have hired Justin Timberlake to perform :)
    I should have clarified in my OP that you were not allowed to answer. 

Since I'm totes jelly of your wedding. Go away.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think it would have generally been the same, my caterer was amazing and I wouldn't have hired anyone else....but I might've added some extra things like an ice cream sundae bar, late night snacks, and individual mac & cheese in mini cast iron pans like this.

I loved my dress but I might have increased my dress budget just to see what else was out there.

I loved my flowers but I still would've added more to that budget. I definitely went all out already, but I think I might have added even more somehow.

I would have invited more people.

I would have hired a videographer.

I would've purchased the most expensive package from my photographer to get the super fancy photobook.

• @labro - I WANT THAT MAC AND CHEESE!!!

• @Maggie0829 It was SOOOO good at our tasting! But it was like...$5 extra per person for just the mac n cheese individual servings (because of the little cast iron rentals)?? I wanted it SO MUCH and had to force myself to say no!

• labro said:
    @Maggie0829 It was SOOOO good at our tasting! But it was like...$5 extra per person for just the mac n cheese individual servings (because of the little cast iron rentals)?? I wanted it SO MUCH and had to force myself to say no!
    I would have done the thing we tell brides not to do and had a bucket of that in the back where I could go grab spoonfuls at a time, but no one else would get it LOL!

• If money were no object, I would still get married at the venue I am getting married at, because I am in love with it. I mean, who can resist this view?

But the wedding would be on a Saturday instead of a Sunday - we chose Sunday only because it's cheaper. Saturdays are more convenient for everyone.

I would also have a nicer catered dinner instead of having BBQ catered and more beverage selections instead of just wine and champagne.

• I think I would have done everything the same except had more food, like maybe added a seafood option, and a taco bar (H and I love making tacos together, and we love eating them even more) 

And maybe more liquor? Our beer and wine selection was good, and we were able to do top-shelf vodka, bourbon, and gin, but we couldn't afford anything beyond that like scotch, tequila, rum, etc. 

Oh and I probably would have hired a DOC just so I wasn't trying to oversee everything and get ready at the same time. Luckily I didn't have to do much but it was still stressful having to worry about it. 
  • pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    edited September 2015
    Would have gotten married at the same location (Raven's Stadium) but the ceremony would have been on the field and the reception space would have been decorated A LOT more.  I would have had fancier linens and chairs.  Flowers and candles would be everywhere.  I would have hired Poe the Raven's mascot to come and take pictures with guests.  I would have done a late night snack of stadium food.  I would have bought invites instead of making them.  I would have had fireworks go off when we had our first kiss and then even more fireworks later in the night.  And I would have hired Justin Timberlake to perform :)
    STOP. Me too. Our first dance was to Mirrors, so if money was no object, I would have totally had him perform.

I also would have gotten married in the same venue (Central Park Boathouse). We probably would have had the centerpieces we originally requested a quote for - Long  branches with hanging candles. I loved my dress, but I would have probably gone with a custom dress. Instead of the blue shoes I wore, I would have worn the blue manolos that Carrie wore in the SATC movie (in love with those shoes). And we would have probably added more to the menu like maybe a cheese station or the iced vodka and caviar station. Just some fun extra touches for the guests. And an ice sculpture, cuz why not?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I think I would have done everything the same except had more food, like maybe added a seafood option, and a taco bar (H and I love making tacos together, and we love eating them even more) 

And maybe more liquor? Our beer and wine selection was good, and we were able to do top-shelf vodka, bourbon, and gin, but we couldn't afford anything beyond that like scotch, tequila, rum, etc. 

Oh and I probably would have hired a DOC just so I wasn't trying to oversee everything and get ready at the same time. Luckily I didn't have to do much but it was still stressful having to worry about it. 
    Yes to the bolded. I was fine with doing most of it myself but it would have been so easy with a DOC

• 1.Hire a wedding planner/DOC and security
    2.Increase my dress budget from $800 to like.. $2000?
    3. Hired security

I guess pay for wedding party attire and hotels? I was pretty happy with everything I bought/rented, I just wish I hadn't stressed so much over everything for so long. 

My sister in laws boyfriend is an ass so even though he was asked to leave once it would have been nice to have kept him out (and kept him from stealing and breaking 2 $50 bottles of grey goose, scream "no one in the family loves me" "Lnixon8 is a bittttttch", punch my husband in the face and break his glasses and try and tackle my brother in law which ripped his pants). Good times! At least it was after midnight and most guests had left... 

• Hmm...

I loved a lot about my wedding. Probably would have added a videographer, a few extra food choices, and maybe transportation for guests to an after-spot. Maybe paid to have the family we would have liked there flown out and put up. We knew our elderly relatives wouldn't be able to fly out to where we live, so we just kept it small, invited close friends and parents.

Oh we definitely would have taken a honeymoon. Although that's not really a money issue as much as its a DH only gets so much vacation time.
  • lnixon8 said:
    1.Hire a wedding planner/DOC and security
    2.Increase my dress budget from $800 to like.. $2000?
    3. Hired security

I guess pay for wedding party attire and hotels? I was pretty happy with everything I bought/rented, I just wish I hadn't stressed so much over everything for so long. 

My sister in laws boyfriend is an ass so even though he was asked to leave once it would have been nice to have kept him out (and kept him from stealing and breaking 2 $50 bottles of grey goose, scream "no one in the family loves me" "Lnixon8 is a bittttttch", punch my husband in the face and break his glasses and try and tackle my brother in law which ripped his pants). Good times! At least it was after midnight and most guests had left... 

Holy shit! And she's still with him?! And I thought my sister was nuts... 
  • Oh yeah, I definitely would have hired a DOC, if not a total wedding planner.  And would have bought instead of doing some DIY stuff.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Yeah I would have hired people to do all the things. I didn't even have centerpieces or flowers or any decorations. I wouldn't have known where to even start. That would have been planner's problem.
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    edited September 2015
    I would've gotten married here: image

and gone all out. It's a hotel in my town that overlooks our lake. I would've invited WAY more people, tons of food and alcohol, fireworks at the end of the night, a band, a more expensive dress. H went to a wedding here where the couple upgraded everything and said that it was absolutely amazing. Plus the view is gorgeous. I also would've gotten a much better photographer. And I wouldn't have lifted a finger and just bought everything and done no DIY. 
  • NOT.ONE.THING!

It would have been nice to honeymoon longer, but I only have so much vacation time. So, if I was super wealthy and didn't work, I guess that would be the one thing I would have changed!

100000% agree with this! 

I'm also a bit surprised by the people who are saying they would spend a lot more on their dress. I actually wished I would have spent a lot less on my dress. I mean, my dress was great, and it was within my budget, but in the grand scheme of things it's now sitting in a box and will never be worn again so it just seems like a waste of money to me. Splurging on food, liquor, and travel can't ever be a waste of money. 
  • NOT.ONE.THING!

It would have been nice to honeymoon longer, but I only have so much vacation time. So, if I was super wealthy and didn't work, I guess that would be the one thing I would have changed!

100000% agree with this! 

I'm also a bit surprised by the people who are saying they would spend a lot more on their dress. I actually wished I would have spent a lot less on my dress. I mean, my dress was great, and it was within my budget, but in the grand scheme of things it's now sitting in a box and will never be worn again so it just seems like a waste of money to me. Splurging on food, liquor, and travel can't ever be a waste of money. 

THIS!!! I spent ~$4k on my dress for my first wedding and then turned around and sold it on Ebay afterwards. When I got engaged again, I was determined to not spend that much on my dress because I saw it as a waste. I ended up having my dress custom made for me by a seamstress acquaintance for $275!!!

• NOT.ONE.THING!

100000% agree with this! 

THIS!!! I spent ~$4k on my dress for my first wedding and then turned around and sold it on Ebay afterwards. When I got engaged again, I was determined to not spend that much on my dress because I saw it as a waste. I ended up having my dress custom made for me by a seamstress acquaintance for $275!!!
    I wish I'da done this. I went shopping 11 times, never LOVED anything and settled on an okay dress because it was cheap. It never even occured to me that I could have a dress made.  I don't think I would have increased my dress budget (unless I was a schmillionaire) because like Novella said, it's a one time thing and super expensive. 
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    edited September 2015

NOT.ONE.THING!

100000% agree with this! 

I wouldn't have spent a lot more, but I'm in the minority of people who HATED their dress. I hate even looking at my wedding pictures because I hate my dress that much. If I hadn't been pinching my pennies so much and gone for the dress I really wanted (~$500 more with alterations), I would've never taken that thing off and felt a lot more beautiful that day.

*edited to clarify
  • NOT.ONE.THING!

100000% agree with this! 

Yeah my dress ended up being a bit over my budget anyway, and then went WAY over once you factored in alterations and the veil etc.  And, I didn't LOVE my dress.  I felt good in it, and got lots of compliments, but I wasn't insanely crazy about it.  So I can't see spending even more as I'm not sure there's a dress out there that I'd be nuts for.
    Married 9.12.15
  • The only thing I would have changed is the day we got married. Chicago was pure chaos our wedding weekend and I knew it would be. But it was the only weekend our venue had available for the next 6 months. 

Other than that, I wouldn't have changed anything. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Since the topic of the thread is if money is no object, I actually would have increased my dress budget too. If money is no object, then theoretically I wouldn't think the money is wasted, wearing the dress just once, right? I would have gone for a Hayley Paige gown. 

I would have gotten married at a winery in Napa rather than in our hometown.

But that's it... I loved the smaller size of the wedding, we had great food and booze, and danced our butts off. Nothing else to change. 

• edited September 2015
    I haven't had my wedding yet, but at this point I think the only thing I would change if I had more money would be the venue. There are a lot of super gorgeous venues within an hour of my family, but they were WAY out of budget for us, so we opted for something closer that is still beautiful, but not 110% my ~*perfect vision*~. I'll survive, though! :P

ETA: Also, if we had unlimited money, I'd pay for everyone's hotel and the WP's clothes/hair/makeup.
  • I actually wouldn't have gone bigger.  If anything, I would have the same venue, food, etc but just make the guest list smaller and more intimate.  I would have hired a DOC coordinator for sure just to make things even less stressful (it was pretty stress-free to begin with).  The biggest thing I would've done was use the money to take a kick-ass honeymoon.  I loved our honeymoon, but we could've gone a lot bigger if money (and time) was no object.
  • Honestly, I don't think I would have changed anything. We did a cruise ship wedding (married at port before leaving, so guests could attend without going on cruise).  If money were no object, I may have chosen a higher class cruise line.  We chose Carnival because it fit with other people price points better (for those wanting to cruise), but my one requirement was that we had to do a newer ship if we did Carnival.  And the ship was actually nice and we had a great time.  And I was so happy with my wedding, my coordinator, and how well it all went that, in hindsight, I'm not sure I would change anything at all or change cruise lines.  Our wedding wasn't that expensive, we probably spent around $12k including everything for wedding, 7-day cruise, and 5 days in New Orleans, including spending money, but I didn't feel like I was lacking on anything at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards