Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Shot List

Our planner asked us to make a shot list for our photographer which I've started on, but to be honest a lot of "posed" photo options aren't coming to mind.

I've also read a few comments from ladies on this board that indicated they didn't make a shot list and regretted missing some things. So, what were those shots you wanted but didn't get?

So far we have the typical family shots but really pared down the list- not doing aunts and uncles and cousins and such, just parents and the one grand parent we think will show. I have shots with my brother and niece if they decide to come, but that's highly unlikely.

I'd like a shot with my "styling team."

We have no wedding party. We have a hired officiant who we don't know outside the wedding.

Is there really much more to shoot?

Re: Shot List

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Bride
    Bride with mom
    bride with dad
    bride with both parents
    bride with each sibling
    bride with all siblings
    bride with her nieces and nephews
    bride with parents and siblings (no in-laws)

groom with mom
    groom with brother
    groom with 2 sisters
    groom with mom and siblings
    groom with all the siblings

bride and groom
    bride, groom and his mom
    bride, groom my parents
    bride, groom, all parents
    bride, groom with my siblings and their spouses
    bride, groom my parents, siblings, their spouses, nieces and nephews
    bride, groom, him mom and siblings (there were no in-laws  or nieces/nephews)   - This one was some how missed.  Very disappointed it was missed).

Then we did all the WP ones.     I specifically told my photographers to take any pictures guests asked of them.    With or without us. 

My parents wanted shots of their siblings, my cousins, the group of their friends.   
    MIL got shots of her and her sister.  All her family.    
    All of my dad's cousins did a shot together.    
     We made sure we did a group shot of all the guests from the islands. 
    We did a cousin shot with my side.

ETA - I forgot we got alone one with just DH.  He wasn't a fan of doing them though.  Nor did we print out any of them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thank you Lynda!

• Yes thank you Lynda, and for Feeley for posting the question.  This is something else I have to work on this weekend so this was a very timely post for me.
    Married 9.12.15
  • This is super helpful.  Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You are welcome.

I forgot we got pictures of my parents and just DH.  And me with just MIL.   Those both turned out really nice.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My sister has (2) faves that weren't on her list but I would probably add.

1.  A picture of both dads and the groom.  Because they didn't see each other before, she had no idea this photo was taken and loved it.
    2.  The first look with our dad.  He came down after we all got ready and before we went up to walk down the aisle and it's a really sweet photo.

• lyndausvi said:
    Bride
    Bride with mom
    bride with dad
    bride with both parents
    bride with each sibling
    bride with all siblings
    bride with her nieces and nephews
    bride with parents and siblings (no in-laws)

groom with mom
    groom with brother
    groom with 2 sisters
    groom with mom and siblings
    groom with all the siblings

bride and groom
    bride, groom and his mom
    bride, groom my parents
    bride, groom, all parents
    bride, groom with my siblings and their spouses
    bride, groom my parents, siblings, their spouses, nieces and nephews
    bride, groom, him mom and siblings (there were no in-laws  or nieces/nephews)   - This one was some how missed.  Very disappointed it was missed).

Then we did all the WP ones.     I specifically told my photographers to take any pictures guests asked of them.    With or without us. 

My parents wanted shots of their siblings, my cousins, the group of their friends.   
    MIL got shots of her and her sister.  All her family.    
    All of my dad's cousins did a shot together.    
     We made sure we did a group shot of all the guests from the islands. 
    We did a cousin shot with my side.

ETA - I forgot we got alone one with just DH.  He wasn't a fan of doing them though.  Nor did we print out any of them.
    Thank you so much for this! My photog just asked and I was having trouble thinking of everything I wanted. And thanks OP for asking!
  • Believe it or not, photos of ME!!! After going through all the wedding photos, there was only one photo of me alone. It would have been nice to have a few more photos of just me, I have some really nice individual photos of hubby and lots of shots of him & i and then with everyone else.
  • When making your list use first names instead of wedding titles. Whether everyone is standing in group for designated photo time or you have to pull people from your cocktail hour it's just easier. 

It is easier to listen for and get your butt to the photographer when somene screams "Tiffany, Valerie and lnixon8" rather than "bride, sister and future sister in law".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards