Attire & Accessories Forum

Rehearsal dinner dress

I haven't purchased my rehearsal dinner dress yet, I wanted to get a few opinions before I decide :)
The rehearsal dinner will be at the Chesapeake Inn in MD, it is on their upper deck area that is covered by a permanent roof, but has open side with a railing. The feel of the venue is water front with a more casual dock/bar area down below, and a formal dining room for fancy dinners and an even more formal ballroom to hold weddings. I suppose our area is a little more in-between, not necessarily shorts and a t-shirt, but cocktail dresses aren't required. I have posted a some pictures below of a few dresses I have narrowed my choices down to. Any help/advice is appreciated!

image imageimage image

Re: Rehearsal dinner dress

• the 4th is the one I'd personally choose so I like that, looks casual but bridal for an event like that.  The first one is also a favorite and could easily be reworn but looks kind of short.  Ultimately 1 or 4 
  • Maybe number 3? I don't know, they're all pretty but aren't they a little short for dinner time?
  • They're all very pretty but you don't have to limit yourself to just white. Any color will do. You don't even have to wear a dress. A nice pair of pants and nice top will probably be okay for the venue you're describing.
  • They seem a bit short for dinner. I like 1 the best followed by 3.
  • Ooh, the Chesapeake Inn is pretty! A lot of people I know got married there, my mom and her fiance are looking into it themselves.

Personally, I like 1 and 3.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• They all look a little junior high to me.
  • Thanks everyone :). I was trying to decide on what would be appropriate for the venue type FI's parents have chosen. The feel of the area they booked is dress number 4 type. At least that's what FMIL said she saw when they were given the tour and they were allowed to peek out to see the event that was going on. I wear scrubs a lot, and leggings with big tops when I'm not working, so I was trying to stay away from pants and be a little more flirty-feminine. 
    I have found a few dresses in other colors; peachy, turquoise, even a nice navy...FI's mom thinks it will look odd because I won't look "bride-y" ... I didn't think the color I chose would matter since the rehearsal dinner is for everyone who already knows who the bride and groom are and it's just rehearsal, the next day is when I'll be wearing my "bride-y" attire...
    Some of the other dresses I liked are below....
    Calvin Klein Petite Sleeveless Pleated Dress

• The floral one's adorable.
  • I would wear whatever is your style and you feel comfortable in. Agreed it doesn't have to be white because everyone will definitely know who the bride is. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• This dress apparently only comes in a size 10 right now but it was one of my faves when looking for shower dresses: http://www.dressbarn.com/dresses/?&view=list&isort=globalpop&srt=0&noindex=true&ts=dressbar&cnt=300 
    Dress barn has some really cute stuff and so does Sears but I hate looking online at Sears, they're definitely one of those places you have to go to the store and look at them.
  • I wore mint green to my rehearsal dinner and floral to my shower. I'm not a white person, definitely not a white dress person, so I chose dresses that I could wear to work/other weddings throughout the year. Everyone will know who the bride is, don't limit yourself to only white if you don't want to!
  • I really like the first one, followed by the blue one. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm wearing black to my rehearsal dinner so you can definitely wear any color you want to/feel comfortable in. I love the first out of both the groups of dresses you shared (obviously I have a thing for polka dots...) I also like 3 of the first group of white dresses; is it Modcloth? I almost bought it for my shower.

• You said there is an open side railing and seating down below.  Have you looked up towards the deck from that area?  I'd wonder if everyone dining down there will be able to see right up such a short dress.  
  • Like missa011, I'm wearing black to the rehearsal dinner. It's the color I feel most comfortable in.

That being said, I still love 1 and 3 but the red and black polka dot is also my favorite too. It's ridiculously pretty.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks again everyone!! The 4th dress from the original post comes in a bunch of other colors, unfortunately it won't allow me to choose the fabulous blue I love to post a pic, but it's a very stunning royal blue that would be perfect for other events as well :)
    kasasr1024: the link brought up an entire page, not just one dress :( but it looks like a website worth checking out!
    missa011: yes the 3rd dress is from Modcloth. I'm not usually one for lace, but it's so cute and springy without being old fashioned.
    kaos16: the area we will be using over-looks the water. The bar/patio area is not directly underneath, it's just on the lower level so it would be difficult to get to right below our deck without a decent amount of effort. 
  • Thanks everyone :). I was trying to decide on what would be appropriate for the venue type FI's parents have chosen. The feel of the area they booked is dress number 4 type. At least that's what FMIL said she saw when they were given the tour and they were allowed to peek out to see the event that was going on. I wear scrubs a lot, and leggings with big tops when I'm not working, so I was trying to stay away from pants and be a little more flirty-feminine. 

I have found a few dresses in other colors; peachy, turquoise, even a nice navy...FI's mom thinks it will look odd because I won't look "bride-y" ... I didn't think the color I chose would matter since the rehearsal dinner is for everyone who already knows who the bride and groom are and it's just rehearsal, the next day is when I'll be wearing my "bride-y" attire...
    Some of the other dresses I liked are below....
    Calvin Klein Petite Sleeveless Pleated Dress

Love the red!
  • I like #3, assuming it's not too short.  Those other ones look like you'd be dangerously close to flashing your hoo-ha to somebody if you weren't careful.  

Or maybe I'm just old.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I wore this to my RD and I was worried that with it being short and strapless it would be "too much" but I put a navy blazer over it and shorter heels and worked just fine. I agree with PP about not having to do white. My picks would be 1 (maybe with a blazer or bolero) and the floral in the second group.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/betsey-johnson-strapless-embroidered-lace-sequined-dress?ID=1988738&PartnerID=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc=LINKSHARE-_-2-_-11-_-MP211&LinkshareID=J84DHJLQkR4-Hs8A20L3PCrRepSB9J_51w
  • I vote for 3 from the first group and 1 from the second, but the lace number is probably my favorite and I think can be worn for many occasions.
  • kasasr1024: I do like that first one! I love bright colors, and I love how it's flowy :)
    charlotte989875: I like the idea of wearing a bolero over a strapless, especially since it might cool off in the evening in May. I planned on wearing these super cute sandals if I went with one of the white/ivory styles just for a pop of color:Girls' Kendal Wedge, Coral Crochet, hi-res

I already have them in the above color, but they are available in black, pink, teal, white, & yellow as well.... and yes, they are little girls' American Eagle for payless...(teeny feet have perks sometimes)

I'm thinking that with the general vote being for dress #3 from the first group, I will look for a place I might be able to try something similar on and make sure I like the lace before buying. I'm only 5'0 tall, so unless the dress comes in petite, usually JRs sizes and Misses sizes are long on me, so upskirting will be minimized :)

Thanks for the input everyone!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards