Chit Chat

If money were no object...

13»

Re: If money were no object...

• We would have had a night wedding instead of a day wedding and invited everyone we'd have liked (close to double the number).

Thing is, had money been no object, my wedding might not have been as good. My dream venue was out of our range, which turned out to be a good thing. The one we ended up with was gorgeous and had the most amazing food ever. The "dream" venue was also gorgeous, but we went to a wedding with that venue's caterer after ours and it was really disappointing. The food was really inconsistent - some really good and some horrible. After that, I was SO glad the original place was too pricey for us.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I would have had the reception at a hotel instead of the restaurant we had, would have had a full coordinator from the beginning and I would have paid for my girls' hair and makeup. Also would have been able to invite about 20-30 people we had to cut/leave out

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I guess if money was no object I would have flown everyone down to the islands.    Rented out Necker Island in the BVIs for the wedding.

But really that is just semantics.   Except for the weather (which no amount of money can control) our wedding was what we wanted.   Everyone we wanted to invite was invited, our food was amazing, we had a premium open bar.   The only thing that didn't go as planned was getting married on the beach.   Which, as I already said, no amount of money could control Mother Nature.

Necker Island website:

http://www.virginlimitededition.com/en/necker-island

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I should preface this by saying that I loved our wedding, and I feel incredibly lucky to have the budget that we had.  The day was amazing.  That having been said, if money were no object:

-I would have had my wedding at the Boston Public Library.

-I would have hired a full-service wedding planner instead of someone I paid for a set amount of hours of work who had terrible communication skills.

-I would have had a live band in addition to our DJ (who was awesome).

-I would have done tall, bigger centerpieces instead of the lower centerpieces we did.

-I would have invited more people, and I would have paid for hotel rooms in downtown Boston for my OOT guests.

-I would have added some more fun stationary stations to our cocktail hour, and I would have had a food truck to do our late night snack.

-I would have given myself no budget for my dress, and the time I was worrying about the budget/searching for things on-budget I would have spent finding a dress that I loved and that fit me perfectly.  I am short and have curves, so I have lots of issues with clothes fitting me properly, and that translated into a really stressful dress experience.  I felt okay with the dress I ultimately wound up wearing, but I didn't LOOOOOOOVE it, and I still question it sometimes.  I probably had unrealistic expectations, but for that one day I wanted a piece of clothing that I was over the moon about and that fit me perfectly, and the dress I had didn't quite get there.

-I would have invited more people.

-I would have jazzed up our ceremony decor by a lot with more flowers, a gorgeous arbor, beautiful lighting.  .  . really given it a "wow" pop.

I have expensive taste.
  • I should preface this by saying that I loved our wedding, and I feel incredibly lucky to have the budget that we had.  The day was amazing.  That having been said, if money were no object:

-I would have hired a full-service wedding planner instead of someone I paid for a set amount of hours of work who had terrible communication skills.

-I would have done tall, bigger centerpieces instead of the lower centerpieces we did.

-I would have invited more people, and I would have paid for hotel rooms in downtown Boston for my OOT guests.

-I would have added some more fun stationary stations to our cocktail hour, and I would have had a food truck to do our late night snack.

-I would have given myself no budget for my dress, and the time I was worrying about the budget/searching for things on-budget I would have spent finding a dress that I loved and that fit me perfectly.  I am short and have curves, so I have lots of issues with clothes fitting me properly, and that translated into a really stressful dress experience.  I felt okay with the dress I ultimately wound up wearing, but I didn't LOOOOOOOVE it, and I still question it sometimes.  I probably had unrealistic expectations, but for that one day I wanted a piece of clothing that I was over the moon about and that fit me perfectly, and the dress I had didn't quite get there.

-I would have jazzed up our ceremony decor by a lot with more flowers, a gorgeous arbor, beautiful lighting.  .  . really given it a "wow" pop.

I have expensive taste.
    BPL is my dream place for a wedding.
  • If money was no object there would not be much different except I would up the food to more and the more expensive option and do seated.
  • Oh and an awesome honeymoon. Because fiancé would be stressing about missing a day of school and we would go someplace amazing
  • The venue I booked wasn't my first choice, but now that I think of it, I wouldn't change it.  It's perfect for us.  The only thing(s) I would add is maybe a dessert bar later in the night, extended bar/party times and I'd pay for everyone's flight/car/rooms.

But you know what? I have 11 & 1/2 months to still win the lottery.  Who knows, maybe money won't be an object by the time my wedding rolls by.... Wait, would I have to buy lotto tickets in order to win?

• Well this is fun! I got my dream venue so I wouldn't change that, but I would have ALL the food, having to decide what to have is exhausting and I love food. I would add late night snacks and a hot chocolate bar, and pay for the fire pit with s'more kits. 

The other big thing I would want to do if money were no object is give everyone ski passes for the weekend if they wanted to ski, most of our guests are making it a long weekend to ski but it would be nice to be able to extend that to them. The last big thing would be to rent out the entire lodge so everyone could stay there for free!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • frenchiekinfrenchiekin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2015
    arrippa said:
    I should preface this by saying that I loved our wedding, and I feel incredibly lucky to have the budget that we had.  The day was amazing.  That having been said, if money were no object:

I have expensive taste.
    BPL is my dream place for a wedding.
    Same.

Although I was in love with our venue and would not have changed it.  Our wedding was so awesome that I find it hard to want to change anything, even though we were pretty modest with most things budget-wise (for our area anyway).  

I think if we had unlimited money...

We would have a ton more food.  Just endless food.  All the time.  Especially a taco and margarita bar.  

Our bridal party would have zero expenses and our guests hotels would be paid for.

We'd probably jazz up the place settings more, though I completely loved ours.

Definitely would have hired a videographer.

DEFINITELY would have hired a planner.  Especially for those last few months.

We'd have extended the reception by at least another hour for more dance party.

We'd take the longest honeymoon ever and travel  the world (because endlessly rich people don't have jobs with finite vacation time).

ETF word

• I would have:

- Hired a personal trainer and a chef to help me lose those last 20lbs before the big day.

- Rented out an entire resort, so none of the guests would have to pay for lodging

- Hired private jets from three different cities so everyone could get down there

- Hired a videographer (we had our friend do it, but he, of course, forgot the battery to his GoPro)

- Hired the better photographer. I was in love with the work of one photographer, but I couldn't justify his cost. And, my photos suffered.

- Hired the local cover band. I ended up seeing them three times that week because I loved them! Wish I could remember their name since I'll be back on the island on Saturday.

- Hired busses or drivers to get everyone home from the wedding

- Did a trash the dress session (in my rehearsal dress) on the ocean side of the island.

All mini-stuff really. I loved our location, and our planner. I loved our wedding.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • We would have used a venue in Chicago with a view of the city, like something on the top floor of a fancy hotel, or even Adler Planetarium, which has an amazing view of the skyline.

We would have invited more people. Our list could have been around 400 people pretty easily.

Customized catering menu and a mashed potato bar.

Top shelf everything.

One of those super-talented, photojournalism-style photographers who charge about $8000 for three hours or whatever.

An art deco-era theme, right down to my dress and his suit. NOT GATSBY. Art deco. Nobody gets shot at my wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards