Moms and Maids

MOB dresses that don't frump?

Hi y'all!!

It's been a while since I've been on any board, but so much has happened re: planning. I'm in the Atlanta area, and my mom and I have been in deep discussions about MOB dresses. She's so wonderful, saying that she'll wear "whatever" as long as that's what I want her to wear. I've told her that I just want her to be comfortable. We BOTH agree that most MOB dresses are kinda frumpy...

Does anyone have any leads for a great place to go MOB dress shopping that doesn't age my mother 20 years?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOB dresses that don't frump?

• BHLDN has a store in Atlanta, and their MOB dresses are lovely!
  • Thanks y'all!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tell her just to look for a regular dress - both my mom and fmil got dresses made by Jovani - not mother of the bride. NO FRUMPINESS!

• I found both my MOG and MOB dresses at Nordstrom. I shopped in their regular dress department. I also did some recon shopping online by way of specific designers who include lines at Nordstrom. Neither of my dresses were frumpy, although they were both very different from each other. Encourage her to look online at designers such as Calvin Klein, Tadashi Shoji, Ralph Lauren, or Adrianna Papell for ideas.
  • edited September 2015
    My original plan was to go to Nordstrom, but I accidentally found my dress at Macy's when I wasn't even looking for an MOB dress. I tried it on for size and ordered it on line for the color that I wanted. 

Bride's grandmother found her dress at David's. No alterations needed so she was able to walk out of the store with her dress in hand. 

• My mother bought her dress at Dillards. Any department store should have good options.

• MobKaz said:
    I found both my MOG and MOB dresses at Nordstrom. I shopped in their regular dress department. I also did some recon shopping online by way of specific designers who include lines at Nordstrom. Neither of my dresses were frumpy, although they were both very different from each other. Encourage her to look online at designers such as Calvin Klein, Tadashi Shoji, Ralph Lauren, or Adrianna Papell for ideas.

My mom got a Tadashi dress...  she loves it, and it's not frumpy AT ALL- it's a beautiful designer evening gown! 
  • MobKaz said:
    I found both my MOG and MOB dresses at Nordstrom. I shopped in their regular dress department. I also did some recon shopping online by way of specific designers who include lines at Nordstrom. Neither of my dresses were frumpy, although they were both very different from each other. Encourage her to look online at designers such as Calvin Klein, Tadashi Shoji, Ralph Lauren, or Adrianna Papell for ideas.
    My mom went to Nordstrom for both of her MOB dresses and was very happy both times.
  • My mom got hers at JC Penney!  It was just a simple navy sheath and she wore a cream lacy looking jacket thing from Chico's with it.  It looked really cute and not frumpy at all.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • My mom had a hard time at first, finding a dress she liked (when looking at local dept stores and dress shops) but ended up ordering some options from Nordstrom and had a hard time deciding which to keep.  They offer free shipping and free returns so def no risk to try a few options

• MobKaz said:

My mom got a Tadashi dress...  she loves it, and it's not frumpy AT ALL- it's a beautiful designer evening gown! 

The dress I wore for my daughter's wedding was a Tadashi dress.  I HATE wearing dresses and am not in the least bit frilly or flashy.  I found a dress that was elegant but structured, with a minimum of beads or lace.  I actually loved it!
  • Mine was a Thia dress from Saks. Not at all frumpy. I also tried on a Tadashi dress that I really liked a lot. Don't look at MOB dresses. They are just frumpy!
  • David's has a beautiful selection that aren't frumpy of MOB/general formalwear style dresses.  Nordstrom's, Macy's, Sears, JCP all have formalwear that she can try on or order/try on/return that are her style.  There are tons of options out there, just avoid over-thinking the decision!
  • I went to a wedding once where the groom's mother looked EXACTLY like Maria Portokalos on Tula's wedding day- purple "dress suit" and all. 

• My mom sewed her own dress for my wedding, purchased a David's Bridal MOB dress for my sister's wedding, and ordered one online that was not specifically a MOB dress for my other sister's wedding.

I would just look for dresses at any store that sells nice dresses. But honestly, not all MOB dresses are frumpy. I have looked at the David's MOB dresses and there are several that I, a 20-something woman, would wear for a wedding or any other dressy occasion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards