Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Dad & Step-dad, who walks me down the aisle?

My biological father lives out of state and while I have always had a decent relationship with him, he has missed out on a lot of important events in my life. He will be flying in for the wedding and mentioned something about my "hopefully my step father doesn't mind him walking me down the aisle." I never even told my father he would be doing that by himself so I was kind of thrown off guard. My step father has always been there for me and was practically the one who raised me. I'm really torn on what to do. I'd like both of them to walk me down the aisle but I don't want either to feel less important. Ahh! Why does everything have to be so complicated. Advice?

Re: Dad & Step-dad, who walks me down the aisle?

• Also I should mention, I am not having a reception so I can't do any- one walks me down the aisle - one has first dance - type of deal
  • edited September 2015
    Knottie1432084919 said: My biological father lives out of state and while I have always had a decent relationship with him, he has missed out on a lot of important events in my life. He will be flying in for the wedding and mentioned something about my "hopefully my step father doesn't mind him walking me down the aisle." I never even told my father he would be doing that by himself so I was kind of thrown off guard. My step father has always been there for me and was practically the one who raised me. I'm really torn on what to do. I'd like both of them to walk me down the aisle but I don't want either to feel less important. Ahh! Why does everything have to be so complicated. Advice? BOXESSSSSSSSSSS------------------------------------
    No one can answer this except you. If you want them both to walk with you, ask them both to walk with you. 
    Knottie1432084919 said: Also I should mention, I am not having a reception so I can't do any- one walks me down the aisle - one has first dance - type of deal

ANOTHER BOX-----------------------------------------------
    What do you mean you're not having a reception? You need to host
    something after the ceremony. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I am having an early morning, intimate ceremony, then we are heading off! We didn't want it to be big so having it early and not serving food will weed out the ones who aren't truly coming for us. 
  • I am having an early morning, intimate ceremony, then we are heading off! We didn't want it to be big so having it early and not serving food will weed out the ones who aren't truly coming for us. 
    Preemptive box...

Etiquette and proper hosting wise, you really should have something after the ceremony. A reception, by definition is to thank people for coming to your wedding. Even having a cake and jug of lemonade in your dining room or back porch would be nice. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I agree with PP, you need to host something to thank your guests for coming to witness your marriage. It doesn't have to be a large party at all, but a reception is for your guests.
    You've got to be kidding me. People are flying in from out of state and you can't even be bothered to serve them some coffee and bagels, much less spend some time with them?

WTF?
  • edited September 2015

I am having an early morning, intimate ceremony, then we are heading off! We didn't want it to be big so having it early and not serving food will weed out the ones who aren't truly coming for us. 

You've got to be kidding me. People are flying in from out of state and you can't even be bothered to serve them some coffee and bagels, much less spend some time with them?

WTF?

***fix the damn boxes TK***

This.
  • You could have them both walk you down the aisle? Or neither?

I also have a father that I have an okay relationship with and a step-father that I have a much better relationship with. I have no idea who thinks who is walking me down the aisle, but the answer is my FI.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    That's a ridiculous copout.  If you're having guests at your ceremony you must host something for them afterwards, appropriate to the time of day (so in your case, breakfast).  This is one of the rudest, shittiest, and most selfish wedding-related things you can do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards