Moms and Maids

What food would you want while getting ready?

Hi Everyone,

I am having the hair and makeup artists come to the hotel the morning of the wedding for us. 

ALL of our wedding party is not from our area. So, we are planning on bringing some brunch food to the hotel for them. (The hotel does also offer room service if they would like that).

My question is, if you were out of town, and getting ready in a hotel, what food would you like?

I was thinking of doing something really simple like an assortment of bagels and cream cheese. Would this be okay, or should I include other options?

There is also a starbucks across the street, and we have a DOC. Is it appropriate to ask our DOC to take a starbucks order from our wedding party, and do a run for us? The DOC will have a helper, but including Mom's, sisters, and SO's, there will be about 15 people. I'm not sure if this is what she's there for, or if this is overstepping.

Thanks!!

Re: What food would you want while getting ready?

• Personally I think sending the DOC out for coffee is pushing it. She's there to coordinate your wedding, not coffee runs for people. 

I would do bagels, cream cheese, jams, an assortment of fruit. I had my venue bring in an assortments of drinks as well, and coffee for everyone. 
  • Personally I think sending the DOC out for coffee is pushing it. She's there to coordinate your wedding, not coffee runs for people. 

I would do bagels, cream cheese, jams, an assortment of fruit. I had my venue bring in an assortments of drinks as well, and coffee for everyone. 
    Okay thanks!!

And thanks about the info on the DOC. I definitely don't want to offend or upset her the morning of. :)

• Depending what time your ceremony is, I would also add in a lunch option to the bagels.  I had bagels and pastries for breakfast and then had chik fil a nuggets and waffle fries picked up for a lunch later.  Our ceremony started at 5, so I knew I needed to feed my WP breakfast and lunch.  Where my H got ready, BIL picked up a bunch of hoagies over and above what foods I sent H over to his mom's house with.

I've been in weddings where we had pizza and sandwich trays to tie us over for the day.  I think carbs are important to keeping people happy and ready to stand and walk around for a bit.

• Oooo Chick Fil A. There is something I never thought of. :) That stuff is soooo good. I also love the pizza and sandwich ideas. Thanks!!

We will be getting ready late morning / early afternoon, so it will be more around lunch time. We are doing the wedding party photos and a first look at 2pm.

• what time will you be getting ready?      I've always had success with assorted mini-sandwiches, some veggies and dip and/or fruit.     Something that is one or 2 bites.

Sadly bagels are too carb heavy for me.  I have a sugar low about 45 minutes I have one unless I eat them with some sort of proteins.     I realize I'm in the minority, just saying that between getting ready, taking pictures,cermeony, more pictures a bagel isn't going to cover me to when other food arrives.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We are doing trays of mini bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit, a box of coffee and some OJ.  There is a local bagel chain (Brueggers for anyone near Boston) that does small catering trays like this that make it super easy.  We have to start hair and makeup at 8am at the hotel so a) I want to make sure everyone is fed and b) I don't want my BMs to kill me for having to get up so early, so COFFEE AND CARBS.

I think I might bring in a couple pizzas/salads for lunch before we leave for the venue around 2.  Cocktail hour is at 4:30 so that's quite a time to go between breakfast and then without something else.

If you are asking what I'd prefer, I would say something light but filling (like bread and fruit are good together).  A bunch of fried food would make my stomach feel awful for the day so just keep stuff like that in mind too.  Healthy options that will keep everyone going are always good.

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! 

They will be getting ready between 9:30-2 (depending on what time they are with the hair and makeup artists).

First look and wedding party pics are at 2pm, then FI and I leave for ceremony space at 3pm, ceremony is at 4pm, with cocktail hour right afterwards.

So there is a potential with a couple hour break without food. 

We have Brueggers in my area and I love them! Doing a catering tray sounds perfect and super easy.

I'd like to do something healthy as well (I need to fit in the dress!). Love the salad and fruit suggestions.

After reading your responses, I think I'll have bagels, fruit and coffee ready at 9am for everyone, and then bring in some sandwiches and salads around noon.

• My SIL's wedding was at 2pm.  I think they started getting ready about 7-8.   

They had an assorted sandwich tray for the WP (and SOs) bus for after the ceremony on the way to the reception.  OMG that thing was attacked!  It was like the entire WP had not eaten in days.   They all were stuffing their faces they were so hungry.     

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    My SIL's wedding was at 2pm.  I think they started getting ready about 7-8.   

They had an assorted sandwich tray for the WP (and SOs) bus for after the ceremony on the way to the reception.  OMG that thing was attacked!  It was like the entire WP had not eaten in days.   They all were stuffing their faces they were so hungry.     
    Ha that is hilarious!! Did your SIL also offer food for bfast and lunch?

I am also offering transportation for my wedding party and guests, but there will only be beverages on the bus.

ETA: Ceremony is at 4pm, and we are doing cocktail hour right after with food options and more drinks.

• My daughter's wedding was at 3:00 and they started getting ready at 9:00. We provided yogurt, granola, fruit, juice and coffee for breakfast. For lunch, the wedding planner brought in salads or sandwiches which were preordered from a nearby sandwich shop. She had suggested this so saw this as part of her job (we of course paid for the food). WP boarded the shuttle at 1:30.
  • I wouldn't care as long as there was something. At the weddings I've been in, we've had trays of deli sandwiches. Those ones you can buy trays of at a supermarket. They are actually really good!
  • Since this is brunch, bagels with cream cheese, butter, lox, jam, tuna and/or salmon, and fresh fruit, with coffee, tea, water, juice, and/or soda would be good.  Muffins or biscuits would also work. 
  • Since you will be at the hotel you could always talk to someone at the hotel and see if they can put an assortment of brunch items together for you (including coffee and juices) and have them brought up to your suite.  This way no one has to go anywhere to pick anything up.

• We had a similar timeline as you (FL at 2:30 ceremony at 4) and we did an assorted sandwich tray, cheese and crackers, fruit, chips, pretzels, OJ, coffee, and champagne. Oh and my mom brought me gummi bears because they're still my favorite.

Your plan sounds good, the best idea is to go with something that is easy to eat (not too messy) so you don't have to worry about major makeup touch ups.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I picked up Panera for everyone getting ready with me (so 4 people).  I just asked them what they wanted at Panera and went and got it while my hair was pinned up to set since she did that and then worked on FI's mom and my mom.  Got some weird looks there while waiting for the food, but whatever.  I do recommend ordering online ahead of time... I didn't and it took awhile that ended up putting us off schedule a bit.  

I picked Panera because I know I can eat their food without upsetting my stomach, it was a bit churny from nerves that day :)  I had grilled cheese and tomato soup.  I also don't know anybody that can't find something they will eat there.

ETA: My awesome MOH brought me a little "care bag" that had Diet Coke and peanut m&ms in it :)
    Married 9.12.15
    edited September 2015
    @Maggie0829, this was my first choice, and is still my preference. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't offer a catering tray, and told me if I wanted to place a room service specific order, I could do that. They do have a bar / shop in the lobby that has a lot of snacks and beverages. I could buy some of the beverages and set them out for the guests.

I guess I could ask if they wanted something off of the room service menu. It is just so ridiculously expensive, so I was looking for other options. There will be about 25 people total (including the WP's SO's, kids, ourselves, and parents).

Panera is another great idea as there is one close by, and I know they do catering packages!! And they have breakfast and lunch. :) I also love your suggestion about ordering online.

These are awesome suggestions everyone - thanks!!

• Pupatella said:
    @Maggie0829, this was my first choice, and is still my preference. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't offer a catering tray, and told me if I wanted to place a room service specific order, I could do that. They do have a bar / shop in the lobby that has a lot of snacks and beverages. I could buy some of the beverages and set them out for the guests.

I guess I could ask if they wanted something off of the room service menu. It is just so ridiculously expensive, so I was looking for other options. There will be about 25 people total (including the WP's SO's, kids, ourselves, and parents).

Panera is another great idea as there is one close by, and I know they do catering packages!! And they have breakfast and lunch. :) I also love your suggestion about ordering online.

These are awesome suggestions everyone - thanks!!
    I believe Panera will deliver if you do a catering order... we use them for that here at work a lot.  They do a really nice boxed lunch with a half sandwich, salad, chips, and a cookie.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Woohooo on the Panera delivery!! I honestly think that would be a lot easier instead of myself (and possibly my Mom and MOH) running around in the am picking up bagels, etc.

I'm checking out their catering menu online, and they have breakfast trays, and lunch trays, coffee, etc. This is by far the easiest option!!

Thank you @julieanne912

• Pupatella said:
    Woohooo on the Panera delivery!! I honestly think that would be a lot easier instead of myself (and possibly my Mom and MOH) running around in the am picking up bagels, etc.

I'm checking out their catering menu online, and they have breakfast trays, and lunch trays, coffee, etc. This is by far the easiest option!!

Thank you @julieanne912
    You're welcome, funnily enough, after my post, we got Panera delivery today because they are doing a new employee orientation at my location... so I got free panera too.  Today it was a salad, baguette, and a cookie.  
    Married 9.12.15
    edited September 2015
    Pupatella said:
    Woohooo on the Panera delivery!! I honestly think that would be a lot easier instead of myself (and possibly my Mom and MOH) running around in the am picking up bagels, etc.

Thank you @julieanne912
    You're welcome, funnily enough, after my post, we got Panera delivery today because they are doing a new employee orientation at my location... so I got free panera too.  Today it was a salad, baguette, and a cookie.  
    Haha that's awesome you had Panera today for lunch!!

I was checking out their catering menu, and saw that you can do a sandwich or salad (or even 1/2 of each) with chips or a baguette, and a cookie. It's perfect, and a lot of options!!

Their breakfast is awesome too. For lurkers, you can do a continental breakfast - includes pastries, bagels (with toppings), orange juice, and coffee. They also have a fruit tray.

Plus, they deliver in my area (minimum order of $10 bucks). That's very hard to beat!!

This just sounds so simple for the day of, and you can order online (added bonus). Anything stress free, convenient, with a lot of options is just awesome. :)

ETA: Plus, even with the delivery charge, and tip, it's still a lot cheaper than room service (and probably a ton more food for the amount of money).

• My bridal party members and I will begin getting ready in the late-morning and thru lunchtime, so I'm going to order a sandwich platter from a local sandwich shop. Something light and not too messy.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• May I suggest avoiding anything that leads to bad breath and stuff stuck in teeth? Hold the onions, hold the garlic, hold the pesto/spinach/broccoli. 

Great idea!! Thank you!! :)

• Finger food would be easiest. Veggie & dip, chick-fil-a, nothing heavy in carbs!!!!!! Definitely not the DOC's job to go get food. I would send a groomsman or FOG......
  • Klyeary said:
    Finger food would be easiest. Veggie & dip, chick-fil-a, nothing heavy in carbs!!!!!! Definitely not the DOC's job to go get food. I would send a groomsman or FOG......
    Not the groomsman's or FOG's job to get food either.  Get it delivered by a paid delivery person, or pick it up yourself.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    edited October 2015
    adk19 said:

Klyeary said: Finger food would be easiest. Veggie & dip, chick-fil-a, nothing heavy in carbs!!!!!! Definitely not the DOC's job to go get food. I would send a groomsman or FOG......

Not the groomsman's or FOG's job to get food either.  Get it delivered by a paid delivery person, or pick it up yourself.

>>>>>BOXES<<<<

It's not their job, but I think most people would be willing to do that for their close friends or their family...particularly because being in the wedding party can be boring when you don't have to do hair, make-up, etc. I know my FI or either of my bridesmen would probably be
    asking for excuses to get out of the venue and do something useful if he was hanging around while the bridal party got ready. (Though, TBH, I'm not going to ask them to be there that early anyway.)

Edited for boxes
  • Klyeary said:
    Finger food would be easiest. Veggie & dip, chick-fil-a, nothing heavy in carbs!!!!!! Definitely not the DOC's job to go get food. I would send a groomsman or FOG......
    Why wouldn't it be the DOC's job? They are being paid for their time, unlike the wedding party or family.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    edited October 2015

Klyeary said:

Why wouldn't it be the DOC's job? They are being paid for their time, unlike the wedding party or family.

>>>>boxes disappear on my phone<<<<

Aside from it not being their job....
    Because they are being paid to coordinate vendors, make sure set up is correct, deal with issues as they come up....if you send them out for food, they can't do all the things that require their specialized skill set. Anyone can run out for food, but not just anyone can do their job.
  • adk19 said:

Klyeary said:

>>>>>BOXES<<<<

It's not their job, but I think most people would be willing to do that for their close friends or their family...particularly because being in the wedding party can be boring when you don't have to do hair, make-up, etc. I know my FI or either of my bridesmen would probably be asking for excuses to get out of the venue and do something useful if he was hanging around while the bridal party got ready. (Though, TBH, I'm not going to ask them to be there that early anyway.)

Edited for boxes
    And if they offer, that's fine.  But really, the bride or groom should say, "okay, I need to run to Subway to pick up our party platter.  I'll be back in 10."  Then a groomsman or FOG or whoever can say, "Oh, please, let me take care of that.  You just sit here and finish this champagne.  I'll be back in 10."  But the responsible party should be ready and willing to take care of that if nobody offers.
  • edited October 2015
    adk19 said:
    adk19 said:

Klyeary said:

>>>>>BOXES<<<<

It's not their job, but I think most people would be willing to do that for their close friends or their family...particularly because being in the wedding party can be boring when you don't have to do hair, make-up, etc. I know my FI or either of my bridesmen would probably be asking for excuses to get out of the venue and do something useful if he was hanging around while the bridal party got ready. (Though, TBH, I'm not going to ask them to be there that early anyway.)

Edited for boxes
    And if they offer, that's fine.  But really, the bride or groom should say, "okay, I need to run to Subway to pick up our party platter.  I'll be back in 10."  Then a groomsman or FOG or whoever can say, "Oh, please, let me take care of that.  You just sit here and finish this champagne.  I'll be back in 10."  But the responsible party should be ready and willing to take care of that if nobody offers.

As I said in a previous reply, our planner considered ordering lunch part of her job. She recommended local sandwich shops and placed the order. She brought the order up to the suite where the girls were getting ready. So I guess it depends on the planner.

edited: no boxes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards