Chit Chat

What does your haircut cost?

I haven't been active enough lately, so I apologize if this topic has been broached recently...

I just got my hair cut during lunch and was shocked [in a good way] that it cost me $35 not including tip.  It was a cut and blow dry only in Concord, NH and I'm really happy with the result.  I realize that the cost of doing business, etc. is much lower here but I paid $78 in Boston and was under the impression that it was relatively cheap for the city.  After leaving the salon I picked up an $8 burrito, which seems pretty standard in the places I've been.

How much does your haircut cost?

Re: What does your haircut cost?

• No clue.    I get my hair colored, highlighted and cut for about $198.  Not sure the break down.  :/

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Not too sure. I think a cut alone is $50 with my stylist (who is currently MIA. Texted her on Monday as I need a fresh cut and color). In June I got a cut (chopped it off to above shoulder length) and highlights and it ran me $300 I believe. I'm in NYC, though.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Mine are usually around $40 with tip for a wash, cut and style at an average salon. If I wanted to go higher end, I could spend between $70 and $80 for the same thing. I'm too cheap to get my hair colored or highlighted - that would be around $150-$200 (MCOL area).
  • edited September 2015
    I pay $35 for a very basic trim, wash and blow dry. I've been following one stylist around from salon to salon since I was 8 and she's currently at a Great Clips. Sucks for her, but good for me. She's supposed to charge me extra for "long hair" but doesn't. 

ETA: In suburban Chicago.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • When I was going to a salon, a cut was around $50.

Now I go to a girl who works out of her house (or she comes to you) and she only charges me $25. The only downside is that she can't wash my hair for me, I have to come with it clean, and she sprays it down. The salon wash was always so nice.
  • I think I pay, like $13, at Supercuts.  I have tried "real" salons that charged around $50, but every time I went the quality was about the same as the cheap haircuts I got at the discount places. So, I figured it wasn't worth the extra money for same results. 

• Depends on if I go to the salon or this kind of quickie hair cut place. At the quickie hair cut place (just getting a basic hair cut) it's $20 before tip. When I see my stylist at the salon it's $50 for a wash, cut, and dry, and $70 for partial highlights. And then tip. It really depends on where you're going in my area/what kind of experience your stylist has.

• A cut at the salon I go to is $45 not including tip. Most places I've been to in the cities I've lived in range from $30-$50 (I'm in the northern Midwest and all four cities I've lived in are within a 200 mile radius of each other) 
  • Mine is $30-35, not including tip, for wash, color and style. I am in central IL. I can get it for as low as $12 if I don't do the wash or style, and just get the hair cut.
  • It depends. In the city I used to live in, I went to a cheapish place and it was low $20s. I went to a nicer place there that my sister recommended first and it was high $40s. I was shocked! Where I live now, I tried an average place and it was $35ish. All before tip. I'm going to try the cheapest place next time. An expensive haircut is not worth it to me. I don't get color or any fancy hair cuts. I basically just get long layers all over with a side bang. I have straight medium hair so no textures or curls or anything to work with. Probably the easiest hair cut on the easiest hair texture so I try to go as cheap as possible.
  • I pay $58 before tip.   That's for a wash, cut and blow dry  / style.   At 35, I'm lucky enough not to need to add coloring to that list.   (My 32 yo bro is mostly salt).

It's a bit on the pricey side but I love that my stylist does a great job on my curly-ish wavy hair that is thick while my frame is on the small side and so is my face.   I can go from quality cut to Rosanna Danna too quickly without a good stylist.   And I have had random people compliment my hair.   Since I refuse to believe I'm that good with product and a blowdryer, I'm going to give the credit to the stylist. 
  • edited September 2015
    I pay $65 for wash, cut and style in Chicago (ETA- before tip). There's a salon right across the street for which I won a gift certificate-- $150!! And with a separate hair washer, I had to tip the washer and the stylist. They did the same quality that my normal stylist does. I've been seeing her for 7 years now because she does an excellent job.
    Prior to finding her, I'd tried mid-range (Aveda... smelled like a teabag for days, ugh) and the low-cost places (a la Great Clips) and I can tell the quality difference. I will be devastated if my stylist moves to a salon I can't afford... but so far, so good. 

• I go to the Aveda school and have a student cut it so it is $15-17 depending on student and you can't tip. I've never been one to pay much for haircuts though.  Friends pay around $50 I believe for a cut + tip
  • Around $50, not including tip.  That is for a cut, blow dry and simple styling.

• I'm not sure what it is just for a cut. I get a cut, color, and style for about $90 before tip.

• Last time I got my hair cut it was $45 before tip for a wash, cut, and style (despite my insistence to just let it air dry) in Southern NJ. I'm dreading NYC pricing...but also looking for recommendations on stylists ;)
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I haven't had my hair cut in 9 months, and so I've been researching and it seems the going rate in northern Denver Metro is $40-50.  Which I think is crazy and makes me tempted to go to Great Clips or something. 

ETA, My mom goes to this great stylist, but she's at an "old lady" hair salon... ie lots of ladies in curlers under the dryer and stuff.... so not a hip atmosphere or anything  I had my mom's stylist do mine a few times when I was back home and her total for cut, color, and style was only $60!!  
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited September 2015
    I got to Mario Tricoci salon twice a year, that's it (and my hair grows really fast- but I don't do anything with it so I don't really care about it being styled all the time).  So I think my cuts are $80 each and then I usually do a 20% - 25% tip on that because I like my stylist and I only see her twice year.  I'm in the far-reaching Chicago suburbs and my salon is in a more affluent suburb.  ETA:  my price includes wash, cut, and dry/style.

• Mine costs $28. I go to a local barbershop (well, it's a local chain) that does women's long hair cuts for $28, men's cuts are $18 or something. If you want a wash and blow dry it's an extra $5. You can't make an appointment, and it gets pretty busy on weekends, but you get free beers while you wait.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine costs $28. I go to a local barbershop (well, it's a local chain) that does women's long hair cuts for $28, men's cuts are $18 or something. If you want a wash and blow dry it's an extra $5. You can't make an appointment, and it gets pretty busy on weekends, but you get free beers while you wait.

Clearly your local barbershop is the way to go!  Just thinking about free beers makes me thirsty.  I wish more barbershops cut women's hair; I think I've only asked at one or two places, but still. 

• I go to a salon in Chinatown (NYC) and get a shampoo (with 10 minute scalp massage), cut, blowdry, and style for $35 plus tip. I recently got my hair cut closer to home and it was $22 for just wash and cut.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I just got a huge cut, but before when my hair was waist-hip length, it was 40$ at my regular lady (super flaky, far, but fine cut) or my favourite girl (special occasion) $90. I started going to a salon that was closer to me, and was $50.
  • I pay $35 for a very basic trim, wash and blow dry. I've been following one stylist around from salon to salon since I was 8 and she's currently at a Great Clips. Sucks for her, but good for me. She's supposed to charge me extra for "long hair" but doesn't. 

ETA: In suburban Chicago.
    I can't believe it's that much in Great Clips! I thought they were like $15!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• One of my best friends has been a hair stylist her entire career, she used to do my prom updo's in high school because she went to the nearby trade cosmotology high school. Her mom owns an in-her-house salon for the two of them so she does mine for either $20 or an after cut lunch date on me. I know the going rate for salons around here are $40 before tip.

• The basic hair cut at my salon is $35. It's more if you use the owner and I think my stylist is a little more. I get a color, wash, cut, and style for about $150. Before tip. It's not bad and I only go every couple of months. I followed my stylist from an Aveda to a smaller salon, I love what she does with my hair. I tried another guy at the Aveda after she left and it just wasn't the same. So now I go to a slightly pricier place.

Although I'm starting to get annoyed with the smaller place's owner always super booking all the stylists. It's a small place with only 4 workers. The last few times my stylist has gone to cut a guy's hair while mine sets, which is understandable but I think it makes the whole thing take longer. And then she's usually in some sort of hurry because she has another appointment in the waiting area.
  • I live in Washington, DC, and I pay about $75 for a cut (I go to a really random hole in the wall place where my stylist rents a chair...and I found her through a friend of a friend).  She also spends hours on my hair (she makes her own schedule); I've gone to higher end salons (but not high end--just normal I guess compared to mine) and paid the same and been rushed in and out and not felt like I got good attention.

I used to go to a place in Rockville, MD (outside DC) and I think I paid $80. She was good but not great.  In college I went to a place in Baltimore (near my school) and I think I paid somewhere in the $65 range, but she was GREAT.

When I go visit my parents in Tucson, I pay $42 for a GREAT cut.

I'd pretty much pay anything for my hair though--its super thick and I've had a lot of bad cuts in my day.  And a bad hair day makes me grumpy.
  • Oh sweetie, aren't you glad you moved to NH?

When I first moved from small town NH to the big city I was horrified at the going price. I've gotten a bit used to it, but in my mind a haircut should cost $30. Especially because my hair is so easy. The place I currently use (in Jamaica Plain) charges $50. I used to see a stylist I liked in Back Bay for $50 but he raised his price to $65 and I simply couldn't continue to justify it (and it wasn't that convenient anyway).

On a similar note, I got my wedding updo in small town NH for $60 (including the trial). In Boston I bet it would have been $150+.
  • Cut and single process color costs me just under $100 (before tip).  That's the most reasonable, nice salon that I could find near me. 
  • I spend around $65 on mine, including a tip. The girl I go to is fantastic and when she was on maternity leave, the guy she left me with was also really good. I won't go to anyone else but the two of them (depending on how our shedules match). I live just outside of Baltimore

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate most of you right now, so cheap for cuts!!  Mine is $65-$70 plus tip for wash, dry and cut.  I also see the owner, and it takes her a bit longer cos I have long thick hair.  But, I only go 1-2 times a year and totally trust her, so I'm not moving.  She gets my hair

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards