Attire & Accessories Forum

Ideas for bridesmaids, other than holding bouquets?

Hi, any other ideas bridesmaids can hold, instead of flowers? I would really like to minimalize flowers all around in the whole wedding. Not to cut cost, but simply because I do not like flowers. Any suggestions. Something classy to go with our champagne/blush color theme and candle lit reception?

Thanks!

Re: Ideas for bridesmaids, other than holding bouquets?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ideas-for-bridesmaids-other-than-holding-bouquets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:5ca2c673-be22-44bf-bcb8-450989f81e8fPost:167b8b80-b516-476f-ba9d-6dde4a9eeed5">Re: Ideas for bridesmaids, other than holding bouquets?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some people do clutches, but I am not a fan. Why do they have to hold anything? The GM don't hold anything and manage just fine.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Since we are having a military wedding..is it cheesy to have them hold little American Flags? I do like the thought of having them hold nothing. Thanks!
  • Bouquets of flowers are historically carried b/c of some superstitous reason that I am too lazy to look up right now, but I'm sure would only take a quick google to find. So it's not completely random that they carry flowers and not some other item. As such, having the bridesmaids carry something else "just because" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not a parade. Just have them walk normally, or arm-in-arm with groomsmen if you dont want people to notice that they aren't carrying anything.
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ideas-for-bridesmaids-other-than-holding-bouquets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5ca2c673-be22-44bf-bcb8-450989f81e8fPost:a5585f75-fe9c-4be2-b200-639da39a197a">Re: Ideas for bridesmaids, other than holding bouquets?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas for bridesmaids, other than holding bouquets? : Since we are having a military wedding..is it cheesy to have them hold little American Flags? I do like the thought of having them hold nothing. Thanks!
    Posted by julespinkribbon[/QUOTE]

<div>I would not have them hold flags. Having a military wedding doesn't mean that it has to be a red, white and blue military "themed" wedding. I think the flags would be overkill.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ideas-for-bridesmaids-other-than-holding-bouquets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:5ca2c673-be22-44bf-bcb8-450989f81e8fPost:167b8b80-b516-476f-ba9d-6dde4a9eeed5">Re: Ideas for bridesmaids, other than holding bouquets?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some people do clutches, but I am not a fan.<strong> Why do they have to hold anything? The GM don't hold anything and manage just fine.
    </strong>Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

You know Liatris, I have never really thought about that before.  I guess I am just so used to seeing BMs holding something that them not holding something would just seem weird.  But it is true that the GMs don't hold anything and manage to look just as handsome in their formal attire.

I also agree that them holding flags would make it look like a parade.  If you don't want them to carry flowers then don't have them carry anything.

• You could do: clutches, parasols, landerns, other forms of candles, giant paper flowers, paper flower boquet, fans, pomanders, pinwheels, muffs.....

My mom got married inthe late 80's and had the girls carry hurricane lamps with taper candles and a few flowers around the base.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I went to a wedding were the BM carried candles.  The bride found some that looked real but were led lights instead of flames.  She had a ribbon tied around them to match the colors of the wedding.    It looked classy and I liked the glow it added to the wedding party.    I did a quick search Walmart, Target carry them I also found a site that was all flameless candels it is http://www.flamelesscandles.net.  So it looks like you could get them locally or from the net. Hope this helps.  

• I know ill end up doing flowers but I want it very simple then. You are all right about the flags looking like a parade. I would do candles but the wedding is 6 pm in the summer and still light out so it wouldn't really go well. Although I love candles! I'm just not a fan of flowers, they just look like a ball of blob to me lol. But ill find something simple, maybe just a single flower that looks good standing alone. Thanks everyone for your input!!! So helpful!
  • If you do a single flower, I've seen sunflowers & gerber daisys.  Those both look nice as a single flower because they're such a big statement flower.
  • I like the gerbera daisies! I also like a rose with baby's breath and ribbon.
  • Jules- I feel like you are almost my wedding twin, because we seem to have all the same ideas. I also am not a floraly kind of girl, so honestly, it really pains me to spend sooo much money on something that I don't really like, and is just going to die in a couple of days. I'm getting married in the middle of winter in a desert, so flower prices are especially silly here.

I'm probably doing a brooch bouquet for myself and since I'm DIYing it, I have considered making smaller ones for my BMs, but I havent really started yet and it really depends on how many extra brooches I can find and if they are really labor intensive. I have also considered making fabric flowers. I've seen other girls use parasols. I also just did a quick search on Pinterest and found everything from sparklers to feathers to fans to cookies. Do a quick search and see what fits the season and feel of your wedding.

Also, I might be in the minority, but I think the flags could be cute. I was literally just watching an episode of My Fair Wedding and this girl had a super cute red white and blue rustic Americana theme, and it was adorable, even though it was a little theme-y for my tastes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Please have them hold torches. Please have them hold torches and post photos. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Barbiiieee sry if I don't spell it right, I am doing this from my phone and don't have your name in front of me lol we just may be twins! Lol Love your ideas, and thanks for your input! I am going to google more ideas before I give into flowers. I'm going to give up on flags because my entire family is laughing at me and just won't let it happen. Lol! Good luck with your DIY project : would love to see how they turn out!
  • How Bout beautiful handmade tiaras and hair pieces
    They are made with the best Austrian and Czech Rhinestones!

You can order them on our site or if you want a custom one pelase email us support@hypeandfashion.com

Here is our link
    http://hypeandfashion.com/c/1035/hair-accessories
    Check them out they are beautiful and so unique

• As another option for a single flower, I've seen BMs holding a single Calla Lily. They are rather expensive flowers, though.
  • That's another great idea for a single flower..thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards